Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:17:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Raedwald’s Sci Fi Thread (p.9 - Pilots)  (Read 19378 times)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Raedwald’s Sci Fi Thread (update p.2: Scatch-built shanties)
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2022, 08:15:15 AM »
I like the shanties.
I would be torn between adding graffiti (with a white gel pen)
& leaving them as is for  more generic usage (modern earth etc.)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2022, 11:40:05 AM »
Great shanties… and I really love your To‘ok, especially the last couple you did. Lots of character. Great idea to do patterned fabric.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Raedwald

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2022, 05:52:44 PM »
@War Monkey - Thanks!

@has.been - Thanks, yes I did think about graffiti, but ended up sticking with something closer to images of real shanties I looked at, since I might use these pieces in ash waste settings as well as underhive.
It often looks great, but other times I worry that graffiti can dominate a piece of terrain if its not subtle enough. Will try some out on some MDF buildings soon and see how I get on, cheers.

@Grumpy Gnome - Thank you! The patterned fabric looked great on some Perry samurai I saw, so I was keen to try it.

Offline Raedwald

• Scientist
Re: Raedwald’s Sci Fi Thread (p.3 - apprehended Abdul Goldburg)
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2022, 06:29:17 AM »
Hi all,

The Antediluvian Miniatures ‘Captive fugitive’ was a must-have figure for me from when I first saw it; perfect for so many scenarios. The sculpting, especially of the face, is so fine too - I’ve not really done it justice, but this is a lovely miniature.

I do apologise for the sacrilege of using a non-Oldhammer miniature to represent Goldburg (as per the post title), but I wanted to experiment with a different skin tone and then it seemed too good not to have him as the legendary character from the Rogue Trader scenario generators.

My main learning point with this one was: If a guy’s armour includes shin pads, white is not the best colour choice… it’s not too bad after weathering, but he still looks a bit like he’s had a rough over batting for the first eleven!

Cheers,
Raedwald
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 08:08:58 PM by Raedwald »

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2022, 08:34:12 AM »

My main learning point with this one was: If a guy’s armour includes shin pads, white is not the best colour choice… it’s not too bad after weathering, but he still looks a bit like he’s had a rough over batting for the first eleven!

Cheers,
Raedwald

Genuinely laughed aloud at this. Great looking figure.

I remember the WH40K scenario generators... I wonder what happened to my copy of that book!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2022, 11:09:41 AM »
but he still looks a bit like he’s had a rough over batting for the first eleven!

Well I was bowled over by him.  :D

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2022, 04:57:18 PM »
Genuinely laughed aloud at this. Great looking figure.

I remember the WH40K scenario generators... I wonder what happened to my copy of that book!

Me three  lol

Excellent, and great Goldberg goodness, consider the idea stolen homarged  :D ;)
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Raedwald

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2022, 08:15:49 PM »
@Redshank - Thanks! You’ve gotta find that book man, not only is it a sacred text, but judging by the way the eBay prices have gone, you might soon be able to exchange it for a decent property!

@has.been - See what you did there  ;) lol

@Storm Wolf - ‘Homage’ away. Many thanks!

Offline Raedwald

• Scientist
Re: Raedwald’s Sci Fi Thread (p.3 - Tycho To’ok)
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2022, 08:05:57 PM »
Hi all,

While I’ve been painting Zombiesmith To’ok this year, I couldn’t resist doing something special that I’ve had in mind for a while with the captain figure. This miniature stood out from the other ‘Knights’ due to its haughty look and sculpted shoulder pad, so was a clear choice as commanding officer.

Since childhood I was captivated by the original Captain Tycho, sculped by the inimitable Jes Goodwin and painted by a young Tim Prow for one of GW’s earliest studio armies: their Blood Angels. With my To’ok captain I fulfilled an ambition to use the original 1991 painting recipe from Prow, taken from White Dwarf 139, and recreate it using the original paints from that era.

I’ve still got the boxed paint sets GW released 30+ years ago, and with only 2 or 3 exceptions (where I let the seals gum up), none of them have dried up! Anyone young reading this, you read it right, GW paint, 30+ years old, still going strong… unlike the more modern stuff you were often lucky to get 12 months out of it.

I also had my first proper go at a back banner since the hideous paper ones I botched up as a kid. After an abortive trial with PVA soaked rice paper, I turned to some engraving foil I’d bought yonks ago, in order to get some folds and movement into it. I’m not too happy with the painting, but it’ll do. The design is based on an excellent Jes Goodwin Ultramarine banner, that was also taken up by Gerry Grace for the Space Marine (Epic) box art.

Anyway, this was a satisfying long term wish fulfilled. Thanks for looking.
Raedwald

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2022, 05:38:03 AM »
Looking good! 👍

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2022, 08:31:55 AM »
Brill  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2022, 12:02:00 PM »
Great stuff! 
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2022, 04:42:52 PM »
Excellent! I like the To’ok figures and your paint job on the leader looks great with the rest of the unit.

Offline Raedwald

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2022, 08:36:41 PM »
Many thanks guys.

@Pattus Magnus - Thanks, the storm blue spot colour did thankfully go nicely with gold.

Offline Raedwald

• Scientist
Re: Raedwald’s Sci Fi Thread (p.3 - Junk & Trash)
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2023, 05:05:25 PM »
Hi All,

A bit of scatter terrain this time. I’d hoped to finish these last year but didn’t quite manage it.

Below are the ubiquitous Junk Piles by Crooked Dice. These superb pieces are versatile for so many potential set ups and scenarios. It was only after I’d bought them and become familiar with their features that I began to notice them everywhere; on blog posts and in rulebooks etc. spanning many years. A rightly popular choice and highly recommended.

I also got some trash piles from Antenocitis Workshop painted up, as well as a telecomms junction box from Crooked Dice.

Hope to crack on with my Five Parsecs crew next.

Cheers,
Raedwald