Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:15:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Magic and Tech: Play Testing Take 3  (Read 5631 times)

Offline The Officer Factory

• Assistant
Magic and Tech: Play Testing Take 3
« on: January 17, 2022, 05:08:36 AM »
Hello and good day to you all. Allow me to explain a little bit of myself and then the game that I wish to have you all play test.
I have been recommended to pos ton here twice so here we go.
I have been a war gamer officially back in 2006 when my sister bought for me and my brother the Games Workshop Battle For Macragge set but we have been war gamers years prior with my dads Avalon Hill Panzer Blitz game.
I have joined a wonderful war gaming club after stumbling upon them in an article of Wargamer Illustrated called the HAWKS. In my time with them, I have designed 3 war game rules; one of them failed as it was too big for me to do. Well, it was this failure of a game that my current 4th and longest developed game has sprouted from.

Years and years ago, back in middle school, I tried my hand in writing and the story series I written were a total mess. Like it has everything in it! So I stopped. Fast forward to as of 2022, 7 years ago, I revisited this world which I developed and refined it to where it makes more sense than what I made.

In this world setting, magic is disappearing and science is ruling supreme as in the worlds past, magic use has led to disastrous consequences. In the big war eighty years ago, magic bombs were developed in place of nuclear weapons and this ripped holes to the demon realm and the world has been fighting them on and off again since then.
The world is split between two neighboring super powers; one of which has tried for 1500 years to conquer the other.
Well the two nations have been at a state of Cold War with minor border skirmishes but lately, there has been a harsh uptick of attacks from cultists and terrorist groups. The mad days of science and technology merging to create abhorrent monstrosities are coming back but there is one type of trooper; a merger of magic and technology that has been able to stave off these threats; Combat Witches.
Utilizing the Ground/ Aerial/ Marine Combat Magical Apparatus or GCMA, ACMA, MCMA; combat witches use these leg fitted devices to propel them towards danger where even high powered weapons have proven to fail against many adversaries.
Magic and Tech is a 28mm platoon plus game where players can field a platoon in a semi skirmish style game. Platoons are split into squads which if applicable are split into fire teams. Shooting is done via D10 with the enemy unit To-Hit score being the base plus/minus modifiers times rate of fire. Units are pinned if 6x D10s of 6+ are rolled despite modifiers. Subject to change.
All units have two actions with a wide variety of single actions or dual actions that they can do. This includes a nothing action.
I am developing this game with the hope of creating minis for it someday.
As of now, I have 4 units for play testing with proxy paper target boards and round bases with the troop position in the fire team.
Your feedback will be greatly appreciated as I will post updates every two months; this includes new content to test out as well as rules updates.
I wish you all, have fun.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kgTDdpMyL-XkcFmEJEr3tu2uFJ6QwiSV/view?usp=sharing
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ottsunzzcx5err/Magic%20and%20Tech%20V0.12%20Packet.zip?dl=0
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 06:03:24 AM by The Officer Factory »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Magic and Tech: Play Testing Take 3
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 07:51:22 AM »
Welcome!

Sounds like there is still a lot going on in this idea!

I take it by the mention of fireteams and squads that your non-magical side to the game is pretty modern in its take? Which is a novel approach. From the initial read I was thinking perhaps a 19th Century take.

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 05:11:17 PM »
Thank you for that. Yes, it's a modern to near sci-fi approach to a fantasy world setting. I can go full wild on this project but I have learned to restrain myself and take the play testing slow! I have more squads and support options to add; both on and off board. There are mecha, tanks, helicopter and air support, drone support, mages, dog handlers, vampires, giants, centaurs, you name it; it will probably be in here.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 06:29:31 PM »
I suppose the question is as you get more to Sci fi is where does magic fit in compared to technology or psionics? And fantasy creatures vs aliens. Or compared with weird WWII

figures sound like they could be challenging too.

Not trying to be negative more to understand where this idea fits with established concepts - not that it has to!

