Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:59:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689717
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Please recommend 6mm Sci Fi rulesets  (Read 3802 times)

Offline aktr

• Librarian
Please recommend 6mm Sci Fi rulesets
« on: December 29, 2021, 08:02:27 AM »
Hi,

I've been wanting to play some 6mm sci fi for ages and even have an eclectic mix of models from Vanguard minitures for it. Now I just need to work out what rules to use (and persuade my friend to play).

I already own Epic Armagedon and have ordered Epic 40,000 off ebay  but if there anything else you would recommend I look at?

I want something with the massed battle sci fi feel so hordes of poor bloody infantry with plenty of tanks in support. Plus a generous helping of super tanks, big stompy robots and other daft things. Aircraft would be nice but not essential.

Needs to be ethier a physical book or a PDF I can't print off

Cheers

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Please recommend 6mm Sci Fi rulesets
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 10:11:41 AM »
Dirtside II from GZG.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5687/dirtside-ii

PDF is a free download from the GZG rules section. Although the rules are generic and will work with any 6mm figure range, GZG do have a small figure range to go with them.

https://shop.groundzerogames.co.uk/rules.html

Online Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 05:14:14 PM »
My two faves are Ogre and BattleTech Alpha Strike.

I prefer playing Ogre with minis on a hex map, but there is a pure miniatures version of the rules too.

Alpha Strike is very flexible and you can layer in as much infantry and vehicle detail as you like.

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 06:04:44 PM »
There's Age of Tyrants from Scotia Grendel - Void universe but no biggie to work round that

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 10:45:54 AM »
Epic 40k and Void Age of Tyrants have been mentioned already, so a few more to consider:

Future War Commander
May be out of print, though Pendraken are currently revising and re-releasing the 'X-Commander' series. It's core mechanics are similar to Warmaster, and I've seen second-hand copies around for a fair price.

Warpath
From Mantic Games; the rules are large-scale, for multibased 28mm infantry... Terrible choice for the mini size, but perfect for 6-15mm, and the full rules are currently free on their website - army lists and background books too.

Warhammer 40k Apocalypse
Like Warpath above, perfect set of streamlined abstracted rules suitable for 6-15mm models. Terrible choice in 28mm IMO, but credit where it's due for a reasonable game. PDFs are, uh, "available" if you want to see/try the game before you buy the rules, army lists, etc.

Tomorrow's War
Again, out print currently, buy you may be able to find a PDF somewhere. Designed for 15-28mm figures, it's actually scale agnostic and works perfectly well with multibased 6mm infantry. If you have an smaller elite side and a less well trained horde side, it works best (IMO), but it does need a bit of creativity from the players as army lists and scenarios are a bit limited out of the book. Of course, it's really just a sci-fi version of Force On Force, so you could adapt scenarios and force list suggestions almost without conversion from those.

Gruntz
Says it's a 15mm game, but all troops are multibased and it works perfectly at 6mm too. No frills rules-wise, but I enjoyed it all the same.

Sangennaru on these forums is also working on some 6mm rules currently too. Perhaps shoot him a PM to ask about them? :-)

Offline Leftblank

• Librarian
    • Amsterdam6shooters wargame club
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 11:14:59 PM »
6mm SF? I like big blocks with 6mm Napoleonics, but mechs and space marines look tiny in 6mm. I prefer 10mm for SF and I think Dropzone Commander, very much a combined arms game, would be a good deal. I play DZC AND Future War Commander (available via Wargame Vault) with the DZC miniatures. DZC is upgraded and hard-SF WH40K Epic.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 12:58:38 AM »
6mm SF? [...]mechs and space marines look tiny in 6mm.
I started when I was young with 6mm scifi in the form of... Space Marines and mechs!  lol They work just fine in 6mm, and are absolutely not too small at all. They do benefit from neat simple paintjobs with good contrast, but they are sufficiently easy to paint that you can afford to spend a few extra minutes for each multibase to ensure that neatness. ;)

