Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:20:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686638
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: DalyDR's Fantasy Stuff  (Read 1265 times)

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
DalyDR's Fantasy Stuff
« on: November 02, 2021, 08:09:16 PM »
Just finished this Ankheg miniature from Reaper for one of my sons who has gotten into the fantasy side of the miniature thing.  I've been skeptical of these resin ("Bones"?) miniatures from Reaper, seen too many floppy swords and curved spear shafts on them, but this particular piece is quite good, I think.  Nice detail on it overall, and I think the price for bigger-than-human monsters for these figures is fairly good.  The paint job is a bit rushed as I did it in a few sessions between trying to finish my stupid-big Sassanid army for a game no one plays anymore, but it proved to be a nice diversion.  I glued it to a big metal washer as I didn't much like the irregularly shaped integral base, and the washer gives it more stability as well as the option to stick it to a magnetic sheet lined box for transport.  Anyway, here's the bug!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 07:23:11 PM by DalyDR »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ankheg by Reaper
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 10:47:23 PM »
I think that one might be made by WizKids - I have one by Reaper and it looks more like a centipede than this one does. I actually like this sculpt better.

In any case, nice job, it looks useful for a range of games!

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
Re: Ankheg by Reaper
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 11:21:36 PM »
I think that one might be made by WizKids

Dang!  You're correct!  Shows what I know about non-metal figures . . .

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
DalyDR's Fantasy Stuff (9/4/2022: Ogre)
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 12:41:50 PM »
Resurrecting this thread because I finally painted another miniature for my son's very own burgeoning collection of (unpainted) fantasy miniatures, this time an "Ogre Chieftain" from Reaper.  I suspect this guy may be loosely inspired by one of Angus MacBride's Lord of the Rings works featuring a troll about to smash some guy to pulp (from the cover of a supplement to the old ICE Middle Earth RP game), so I think of him as a well armored and probably unusually intelligent/evolved troll.  As an aside, there's another miniature in Reaper's catalog, a Bob Olley sculpt I think, that's obviously derived from that MacBride image, but this one shows hints too, especially in some of the armor.  At any rate, here's the guy:

This also displays my first attempt at "chipping" armor.  Did the whole piece-of-sponge-as-applicator thing, and think it worked out well enough that I'll try it again on some other miniatures. 

Still not sure about these "Bones" miniatures made out of this polymer, the haft of the mace on this one isn't truly straight and cleaning mold lines (I missed a few here . . .) isn't the easiest, but I do like this model, and the price comparison between this material and metal versions is tough to beat.

Edit:  Tried to change thread title, seems I was unsuccessful, ugh.  Any pointers on this?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 12:50:26 PM by DalyDR »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ankheg by WizKids (NOT Reaper)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 02:40:27 PM »
To change the title on threads I started, I go to the first post in the thread and click the ‘modify’ button. I can then modify the text of the thread’s main title. Save the change (button at bottom of the first post), then you can add a new post to the thread and it will have the new title.

Regarding the ogre model, he looks great! I like how your chipping effect turned out. It is one of the techniques I want to try at some point.