Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 08:10:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697579
  • Total Topics: 118846
  • Online Today: 511
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Meknificent Seven and Friends - 2014/10/26 Meks and Mercs (p.16)  (Read 90969 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: The Meknificent Seven and Friends
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 09:31:20 AM »
Next step:

Filling up the gaps and basic bulking.

Step 3: Re-modelled arms (unfinished) from the outside.

The inner side (not visible) is smooth and basically finished, but I may add some detail later on (screwheads, rivets or something, not too much, just do liven it up a bit).

This is the bulked-up torso:

I´ll make the "step" towards the rear less prominent later on.

The basic head shape is also done. More pics to follow this afternoon/evening (UK time).

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 05:42:22 PM »
Most work is done! I´ll add shoulders and details after the glue has set. The middle "tooth" of the lower jaw will have to be reduced a bit, though.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 12:49:30 PM »

He looks great so far, although IMO he is standing a little more upright than his usual gorilla-like pose.

The head is great.  The head will make or break the project I think.  It is definitely where I think that I may have some trouble whenever I get around to my Mongrol project.

I am looking forward to seeing further progress, plus a shot of Mongrol hanging out with the rest of the ABCs.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 12:55:05 PM »
He looks great so far, although IMO he is standing a little more upright than his usual gorilla-like pose.

The head is great.  The head will make or break the project I think.  It is definitely where I think that I may have some trouble whenever I get around to my Mongrol project.

I am looking forward to seeing further progress, plus a shot of Mongrol hanging out with the rest of the ABCs.

I finished off the sculpting part and am currently painting it. You´re right with the pose, apparently I underestimated the effect of the hips repositioning. I hope I can counteract the visual effect by getting the paint scheme done.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 07:58:51 PM »
how big are you doing you Mongrol?

he was about as tall as a man, but that was when Hammerstein was only a smidge taller... the foundry big Hammerstein of course is massive... so kinda torn on what to do with mine...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 10:16:33 PM »
how big are you doing you Mongrol?

he was about as tall as a man, but that was when Hammerstein was only a smidge taller... the foundry big Hammerstein of course is massive... so kinda torn on what to do with mine...

The "clunky" Mongrol is rather large, a bit smaller than the "Big Hammy" and Mek-Quake figures from foundry, but of course more massive. Volumewise, it´s reminiscent of the big, "bestial" Mongrol from "Khronicles of Khaos" or "Hellbringer".

The "Mk2" Mongrol is more along the original-sized ones (as in "The Meknificent Seven", and, to a lesser extent, "The Black Hole" and the "Return to Mars" setting.

Now I´m a bit miffed that I did not buy the "small Hammerstein" too, but I still don´t like the sculpt, so it´s 50/50 - it IS darn obvious, though, that the "Big Hammerstein" is indeed much too big.

I´ll wait until the painting of the "small" Mongrol is complete for a final verdict. I´m happy with how he turned out so far, but the big one´s pose is better, and I like it more and more every time I look at it. Maybe I´ll add some post-painting sculpting parts to "sharpen him up" a bit, especially along the arms, which simply turned out too soft (was too impatient with them, I´ll admit).

Had I had my usual scratchbuilding stuff at hand, I´m sure I could have done a much better one, using plastic spheres for the body and plasticard-covered balsa wood for the arms, for a much, much cleaner model. I´ll probably take some supplies over when I visit my parents for christmas and then do a third model by that method.

I am really, really miffed with Foundry that they fell short of doing a Mongrol. I could live without the other various characters, but Mongrol is a must-have.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 09:01:31 AM »
I am really, really miffed with Foundry that they fell short of doing a Mongrol. I could live without the other various characters, but Mongrol is a must-have.

tell me about it, the WIP green was shown on Frothers a while back... lovely...

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2009, 07:57:46 PM »
right... made a start on the arms... this is gonna be slow and steady I think, even with a base figure cut up, it's virtually sculpting from scratch as far as I'm concerned (just avoided the tricky bit of the hands  lol)...  legs are a head scratcher...

Offline Dizbuster

• Student
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2009, 10:18:03 AM »
Wow this thread has taken me back abit. Lovely jobs on them all. Hmm Deadlock on a bike doing the tower jump in The Red Death

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2009, 09:23:18 AM »
Alright, now this project is branching into the 2000AD crossover/potpourri I had intended it to be.

I received a batch of Copplestone Castings Neo-Soviets I´ll paint up as Volgans. "Unfortunately" (least appropriate use ever!), they come with nicely-sculpted stars on their helmet.

Now, I´m thinking whether I should leave these stars on and go for the "modern, undiplomatic" Volgan style which is openly, nay, blatantly "Neo-Soviet" or shave and sand them off and paint the Yellow Skull emblem on them.

I´m personally leaning towards the latter, since it would make them more instantly recognisable and more "unique" in wargaming terms. The amount of work is negligible, but I´m reluctant to remove those stars since they are so nicely done.

Recommendations?

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2009, 10:09:14 AM »
Recommendations?

Are the stars large enough to accomodate a painted on yellow skull emblem in the middle? 

I dont remember what the Volgan skull symbol looks like, but if it is a pretty simple image then maybe that might work out as the best of both worlds.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2009, 12:43:53 PM »
Are the stars large enough to accomodate a painted on yellow skull emblem in the middle? 

I dont remember what the Volgan skull symbol looks like, but if it is a pretty simple image then maybe that might work out as the best of both worlds.

No, not really large enough. They are about 2-3mm across, and so nicely done, but too small to combine the two.

The Volgan´s symbol is pretty much a yellow skull superimposed on a yello "V" on a black field (circular for icons, and I think a full black flag).

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2009, 01:33:54 PM »
If you want them to be Volgans, you must ditch the star. You can't just keep it because it is pretty. If you like it so much buy some more to paint up differently that you can keep the star on.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2009, 01:55:19 PM »
If you want them to be Volgans, you must ditch the star. You can't just keep it because it is pretty. If you like it so much buy some more to paint up differently that you can keep the star on.

I´m prepared to do so, but must admit that it was tempting. As said, the "newer" stuff uses more "Soviet" icons, but I did a mock-image of a Hind sporting the Skull and it´s much better that way. Otherwise, they´d just be "just some other Neo-Soviets", and not Volgans.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2009, 08:03:42 PM »
Love them.

Robo-jaws is my favourite ABC warriors character by far! I haven't read those comics in years! :)

Might just have to.  :)

Great job, and good god, I want the FOundry 2000AD range...