Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dark Age Irish Plog  (Read 3440 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Dark Age Irish Plog
« on: January 24, 2022, 05:50:13 PM »
Greetings All,

In 2021, I finished painting up a force of Vikings from Victrix.  In a fit of craziness, I batch painted all 60 of them all at once over the course of a month or so.  I do NOT recommend this approach at all. 

If you are interested, you can see the gory details on my blog here: http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2021/10/on-painting-desk-lets-go-viking.html

However, for 2022 I wanted to create an opponent for my force.  I decided on using the Dark Age Irish from Wargames Atlantic for a a couple of reasons:

1. A strong contrast to my Viking force
2. Try a different provided than Victrix
3. Plastic models and inexpensive for two boxes

Therefore, once 2022 rolled around I made an order and got my boxes delivered quick and tidy. 

Overall, the sculpts seemed pretty clean with clear, deep details.  However, some of the joins on the sprue left some scrapping in hard to reach areas.  They assembled easily and without need of instructions, but I felt like I did more scrapping off join waste than my Victrix efforts.  However, no serious issues in the making.  I used 1 inch round washers as my bases because those give the plastic models a bit of heft and stability.  Wargames Atlantic models come with a "puddle" base but no basing beyond that. 

Overall, there are three distinct features that make up a Dark Age Irish army:

1. Bare footed and little to no armor
2. The distinctive Shillelagh walking stick club
3. Irish Wolfhounds

The Irish Wolfhound going into battle besides the Irish forces is a staple of wargaming.  However, I am not sure how strong a grasp this common Irish army feature has in reality.  I decided to lean into it with my skirmishers being half regular troops and half Wolfhounds.  As skirmishers it seemed to make the most sense in the army.  I also did not get enough slings for what I had planned, so half the two slinger units are just throwing rocks.  This makes the army look considerably less professional than their Viking foes, which I have no issue with.

When all 60 troops were assembled, I had 2 units of warriors, 2 units of slingers, and 2 units of skirmishers (with Wolfhounds blocking out their numbers, even though I had enough miniatures of men if I wanted).  I normally add the shields after I have them painted, as a final step. 

Next steps are to undercoat them by brush white, and then block in the flesh tones.  I will be updating my progress here as I go, so let's buckle in and go on a little Dark Age Irish journey. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Dark Age Irish Plog
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 06:03:52 PM »
Great post! Following as I assembled two units of six Victrix Saxon Huscarls last night for Lion Rampant. It was a hateful experience...until I found out Victrix include the assembly instructions on the back of the bag's cardboard label...that I didn't have... :/

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 05:32:08 PM »
I am finding some minor adhesion problems with my paints with these guys.  I think they would benefit from a warm water with Dawn bath to help with this issue.  It could also be the fact that I am using cheap acrylics as a base coat. 

Anyone else have this issue, or just me?

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 07:02:36 PM »
Easy E, can't comment on these specifically but I always wash my plastics in soap and water before priming. I then spray them gray with a can of car primer . Can't say it is the best way to proceed but it works for me .

Regards

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 10:36:06 PM »
I have been thinking of putting together some Irish as well - so just the post I wanted to see thank you.

Think Irish against Irish would also be fun... Are you going to add the Gripping Beast Irish?

See: https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/GBP31_Dark_Age_Irish--product--6641.html

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 03:16:49 PM »
No intention of using any Gripping Beast Irish, BUT I do intend on adding some of their "Generic Dark Ages" models to my next Dark Age army. 

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 10:38:40 PM »
Well, skirmishers with wolfhounds that I am done painting but still need basing.......

When all was said and done, the painting turned out fine!

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 09:09:01 PM »
Managed to finish off the main paint jobs for the two units of Slingers.....

Still need basing, but I tend to do all the units at once.  Only two more warrior units to go!

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 06:08:02 PM »
Man, I just remembered how much I HATE painting shields, but especially Dark Age shields. 

I wish I would have gotten some transfers.  :(

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2022, 06:15:18 PM »
You still could. It is also time-consuming. But certainly, want to see your Irish completed and in games.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2022, 11:01:21 PM »
True, but I want to finish them so I am forging ahead. 

Progress requires sacrifice! 

lol lol lol

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2022, 06:46:37 PM »
Well, it took a bit longer to base these guys than I expected but...... life and all that getting in the way.....

Here is a taste of what the army will look like all based up.  I actually got the army finished but, have not had a great chance to take photos of it.  Perhaps in the next few days? 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:25:18 PM by Easy E »

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2022, 05:26:02 PM »
This force is now done....

There are unit pictures and more detail about the process on my blog.

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2022/05/on-painting-desk-dark-age-irish-are.html