Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:39:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Europe Asunder cavalry  (Read 2978 times)

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
Europe Asunder cavalry
« on: December 17, 2021, 01:35:29 PM »
From the Turner Miniatures Napoleonic range of STL files for 3D printing. Here are 6mm French dragoons printed on a resin 3D printer with 25 micron thick layers:

Robert

Online Roo

• Mad Scientist
Re: Europe Asunder cavalry
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 01:55:40 PM »
Wow and wow again(paint jobs on these diminutive folk)

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 08:21:48 AM »
Thanks very much, Roo.

Here are the British heavy dragoons:

Robert

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 08:38:53 PM »
And the British light dragoons:

Robert

Online Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 09:56:31 PM »
Bit good all of them

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 11:31:36 PM »
I love them
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 02:54:54 AM »
Beautifully painted but the sculpts look a bit odd. Are the horses meant to be of the rocking or Shetland Pony variety?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 06:57:47 AM »
Thank you for the comments.

The proportions of these models are the same as at least two other major manufacturers of 6mm figures. Mostly you do not see such figures in close up like this. If you create a 3D model to accurate specifications and shrink it to 1/285th scale for example then the proportions appear really odd. One of the reasons for this is the reflection of light from the figure. 6mm figures have to be painted with brighter than usual colours. Otherwise, colours that would normally be used on 28mm figures appear too dull. This is because the smaller size reflects much less light. The same principle means that proportions have to be more pronounced on the figure in close up in order to be visible en masse and at distance. I am painting up a regiment of Russian hussars so you will be able to judge for yourself.

The effects of scale distortion for aesthetic reasons have another benefit fortunately. Things like swords, muskets and regimental standard poles, even arms and legs, would not be strong enough if cast in metal or printed in resin.

Do bear in mind that, as a result of the mass effect of 6mm figures, it is not necessary to paint them to the level of detail that I have. It is something that I enjoy doing FWIIW.

Robert

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 10:13:08 AM »
The seated dragoons still appear to be taller than the horses heads. The British heavies don’t look so bad but the Light Dragoons and French dragoons look they nicked their mounts from a merry-go-round. You’ve done a marvellous job on the brushwork but even en masse I’d still see a regiment of rocking horses. Horses for courses of course and YMMV.

Online jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 10:59:07 AM »
This is the same complaint I’ve seen about the Baccus range as well.  Adler have larger horses and in more dynamic poses so it can be done.  However on the battlefield there isn’t a jarring difference.  At this scale it is really about the entire base as an entity rather than the individual figures.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 11:23:11 AM »
Thing is, sadly despite a high falutin' justification to the contrary...
a daft looking figure, just looks... daft!

:?
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 11:39:00 AM »
The seated dragoons still appear to be taller than the horses heads.
Yes, that's right Carlos. The French dragoons and the British light dragoons have been printed with the 'small' horses. These are consistent with the proportions of Baccus 6mm cavalry. The British heavy dragoons are printed with the 'large' horses, which is why they look different. Both sizes are included in the range, so you can choose which style best suits your perspective. Several people want the 'small' horses because they want to mix with the Baccus ranges.

Robert

Online jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 11:59:55 AM »

:?

Almost no 28 mm figure is in proportion.  They nearly all have larger heads for instance in order to accentuate the face.  A close up photo of a 6 mm figure is obviously not going to look like it does on the wargame table.  There is no faultin' - high or not about stating the obvious.  These are not made to be looked at in extreme close up but at 3 ft like every other figure produced.  Heroic and Ross are about as correctly proportioned in 6 mm as you will get and they look like total dog shit close up.  With thousands of their brethren on a table they look great.  It begs the question which 6 mm figures do you think are better than these?

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 12:01:57 PM »
It can be hard to interpret what is meant in an electronic message. "High falutin' justification to the contrary..." could be read as a personal criticism by some, as if trying to hoodwink others. I don't take these things personally though and can understand the broader point that you are making. From your perspective, the figures don't look right. This is perfectly fine.

FWIIW, I have spent a lot of time creating and printing weapons, AFVs, figures and a range of other items in 3D. I also have experience casting as well, before 3D printing came along. Plus lots of experience painting and gaming 6mm figures made by others. My comments are based on this experience. I have painstakingly recreated accurate representations of, for example, Mausers, Moisin-Nagants, MG08/15s, etc, etc for use with 28mm and with 6mm figures, only to realise that none looked 'right' in 28mm and all looked really odd in 6mm.

Here is an example of what 6mm is all about, from my perspective. It is the Battle of Krasnik, fought on the Eastern Front in WW1:

The individual figures are just a means to a greater end.

Robert

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2021, 12:31:00 PM »
It begs the question which 6 mm figures do you think are better than these?

Play the ball not the man mate, I've no dog in this fight. I've no interest in 6mm figures so couldn't say. However looking at the piccys above my first impression was, they were either intentionally cartoony or fantasy dwarf Dragoons. If you like 'em all well and good, we're all just playing with toys anyway!

;)