Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:32:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Return to Strange Aeons  (Read 17139 times)

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
Re: Return to Strange Aeons
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 04:21:23 AM »
Thanks for the comments much appreciated. I passed on the Hellboy KS as I already have enough games I'll never play (and time to start Ebaying them to build up my scenery collection.) Finished the next four agents but they'll have to wait till tomorrow for pics after I spray the finish coat on them. Now to decide what to paint next (will probably work on my old GW plastic scenery while I ponder that.)

Meanwhile a little more on MARS. As everyone knows names have power, so no real names are used in the organization, instead agents are classified by color (Agent Blackhand, Bluebell, Reddress and so on.) The only real exception is the Curator Professor Howard (who lives permanently on site since faking his death) as the only know expert in this field. The Agents are know as the Collector division, of which Black, Gray and White are the top most experienced and are accompanied by the other agents as need be. The Custodians are responsible for security and consist of ex soldiers with experience with the unknown and will occasionally be deployed to help in larger skirmishes. And finally the Catalogue division which does the research into the esoteric finds. The complex itself is protected by both physical and metaphysical means making it one of the most secure places on earth (as befitting the repository of the Necronomicon itself.) And not only does MARS have to deal with the various cults of the Great Old Ones (E.o.D., Black Brotherhood, the Whately Foundation, the Yellow Sign, the infamous Openers of the Gates and others) but also other diverse groups seeking this forbidden knowledge such as the witches of the Sisterhood of Sybille and th Reanimation Consortium. As you can see they have their work cut out for them.

And now that I have a good beginning of figures to start this (hopefully) epic storyline time to get some paint on some scenery and play some games. Sure I'll have some questions so be prepared. Some new agents tomorrow though. Thanks again for taking the time to read my babbling, it helps to motivate me. (And at 62 you need a little bit of that.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 04:26:28 AM by diehard »
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline ZenWired

• Librarian
    • A Rust Monster Ate My Sword
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 01:59:47 PM »
And at 62 you need a little bit of that.

What is it with getting older? Here I sit, surrounded by more minis, scenery, and games than I can - as they say - shake a stick at, and there's tons I want to do and yet I struggle to complete a single project! *sigh* (And I look at my collection of minis - some over four decades old(!) without a lick of paint on them - and wonder what I've been doing all these years.  lol )

Anyway, I wish you luck and can't wait to see everything hit the game table!
My RPG blog: A Rust Monster Ate My Sword
My miniatures gaming blog: A Hard Won Thing

"You fool, Warren is DEAD!"

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 12:08:08 AM »
Heh, I should have added 62 with a bad back and neck. And don't feel bad I have stuff sitting around here just as long that I still haven't done anything with. Seems like a neater project always shows up when your right in the middle of one. Anyway here are four more agents, giving me a nice assortment to start with.

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2021, 01:42:31 AM »
Things certainly don't go according to plan. Retired but I have painted less than ever before thanks to my bad neck causing reoccurring bouts of pain/numbness in my arms.  Congratulations on getting healthy enough to paint again. Hopefully you can find someone nearby to game with once you have this collection painted.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2021, 02:22:04 AM »
 HI Syrinx0, you have my total sympathy and I most certainly understand where you're coming from. The cataracts were a major problem but I also suffer from degenerative spinal disease and have major issues in my neck and lower back, sometimes can't even stand up straight for days at a time, one of the reasons I took early retirement and am applying for disability. Am happy now if I get to paint for a couple hours at night and maybe a little bit here and there during the day. Medication does help a bit but still usually feel it when I'm done. I hope that you find something that helps you, didn't realize how much I missed painting till I started up again.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2021, 06:54:28 AM »
In keeping with Lovecraftian "traditions" it seemed only fitting that the opening story arc for the MARS Protocol involving an ancient book of forbidden eldritch knowledge and the agents attempt to procure it before a number of other groups who seek to obtain it for their own nefarious ends. The opening episodes (games)will be centered around learning about the book and the groups who seek it. As I paint the miniatures to have at least a couple representatives for the different factions and finally at least do something basic with the scenery I have I'm hoping to be able to take that solo deck once around the block pretty soon.

