Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:34:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My first impressions of The Silver Bayonet  (Read 14722 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: My first impressions of The Silver Bayonet
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2021, 01:53:48 PM »
I like some diversity in height and weight of miniatures to reflect human diversity. It helps break up the “clone effect”. I am not so hardcore as to use taller minis for grenadiers and shorter for Voltigeurs but that is certainly an option.

As for Nock Volley guns and blunderbuss rules, the following is I believe from the first edition of Sharp Practice from Toofatlardies….

Basically a Nock Volley gun rolls 1D6 per loaded barrel (potentially up to 7) hitting on a 5,6 up to 9" and on a 6 between 9" and 18". It takes 1 action to reload a barrel and the gun may be fired with a partial load.

A blunderbuss spreads its shot over a wide area so the firer needs to select an aiming point 9" away, then rolls 2D6. On a score of 2-5 the aiming point moves 2" left, on a 6-8 it remains were placed, on a 9-12 it shifts 2" right. Damage zone is 9" long and 4" wide at far end, 2" either side of the aiming point. Any figure in that zone takes 1 hit rolling for effect with a -1 on the dice.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2021, 10:47:53 PM »
I appreciate this first look, as my copy is still on the way. 

It sounds like a good, solid release from Joe.  I am glad he is experimenting with his resolution mechanics and action economy.  As a designer myself, building on the "type" has a lot of benefits as a working designer.  I get why he is doing it and would/am doing the same thing. 

One thing Stargrave missed out, that Frostgrave did so well; was adding little blurbs that added a lot of flavor and a perception of depth.  It sounds like The Silver Bayonet may be in a similar place.  Missed some of the flavor and perception of depth in the core book.  Typically, Joe has resolved this issue with more releases such as Thaw of the Liche Lord, Quarantine 37(?), and Cities of Bronze.***   

One thing I will say, if you want to see where the game goes it will need $$$ support.  If there is an author you like and want to see more games from them, you need to buy their rulebooks or Osprey will stop picking up their books.  Simple economics really. 

***- On a side note, Ghost Archipelago did the best job of the rules reflecting the reality of the game of all of Joe's releases in the initial book.  Top notch bit of work by adding the flavor in the mechanics with swimming, boats, random monsters, Heritors, etc.  IMHO.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2021, 09:07:23 AM »

One thing I will say, if you want to see where the game goes it will need $$$ support.  If there is an author you like and want to see more games from them, you need to buy their rulebooks or Osprey will stop picking up their books.  Simple economics really. 

I could not agree more.

My thoughts on releasing my initial impressions was not to discourage people from buying, but rather for people to be informed before they get it and are disappointed. We need folks to support this release if we are going to see more and it does deserve the support. There is clearly more interest in the niche than I expected.

Edit: As you can see, I am a big fan of Joe McCullough games. I am hoping Santa helps with some Stargrave presents under the tree this year.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 12:14:53 PM by Grumpy Gnome »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2021, 11:25:42 AM »
I appreciate this first look, as my copy is still on the way. 

It sounds like a good, solid release from Joe.  I am glad he is experimenting with his resolution mechanics and action economy.  As a designer myself, building on the "type" has a lot of benefits as a working designer.  I get why he is doing it and would/am doing the same thing. 

One thing Stargrave missed out, that Frostgrave did so well; was adding little blurbs that added a lot of flavor and a perception of depth.  It sounds like The Silver Bayonet may be in a similar place.  Missed some of the flavor and perception of depth in the core book.  Typically, Joe has resolved this issue with more releases such as Thaw of the Liche Lord, Quarantine 37(?), and Cities of Bronze.***   

***- On a side note, Ghost Archipelago did the best job of the rules reflecting the reality of the game of all of Joe's releases in the initial book.  Top notch bit of work by adding the flavor in the mechanics with swimming, boats, random monsters, Heritors, etc.  IMHO.

absolutely, in all respects.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2021, 12:03:48 PM »

I completely agree with you.  It all just really seemed to come together there.  Thanks for the kind words.  (Those little 'flavour' boxes in Frostgrave are killer to come with)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2021, 12:19:29 PM »
Ulterior Motives… that is something Mrs. GG and I are big fans of that could add more flavor to the Silver Bayonet. We are in the process of printing out and lamenting the Ghost Archipelago Ulterior Motive cards from the Spellcaster magazines. Great stuff!

