Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:05:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689257
  • Total Topics: 118267
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kitchen table Kingdoms; Oathmark in 10mm.  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Chillyray

• Assistant
Kitchen table Kingdoms; Oathmark in 10mm.
« on: October 31, 2021, 07:02:03 PM »
If you think Oathmark looks good but lack the space for a 6x4 table and the storage space for 28mm armies and all that sceenery than this might be useful for you? I liked Frostgrave and Rangers of Shadow deep a lot and I am intrigued by the look of Oathmark, also by Joseph A McCullough. i know i`m late to the table and the table is the issue, mine is 4x3 max. i have managed to play Warmaster and Hordes of the things very happily on that size table. So why not Oathmark? After several days of head scratching this is my solution to the 5 figure wide problem! Warmaster uses 3 bases per unit,each base is 40mm wide by 20mm deep. So what I did was cut one base in half! now each rank is two and a half bases wide. So each rank is 2 long bases 40x20 and one short base 20x20mm.so the double bases represent 2 troops and the small 20x20mm base is 1 troop (figs) If you do not want to start cutting up any Warmaster bases you can make up a few of the single units with separate spare figs. For casuallities figures can be swapped around, so no tiny dice necessary! My absolute favorite miniatures at this scale are the unfinished 10mm range called Copplestone castings, also on sale from Northstar. I am also blown away by some of the new 3D printed ranges from Forest Dragon and Mace Face. Beautiful! With both Copplestone and Forest Dragon a lot of the archers and Dwarves etc are moddled in pairs one behind the other, so no cutting needed. I did cut some of the Copplestone strips with no big problem. I like the mass effect that comes with 10mm. Strangely the end result with the smaller miniatures gives a more epic feel, like the Kingdom`s vast army deployed across the landscape! I use double ranks, so one 28mm figure is represented by 6 10mm miniatures, 3 in the front and 3 in the back. The double bases(40mmx20mm) have 2 strips with 6 figs each, one behind the other. Weirdly this represents just one rank in the rules! The elegance of this solution is that each cavalry base is already 20mm wide and 40mm deep. The infantry and cavalry line up perfectly. The large creatures are 40x40 and Dragons 40x 60, So anyway the infantry and cavalry units are both 100mm wide. Measurements in the rules are centimeters instead of inches. For giants and dragons I use larger scale minis. They tower over the 10mm figures.This is a work still in progress. Any observations would be most welcome. When I work out how to reduce the file size on my photos I will post them.

Offline Chillyray

• Assistant
Re: Kitchen table Kingdoms; Oathmark in 10mm.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 07:11:28 PM »
2 more pics

Offline Thew1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 07:30:44 PM »
An intriguing concept Chillyray. I don't have much Fantasy stuff in 10mm but must confess the ForestDragon and Copplestone sculpts are becoming harder and harder to resist. Some lovely figures there, look forward to hearing and viewing more as this project progresses.
I did recently invest in some 60mm hexagonal bases from warbases with the intention to build my oathmark kingdom in the style of the old Warhammer Mighty Empires

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 07:43:37 PM »
Great stuff, I’m a big fan of 10mm, and have played different ‘28mm’ games using 10mm figures, KoW and HC in particular.

The Copplestone LoTR figures are great, and yes there are definitely some great new 3D printed ranges out there now. Big monsters are certainly a good thing with 10mm, the original Warmaster monsters were pretty big.

I have to admit I’m struggling to quite understand what you are doing with basing.

Oathmark’s standard basing is 25mm squares, with 5 figures in a rank, and upto 4 ranks in a unit. Which is 5” long by 1” deep per rank. Converting to cm would give 5cm wide and 1cm deep for a rank. Which would make a 40x20mm Warmaster base pretty much 2 ranks of Oathmark troops. You could extend the width to 5cm if you wanted.

You seem to have gone with 10cm wide units (2 x 40mm bases and 1 x 20mm base) - which I’m not sure how this fits with the ground scale conversion of inches to cm?

I could quite see using a 20mm base width rather than 25mm, but not sure that would fit with the reduced measurements.

Offline Chillyray

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 08:32:27 PM »
Hi Fred, thanks for your input. Do you think the 100mm wide units would work more successfully with the original movement rates? I am still trying to figure it out, especially being able to remove unit casualties. Still waiting for my copy of the rules to arrive. I am looking forward to the Kingdom building aspect of the game.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 09:02:11 PM »
Yes, I think 100mm width would work better with the standard movement rates - this is pretty much what we did with KoW - as the standard KoW regiment is 10cm frontage and 8cm depth, but two Warmaster units are 8cm by 6cm.

But I think your key point is to play on a smaller table - so I think inches to cm is a key conversion factor for you.

Personally I’d not worry too much about individual figure removal - you can easily track this with a dice. I do recall that ranks are quite important to Oathmark though. So tracking ranks may be more important. Worth a Google about Oathmark basing. 

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 10:20:19 PM »
This is great. I spent a bit of time carefully hacking up my Warmaster strips and resculpting any damage so that all my 10mm (including copplestone) are individually based and have tiny movement trays. We generally play WHFB3 but the basing leaves it really open (I’m going to do a Miniheim board and forces using spares so I can enjoy Mordheim without the space/time/cost outlay).

Hope you don’t mind but hopefully attached should be some of my chaps including a kitbashed/sculpted giant (guess the parts) and a Goblin boss on a vulture (the vulture is from the GW Ogre Stonehorn kit, the goblin and horse it’s standing on are sculpted).

Love to see some pictures of your games. Thank you for posting,

BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Chillyray

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 10:28:25 PM »
Lovely paint job and sculpting! Not sure how happy that vulture is to have the gobbo on his back?

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 10:41:52 PM »
To be honest the vulture was really quick to do, and literally only because I’d built the kit for a commission client and they’d let me keep the spare bits: it was too nice not to repurpose. I’ve also got some of the Stormcast hawks to do for my elves.

I love that copplestone giant, I’ve never seen one in real life or painted but now I’m tempted. 10mm is great because I can finally have a goblin wolf rider based army and use it on a table without it causing a traffic jam.

BALM
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 10:44:19 PM by BeneathALeadMountain »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 04:57:54 PM »
I think fred's right; if you convert 1" to 1cm, then that makes all your individual troops bases 10mm x 10mm, or 50mm x 40mm for a full sized unit. Your 4' x 3' table is then equivalent to a whopping 10' x 7.5' in cm terms!

I think you only really "need" five loose figures per unit; full ranks are one 50mm x 10mm strip each, and when you deplete a rank below full strength you use the four loose trooper figures. The fifth figure is a separate leader model, for when the unit is down to the last rank.

If you prefer, you can track partial ranks with a small dice, and just have whole rank removal when they are fully gone.

Offline Macunaima

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 12:58:12 AM »
You don’t even need five loose figures: 2 x two figures stands and one lose figure will do you.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 01:16:18 PM »
Mine are based on 10mm x 10mm mdf bases with some of the joined models from warmaster on two man 10x20mm bases if they are fillers for a large unit (goblins and skaven). It works very well.

BALM

Offline Chillyray

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2021, 09:03:38 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys. I will be trying out some of these ideas.