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 08:42:56 PM »
The magic aspect could be conventional with the combat witches utilizing their magic to project shields or increase their strength, accuracy, personal things like that as there could be a wizard in the back summoning, healing, buffing or de-buffing, countering other spells all the while trying not to be sniped while summoning/ conjuring their spells.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 09:24:44 PM »
I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but this is really reminding me of the Darksword trilogy (by the Dragonlance authors, from memory).
In one of those books (the second one?) a fantasy setting unaware of tanks and such is suddenly invaded by a late 20th century(ish) army unaware of magic. I remember there were some cool touches, like the spells were only effective against tanks once the wielders knew what tanks were - that tanks were not monsters but rather machines with people inside.

Anyway, if you don't know that books, they might be fun to read for some inspiration. They're written for a teen audience more than anything, but are still readable. Or maybe that doesn't fit with what you're thinking - it isn't that there is magic and tech on both sides.

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 11:48:29 PM »
It HIGHLY reminds me of an anime series called Gate. Never watched that nor read the book series you mentioned. I should take a look though. Could pique some interesting ideas. Thanks.

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 03:13:14 AM »
It's here! V0.13! This one is a serious re-work of the prior version with many improvements to just about everything and I hope you all enjoy it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PyPHSi6mJb191k9e6lvbgWAtRGU-MXUz/view?usp=sharing

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uh5oftybhh9m5dp/Magic%20and%20Tech%20V0.13%20Packet.zip?dl=0

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 03:32:12 AM »
I haven't forgotten about this page! And the project is still on going and this means beta V0.14 is up!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A4ZIx-1Ud0P3poePU9H5On5Yu8LIFyDI/view?usp=sharing

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/iwf2e5vp1wi4ed6lyqgy2/h?dl=0&rlkey=ymeolm98uu38b43xean49wvhc

From one of these links; your preference; you'll have access to a packet, a .ZIP that has all of the game content from markers, unit cards, rules, etc. Also, here is a link to my discord dedicated to the game.

https://discord.gg/BWjkewEk

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 01:07:39 AM »
I normally jump at the chance to play-test games put up here on Lead Adventure, but I admit this one is a miss for me, solely on the lore/IP/feel.  It's not something that interests me, nor is it something I could put together with miniatures I own.

I wish you luck, but I think the rather unique genre/setting is going to be an uphill struggle for a lot of people.  It gives me a vague Rifts vibe, though.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 04:21:36 PM »
I am sorry to hear that but I can't complain as we all have our own preferences. Thank you for at the least taking a look.
Meanwhile, V0.15 is now up!
This was a lot of work and I found a lot of proxies were not made! So cards have been updated and improved so there is less cards to deal with. It is easier to see who is who now on said cards. Some stats have been changed and wording made easier to understand; I hope. So take a look and enjoy V0.15!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvr7s17f928t0db/Magic%20and%20Tech%20V0.15%20Packet.zip?dl=0

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CV9IwKBL9Dc9r2wCQS7i2ofy7i1VKoO-/view?usp=sharing

Offline Wildman II

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 06:07:05 PM »
Are there any playtest videos posted on the internet anywhere? I would
also be interested in what miniatures or conversions people are using
to play your game.
Someone did mention the anime, Gate. Which I did enjoy and combines
magic and technology.

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 12:39:35 PM »
Not yet. I really have no way of engaging interest but it seems that is at a zero as of now. As noted, there are no videos yet but I'll work on that soon as well as establish cheap starters that have a scenario book and two squads. The scenario book will break the game down and talk about the rules in a step-up fashion.

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2022, 08:08:34 AM »
My clubs wargaming convention Barrage and HMGS Fall-In 2022 have come and gone. V0.15 has been released as V0.16 is in editing and it is taking a LONG time; thanks to me having to edit over a hundred unit entries!
I have decided to take the lazy approach and copy/ paste US/ Russian TO&E for units and pasted them into this science fantasy setting. This also means that with some tweaks, this could be the first mass battle modern game for 28mm! If I so do choose that route.
V0.16 will probably still be in editing for another month so take a gander at these pics from Historical 2022.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 07:38:49 AM by The Officer Factory »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2022, 01:14:55 PM »
Wow, you've put a ton of work into this!  Neat that you've been able to get it to the table at conventions. 

I do think that to generate more interest, it may be time to paint up some figures and such. Shouldn't be too expensive or fine consuming if you're leaning on modern and near future types.

Good luck with the game whatever direction you end up taking it.