Joe, do you think you will be putting Silver Bayonet material in future Spellcasters?

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2021, 12:12:07 PM »
I have still not played Silver Bayonet (still slowing assembling forces) but I agree with Grumpy Gnome that Ulterior Motives adds a lot to our Frostgrave games and it sounds like a similar mechanism would work for Silver Bayonet too.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2021, 01:29:22 AM »
We are in the process of printing out and lamenting the Ghost Archipelago Ulterior Motive cards from the Spellcaster magazines. Great stuff!

Lamenting? Could you mean Laminating perchance?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2021, 09:03:07 AM »

Doh! That is what I get for writing in haste. I shall now lament my spelling error.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2021, 11:08:05 AM »

I was going to say that if they didn't, they would be sorry. ;)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2021, 09:27:12 PM »
I finally managed to finish reading the book today. Here is my impression:

It is perfectly what I expected to get and even more, because it's less. I will explain - I find the entire thing is a piece of art, perfectly self-containing with exact the amount of information and design provided that appeals to awake my interest and make me think and start playing in mind. I appreciate the lack of historic information about the era and the usual photos of painted samples. This is just a fair rulebook, hardcover, properly bound, nicely designed and well written.
I can't congratulate Joe too much for having it done this way. My kind of book. Many thanks Joe!  :D

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2021, 10:02:09 PM »
Got my book at last on Sunday, the FLGS finally got it in.

Haven't finished reading yet.  My only critique so far is on Osprey — there's a lot of white space on each page; my eyes would be happier with a little less space between each line and a little bigger font!

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2021, 06:49:58 AM »
I finally managed to finish reading the book today. Here is my impression:

It is perfectly what I expected to get and even more, because it's less. I will explain - I find the entire thing is a piece of art, perfectly self-containing with exact the amount of information and design provided that appeals to awake my interest and make me think and start playing in mind. I appreciate the lack of historic information about the era and the usual photos of painted samples. This is just a fair rulebook, hardcover, properly bound, nicely designed and well written.
I can't congratulate Joe too much for having it done this way. My kind of book. Many thanks Joe!  :D

These are my sentiments exactly.
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2021, 11:32:56 AM »
These are my sentiments exactly.

and mine ...

apart from the photos of painted figures / dioramas etc.

I still find Osprey's apparent embarrassment regarding showing miniatures etc to advantage really odd and self-defeating - I mean, who else but miniature gamers (or gamers interested in using miniatures) do they think are going to be interested in these products?

when their rulebooks do have more photographic illustration, the size of images are relatively small (no double-page spreads for example - while e.g. the Oathmark books have lots of relatively uninispired digital 'fine' art pieces presented in just that way) and the diorama work in said photos is decidely uninspired (GA - I'm looking at you).

they should really take a look at the original Mordheim rulebook (or maybe it was the 'annual' - can't remember now). Where the rules were set within very atmospheric line-art illos, but there was a superb colour 'miniatures' section as well.

Offline TheKing30

• Student
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2021, 03:20:42 PM »
Got my book at last on Sunday, the FLGS finally got it in.

Haven't finished reading yet.  My only critique so far is on Osprey — there's a lot of white space on each page; my eyes would be happier with a little less space between each line and a little bigger font!

I couldn't agree more.  My son got me the book for Xmas (along with the French and Spanish box sets.  I have a great son) but I also have the book on my Amazon Fire Tablet so I can make it as large and as bright as my eyes need!

Happy New Year all!