DZC is upgraded and hard-SF WH40K Epic.
Hmm, having played a lot of Epic Space Marine 2e, Titan Legions, Epic 40k, and a little Epic Armageddon, as well as having some DZC, I respectfully disagree with your statement about it being "upgraded". However, DZC is a great game, and the plastic kits/starter sets they do now are tremendous value, so it's worth recommending in it's own right. The vehicles are also not a bad match for "heroic" 6mm scale scifi. :)

Offline Evil Dave

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 02:13:43 AM »
I'll mention LaserStorm, Laser Burn, Iron Cow, Quadrant 13, Polyversal, and Quantum Legions because no one else has.

In terms of best-in-class though, you have it with Epic Armageddon in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 02:16:22 AM by Evil Dave »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 10:59:32 AM »
Full spectrum dominance by our own Sangennaru is shaping up to be a real nice ruleset for 6mm sci-fi

also 6mm sci-fi! yes more 6mm sci-fi!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 12:23:07 PM by YPU »
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 04:44:27 PM »
Dirtside II from GZG.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5687/dirtside-ii

PDF is a free download from the GZG rules section. Although the rules are generic and will work with any 6mm figure range, GZG do have a small figure range to go with them.

https://shop.groundzerogames.co.uk/rules.html

THIS! 

Alternatively, you could also try Future War Commander (IIRC), which is based on the old Warmaster system and is also the base for Cold War Commander and Blitzkrieg Commander. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 09:54:33 PM »
THIS! 

Alternatively, you could also try Future War Commander (IIRC), which is based on the old Warmaster system and is also the base for Cold War Commander and Blitzkrieg Commander.

other way round right, warmaster was the basis for blitzkrieg commander which was the basis for cold war which was the basis for FWC.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but there is also strike legion which has one of the most extensive unit design rules out there. If you want to have power armored troopers with guns that can specifically plug into IVF power ports for extra strength, or feel the need to have multiple types of gas round available etc. The game with all expansions allows for that, bio-constructs and super alien tech as well, even backwards systems down to chariots and VSF landships.

Online Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 12:33:08 AM »
This thread got me mulling over expansions to my 6mm Sci-Fi library.

I'm quite happy with Ogre and BattleTech Alpha Strike.  But went poking about to find good streamlined options for the old Epic collection.

I have Blitzkrieg Commander and Future War Commander.  Love BKC for WW2 action; haven't tried FWC, but am leaning towards even more streamlined than that for pushing brightly coloured power armour troops around.

Looked at Net Epic Armageddon, but that seems much too granular and rules heavy for my tastes.

Epic 40,000, 3rd edition is the most streamlined version GW did.  I never bought that back in the day because I was already incredibly wealthy in the plastic minis that filled the big box.  Just scored a set of the rule books for a good price on EBay.  I suspect this may not be the game I play, but it will be a very nice reference source in the tool kit.

Most likely contender for Epic play right now is Squad Hammer.  Bought the Bundle of Space Hammers PDFs from Wargames Vault last night and printed them out today.

I'll be at the FLGS on Saturday, and will check then to see if they happen to have Horizon Wars in stock too.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 04:35:26 AM by Cat »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 10:12:55 AM »
Net epic armageddon isn't that complex on the whole, the rulebook is rather extensive though with errata and samples from decades of fan "refinement" the same goes for armies, they aren't very complex but boy have people made lists with custom rules for EVERYTHING over the years. and playtested it at tournaments and had long debates about correcting point costs etc. nerds I tell you.  :D

I really should take another look at future war commander but the PDF as written in wide format is just horrible to read on PC for me. Maybe I should print it I guess. or just wait for a new edition apparently?

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 11:17:34 AM »
Full spectrum dominance by our own Sangennaru is shaping up to be a real nice ruleset for 6mm sci-fi

also 6mm sci-fi! yes more 6mm sci-fi!

This one! https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=134624

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2022, 11:25:58 AM »
For Epic you can get a version of "Space Marine" which is a great system here

https://netepic.org/

Another option is Hellfire