Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:49:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi - Zealots (28 Feb)  (Read 29636 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - Warbots (11 Jan)
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2022, 07:55:40 PM »
I'm finding more and more that I spend less time painting enemy figures. Quick and dirty gets it done. I've even half considered standees or meeples for enemies, but I can't quite get myself there.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2022, 08:06:17 PM »
Those robots look great. I agree with Zrunelord, you need to help make some details "Pop" out. I wouldn't do dips either, it tends to hide some details. There are some great washes you can get or make Zruneloard has a great recipe for a wash, or you can check out some YouTube videos as well. You can then seal it all with some clear matte finishes with a coat or two.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2022, 10:44:51 AM »
Hah, I may have misinterpreted the minis - it didn't occur to me that those rectangles on the face were anything other than a protruding brow! I thought the visor as designed came between brown and mouthpiece, which I clumsily slid a narrow dip of light blue across:

I admit the troopers and bots didn't grab me quite as much as the crew - I find miniatures with faces much more fun to paint. I reckoned I could probably do with some faceless opponents, but it did mean I shied away from spending as much time on them. You're right - the bots in particular could do with something to draw the eye. If nothing else, some actual highlighting in addition to the drybrush would have helped on the more prominent features. I'll keep them in the WIP draw.

Zrunelord, would you be able to share the aforementioned wash recipe? I've been playing around with inks, matte medium and flow aid to try and get some contrast-like paints without plundering our savings for GW's prices, largely based off YouTube Goobertown's suggested split, but have only managed to get it 'right' on one attempt - the slightly purple blue used on the troopers.

I'm finding more and more that I spend less time painting enemy figures. Quick and dirty gets it done. I've even half considered standees or meeples for enemies, but I can't quite get myself there.

Yeah, I'm very happy to go down that route with RPGs and travel-friendly gaming. Sometimes the abstract is perfect sufficient for the imagination:

It's one reason why I'm feeling so enthused about 15mm - it's necessarily more abstract than 28mm where I often find myself bogged down in trying to do justice to the increasingly intricate detail. That, and it's significantly less daunting to make scenery for!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 10:47:10 AM by Idle Doodler »

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2022, 02:22:13 PM »
Here it is my friend  from my Home away teams' posts

Red -  GW contrast Flesh tearer red.
Blue - GW contrast Talassar & Aethermatic blues
Flesh -  GW contrast Gulliman Flesh

Greens & Browns my mixes  - Liquitex Ink, Matte Medium, some drops flow improver & limestone sealer ( I use this mix to create basic shades which I use a lot )

and to continue

The colour shade I use most is brown ( think W&N Peat brown or GW Nuln Oil), so I bought liquitex transparent burnt sienna, burnt umber, raw umber, raw sienna, sepia & red oxide. https://www.liquitex.com/row/products/professional/colors/acrylic-ink/?tab=versatility
These form the basis of my palette.

The 2nd most shade I use is green ( think W&N Brilliant Green see here https://www.winsornewton.com/na/graphic-art/inks/drawing-inks/#product-info-inks  or  GW Camoshade https://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/Shade-Paint-Collection-2019)  so I got me Liquitex Permanent Sap green .
This forms the basis of my greenish mixes , you'll get superb shades by mixing with the above & the below.

Then I got the basic shades, liquitex Napthol crimson , vivid red orange , yellow orange azo & a prussian blue ( cerulean is very nice also ).

Keep in mind the undercoat colour, base colour & the transparency of the shade, filter or wash.

I also use concentrated tile grout colour . Cheap & intense colours.

I very often overlook detail until I start painting, use the details of a mini & decide on the fly.
Hope this helps

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2022, 05:51:56 PM »
A trick some folks use is after applying your primer coat. They do an ink wash or a black wash, this will highlight many details making it easier to see them for painting. Also, by seeing these details it may change your mind on the painting scheme you may have been thinking of for a better look. It may add an extra step, but it may give you a better look on your minis.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2022, 07:32:12 PM »
Idle, you should poke around in some of the other 15mm threads around here. There is a lot of great inspiration and wonderful stuff out there. I've noticed that a lot of the "regular" 15mm crowd has already commented here. Follow their names back to their threads. ZRunelord, War Monkey, Cacique Caribe, Brummie, Old Ben, Ockman, Billchuck, and Skullhamma all have some amazing 15mm work.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2022, 04:50:48 AM »
Run "Zrunelord"!! We've been ratted out!! lol Yeah, CookandrewB has a lot of great stuff too! So yes, I agree look around and find your inspiration.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 04:58:02 AM by War Monkey »

Offline julian bonny

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2022, 07:21:36 AM »
nice figures etc

15mm is a great size.

Peter Pig got some green + red aliens + some heads for conversions.

Julian

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2022, 04:14:53 PM »
Indeed WM  !!!!..... I'm off ......

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2022, 07:06:28 PM »
Indeed WM  !!!!..... I'm off ......

lol lol lol Way to funny!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2022, 07:19:33 PM »
nice figures etc

15mm is a great size.

Peter Pig got some green + red aliens + some heads for conversions.

Julian

Head swaps are great for making up new figures. Here is one of my head swaps making a regular police officer figure from Rebel Minis and a new head from Peter Pig, WWI Dough Boy. I was able to make Minnesota State Troopers for Zombie games with a little different paint scheme they could have been some local Sheriff Department.

With Ball Caps they could be Game Wardens, which will be a set I will be working on this summer. It is just a good way to give multiple figure a different look.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2022, 08:59:35 AM »
Looks like I've got some lunchbreak research to do!

Not sure I'm brave enough to start thinking about cutting and sticking body parts at this scale just yet. It feels less forgiving than 28mm, which also has plenty of handy accessories which can obscure most of my clumsy sins. I have started breaking some of the more fragile limbs, so I should have a decent enough collection of practice dummies going forward!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2022, 03:51:00 AM »
You can use Green Stuff to make changes as well.

Here I just added Green Stuff to make this figure fit the roll I wanted it in.

The figure on the left I also changed its appearance with just Green Stuff.

So here she is finished and painted.

These were duplicates of a set, now they are Post Apocalypse Scooby-Doo and the Gang!

This should help to inspire you, due to the fact that many of the sets we all buy generally have duplicates of the same figure in them that sometimes we just don't know what to do with them.

I am hoping to see more of your work.

Offline julian bonny

• Assistant
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2022, 05:28:46 AM »
very nice work WM
julian

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2022, 04:31:05 PM »
That, and 15mm figures are cheap enough that hacking one up and having to pitch it isn't that big of a deal. Certainly cheaper to experiment with than 28mm!