Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:46:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Depths of Winter - A SAGA: Age of Magic Campaign Report  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
The Depths of Winter - A SAGA: Age of Magic Campaign Report
« on: January 18, 2022, 05:52:48 PM »
Hi all,

Perhaps a little presumptuous of me, but I thought I'd separate this from my Black Order log, as it's purely SAGA-focussed and is perhaps a project in its own right.

Over Christmas, myself and a friend thought we'd try experimenting with Saga's potential for a short-burn campaign using the Warlord experience table at the back of the Book of Battles. Things have rather snowballed since! Below is a short campaign pack I threw together for a short campaign of five games (with a little bit of branching) between two players, along with a brief intro to the armies used.

If this works, I'm hoping to expand it to a couple more eager participants, improving it with their ideas and feedback. We are two games deep, currently, and it's a blast so far - the exploration table and Saga's Warlord talents are making for a nice level of personalisation.

Have a look and see what you think! I'll post up the battle report from Game 1 momentarily.

" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Depths of Winter - A SAGA: Age of Magic Campaign Report
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 05:54:49 PM »

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 07:28:57 PM »
Your graphic skills are great as always. Maybe I need to take a look at these xp rules, we've really just been playing random scenarios.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 07:40:53 PM »
 I'll echo Ogrob, your graphical skills certainly makes for a quality and easy to follow read. It looks like it was a fun game! I tried Saga myself during the latter part of last year and had some fun with it. Making a narrative of it always makes the games more fun too in my eyes, I wasn't aware that Saga had some manner of experience/character development system. That's interesting.

At first I was curious how you had so many more units, before I saw that 24 warrior unit. That is one beefy block.

The Order continues to ooze atmosphere, as does the terrain you've made to fit them. It really shows how a cohesive vision lends itself to a great looking board and battle.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 10:05:59 PM »
Great stuff - good looking armies and great write up. I do like your friend’s bold basing, did he do the blue based Warmaster undead too?

We only played a couple of games of Saga AoM - probably due to Covid, but I’d like to play it more, too many games too few gaming opportunities it seems.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 01:54:00 PM »
Wonderful miniatures and terrain make for a great looking game. The AAR was exciting to read and the narrative elements really make the game your own. Keep up the fantastic work.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 08:18:40 PM »
Coming back to this, is your opponent only rolling 4 SAGA dice per turn with those massive units? How is that working out?

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 12:24:00 AM »
Love all the graphics you do for these AAR's  :D

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 08:57:35 PM »
Your graphic skills are great as always. Maybe I need to take a look at these xp rules, we've really just been playing random scenarios.

Coming back to this, is your opponent only rolling 4 SAGA dice per turn with those massive units? How is that working out?

Thanks mate. Yes, the Experience rules really add something nice and flavoursome, although they're fairly mellow in their impact on the game. I do recommend them if you're keen to tie your games together.

Also, yes - in both games he only rolled 4 dice (we were playing 6pts, mind). It had more of an issue in game 1, where half his army didn't move out of the ruins (although arguably I defeated myself a bit here by giving too much respect to his Warlord on Beast and mounted Hearthguard). It did have some impact, however not as much as it might - he reliably rolled 1 Rare every time and used it to generate 2 fresh Saga dice.

We are playing game 3 - The Crossing - tomorrow, and I'm curious to see how he's adapted his force.

I'll echo Ogrob, your graphical skills certainly makes for a quality and easy to follow read. It looks like it was a fun game! I tried Saga myself during the latter part of last year and had some fun with it. Making a narrative of it always makes the games more fun too in my eyes, I wasn't aware that Saga had some manner of experience/character development system. That's interesting.

At first I was curious how you had so many more units, before I saw that 24 warrior unit. That is one beefy block.

The Order continues to ooze atmosphere, as does the terrain you've made to fit them. It really shows how a cohesive vision lends itself to a great looking board and battle.

Thanks mate - coming from you that is high praise indeed. I often share your stuff among some other logs to my gaming group to try and encourage more people to jump into RoSD/Oathmark type gaming. If you do get into Saga in a bigger way I'll be curious to hear your thoughts - most of your RoSD stuff would have direct analogues in Saga (whether as bipedal Creatures or human infantry).

Great stuff - good looking armies and great write up. I do like your friend’s bold basing, did he do the blue based Warmaster undead too?

We only played a couple of games of Saga AoM - probably due to Covid, but I’d like to play it more, too many games too few gaming opportunities it seems.

Thanks very much! Yes, good eye - he also did the Undead in the other thread :) I know what you mean re: gaming opportunities. I'm trying to build up more of a scene in London right now.

Wonderful miniatures and terrain make for a great looking game. The AAR was exciting to read and the narrative elements really make the game your own. Keep up the fantastic work.

Thanks Odo! Much appreciated.

Love all the graphics you do for these AAR's  :D

Cheers!

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 11:05:59 PM »
Excellent post! I enjoyed the read and pictures of the armies.  :)

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 11:28:45 AM »
Excellent post! I enjoyed the read and pictures of the armies.  :)

Thanks for reading!

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 09:49:19 PM »
An excellent post. I've been thinking of looking at SAGA AoM again and you've inspired me. Great work on the narrative and on the presentation.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/