Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:25:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Play-Testing my Rule Modfications Play-Session  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Helznicht

• Bookworm
Play-Testing my Rule Modfications Play-Session
« on: September 28, 2015, 01:18:14 AM »
A test game of my modified rules on the Coast of Frostgrave. We played 2 small bands, each has a wizard, thug, ranger and knight. 4 spells each, to try out how I would do a demo game (using Leap, Poison Dart, Fog, Bones of the Earth). 

Changes that I am testing include:
* Using Heroscape dice for combat (which required stat rebalancing)
* Special abilities for soldiers to fit their class
* Common Magic Point pool to cast spells from (D12 common, D12 roll)
* Charge action to initiate melee combat

After first round of positioning.  My daughters wiz used leap to get up into a building and position for the treasure.  My ranger went up a ladder to move toward a treasure on a bridge and get a nice view of the board.  My wiz leap forward, leaving my knight guard trailing behind (proved to be a mistake later).

In my 2nd round my ranger got distracted from treasure hunting to take a shot at her knight in a building. It was an unsuccessful long range shot with the knight partially obscured by a huge ice crystal.

She picked up the first treasure with her wiz and made down out of the building.

My brave wizard made for her side, and cast fog to block any potential poison darts from her wizard and her rangers bow.  Unfortunately for me, her ranger had enough move to get line of sight of my wiz, and puts a bolt in me for 3 hp.

3rd round my wiz leap into a building on her side and moved for the treasure there.  She tried to cast bones of the earth on my wiz, but failed! 

She then dropped her treasure off for her thug to pick it up later.  Her ranger takes a pot shot at my wiz, but misses as I tuck behind a wall for cover.  Both of our knights are woefully out of position for any action.  By now my thug has snatched a treasure on my side and is heading for the door.

4th round sees my daughter win initiative and plans for my wiz's demise.  Jumping to a high treasure on my daughters side proved to be much too aggressive. I was down to half hit points already from her rangers bow earlier and when up in the building my wizard took a poison dart from her wiz, and another shot from her ranger taking another 1 hp. I hadn't picked up the treasure yet, and now with only 1 action per round (poison dart) all I could do was to stay alive. I cast leap again, but the coastline was to far away, so all I could do is jump down and into cover behind an ice crystal. Unfortunately, this was still in range of her knights charge, which she did. Her knight rolled 3 hits and I blocked 2, leaving me with 1 hp on my wiz. Winning the fight, she pushed my wiz out into the open from behind the crystal. On my soldiers action, I decided to charge her ranger with my knight, tying him up (my ranger up in a tower was going to handle her knight, to hopefully allow escape of my wizard). I...misjudged the charge distance, leaving my knight short of her ranger. The below pic is the outcome of my brave blunder.................

At this point we had to break for dinner, but hopefully will finish it up tonight.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
Re: Play-Testing my Rule Modfications Play-Session
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 02:10:23 AM »
Are those gold counters from the old Weapons & Warriors toys? I feel like I've seen those before.

Offline Helznicht

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 02:29:34 AM »
No.  From the newer Battlegrounds game (same game, new name).  :)

Offline Helznicht

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 01:48:38 AM »
Finished up tonight.

I won initiative, so my wiz made a break for it.  She just moved her wiz up for positioning.  I finished my charge against her ranger, pushing him back with a couple points of damage.  My ranger took a clear shot at her knight getting 5 hits! But most were deflected my her knights shield, so just a graze.  Her ranger breaks free of my knight and goes for the treasure.  Her knight then moved in to finish what he started, and my wiz goes down.  :(

Next round with my knight free, I decide to go for revenge against her wiz, chasing her down.  A double team from a "Bones of the Earth" and a from behind charge with herknight, seals the deal for my armored guard.

with both our thugs escaping with treasures already, and her ranger off with the spoils, my ranger snatches the last treasure and runs for the hills.  I was able to break free of another bones of the earth spell to make it off the table, her wiz and knight in hot pursuit.

That left us with 2 treasures each, a tie, but a moral victory for my daughter with 2 kills and routing my ranger.   I love the way it played out.  I made a couple boneheaded moves, and payed the price, just like I should have.