The latest models I finished are a mummy looking thing that was listed as the Undead and two models for the Whateley (damn autocorrect keeps wanting to change that to Whatley) Foundation. Wait a minute I hear you thinking, aren't all the Whateleys dead? No, no they're not. There are not many who know the truth of the incidents that occurred in the town of Dunwich in the late 1920's. You see, Wilbur wasn't a twin. He was one of triplets. When Old Whateley saw the human looking baby he told his daughter Lavinia to get rid of it. However she couldn't kill her most normal looking child and eventually had to leave her child Wilbur to take care of her son Walton. After Wilbur's death Lavinia returned to the farm to gather Wilbur's notebooks and some of the books he highly valued and to procure the source of the Whateley fortune as at that point Walton began to manifest the gifts of Yog-Sothoth. At this point Walton creates the Whateley Foundation. And here are Walton, the Undead Guy and one of Walton's grandkids.

Offline ZenWired

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2021, 11:42:18 AM »
Nice! And Walton Whately? Hmmm... brings a new way of looking at "Walton's Mountain." Good night, John-Boy indeed! :D

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2021, 03:00:11 AM »
Thanks as always for your comments, they truly help to keep my enthusiasm for this project running at the high level it started out with. Latest finished models are another member of the Whateley Foundation, a model on the larger side as you can see. Nothing truly exceptional about it, it basically just carries out the color scheme of the first two to it's natural conclusion. The second, the Wizard was just a model I thought looked pretty damn cool. But as I proceeded to paint him I realized who he really was and where he fits into the larger picture. Will keep that as a surprise for later on.

I was thinking of doing the Murch cultists next as I really like their sculpts but discovered that their scale was way to smaller to the SA lines. Not super disappointing though as I honestly feel that the second edition SA cultists are without a doubt my favorite of all I've seen over the many years. I primed eight of them today and after getting those guys painted up and doing a little work on some of the scenery I have here and then it's time to start rolling some dice.  The models:

Offline ZenWired

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2021, 12:06:01 PM »
Those are some properly nasty beasties - nice!

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2021, 12:05:46 AM »
Okay, back to painting Uncle Mike's stuff. Finished up the first eight cultists and am currently working on the next six more heavily armed guys. Well, four and the two Tcho-Tchos. Yeah, I don't see them as midgets myself, in my game they are murderous Tcho-Tchos. The cultists immediately reminded me of monks so that's the color scheme that I went with. Am pleased with the final results. Dry brushed a couple of trees and I think I have the basic scenery I need for my first exploratory game. Will finish re-reading the rule book and guess I'm good to go. Thanks for all the feedback and I know if I do have any questions I know where to ask. A fhtagn day to all.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2021, 12:08:33 AM »
Eh, would have been nice if I had remember to attach the pics.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2021, 02:59:54 AM »
Moving right along with the cultists here are the 4 more heavily armed guys and the two evil Tcho-Tchos. Working on the last 5 cultists now.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2021, 04:22:07 AM »
And the last of the cultists finished. The identity of the alternate high priest shall be revealed later, we'll save that for an in story twist. The possessed guys were fun, and the high priestess was a blast. Have to pick up some primer this week but should have enough left to do a couple MARS agents next. And maybe knock together a test run game with the SOLO deck. Have a fhtagn day.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2021, 12:21:52 AM »
Three more Agents and Father Ignatowski. A couple more agents and the kids to do and then it's Lurkers all the way. And while I wait for the primer I ordered to come in time to finally devote some time to scenery. Still really psyched about this project. A shame that this game is slipping into obscurity. Still hoping for Uncle Mike to pop back up and maybe put the VUK stuff up in the shop. And is Fhatgn still a thing? I'm sure that when I joined the cult I had a different email address, not even sure who to send the new one to or if it's even worth the effort. The Agents:

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2021, 11:45:15 PM »
Listens to the crickets in here.............

Okay finished the last couple Agents, including the two captive ones, and decided to polish off the kids. Now it's Lurkers from here on. Good times.