Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:18:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689610
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Raglan's War on the Plains  (Read 6748 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: Raglan's War on the Plains
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2022, 10:34:40 AM »
Another fantastic looking project Gareth - love the Indian village and the settlers, but the cavalry are simply  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2022, 06:16:45 PM »
"Move 'em out, Mr. Pennell!"

:-*

Wagons ho mate!!!

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2022, 07:55:14 PM »
Lovely looking collection!

We’re planning to put on another big 28mm Plains War game (inspired by the Rosebud) at Partizan in May using Foundry figures and MWWBK adapted rules.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2022, 08:09:53 PM »
We’re planning to put on another big 28mm Plains War game (inspired by the Rosebud) at Partizan in May using Foundry figures and MWWBK adapted rules.

I hope to be there to see it.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2022, 01:32:22 AM »
Did someone say "Rosebud"?  My influence is great (well, maybe, I've been slogging Rosebud as the better gaming option over Little Big Horn for a while now so don't really know if I deserve any credit - but in the spirit of the times (sad comment perhaps  :?) I figure I can go ahead and take lots of credit, deserved or not  lol).

Alas, too far afield for me what with a continent and a whole ocean betwixt me and the game location.

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2022, 09:06:04 PM »
Rosebud is, in many ways, a more interesting action than LBH but much less easy to translate onto the tabletop, both in terms of terrain and the sheer size of the battlefield - which is why our version will be ‘inspired by’ rather than a strictly accurate recreation.

BUT, I’d love to see suggestions on how best to represent the key terrain features on a 12’ x 6’ table, bearing in mind I’m using 28mm figures (8-10 figures per company, roughly 1:4) - I’ve started with the Hotz BFE2 scenario and studied a few maps but still not satisfied with 5 weeks to go.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2022, 01:13:57 AM »
sjwalker: "Inspired by" makes sense.

Various options but you might want to focus on Royall's day and include Andrew's Charge - all this focused on after he passes Crow's Hill and ends up at the upper end of Kollmar Creek and then slowly falls back.  But that leaves out Mill's actions on the eastern side of the battle but you might be able to include Foster's charge over on the western flank.  And you lose Mill's and Noye's return to the battlefield to close it out.  Van Viet's actions, while critical on the south side of the Rosebud in preventing the force getting surrounded, can certainly be left out.

I was able to visit the battle field though really only the southern elements, not the areas of the more significant actions.  Van Viet's position was much taller than most of the rest of the battle field from my perspective.  There is a buffalo jump on the eastern side of the battle field - and surprisingly short (not at all like the silliness of the cliff in the movie Alpha - though I like the movie otherwise). Visited the morning before spending the balance of the day at LBH site. 

By the way, the drive along Rosebud going north from the battle site is a pretty cool drive and makes very clear why the Indians spent a lot of time there - though mostly all now turned into farming/ranching land.  It is a pretty drive and would have been the best camping sites in the area for many miles with the fresh water of the Rosebud - probably plenty of game to hunt.  Many miles in a wide 'trench' of sort with the waterway meandering about.  Not like that at all by the battle site, though.  Definitely a rising landscape going north from the Rosebud, some marshy areas near where the cavalry stopped to rest, with Kollmar Creek cutting north in the center, another creek heading north to the west, and another dry cut into the hills (with the buffalo jump on the east side) on the eastern flank.  So, basically, three dividing lines cutting the battle field into far west, west - the creek, the center with Kollmar creek, the east side, and the Far East where Mill's and Noye's headed north before cutting west and back to the battlefield.

Hope all of that makes sense - sounds like you have some knowledge of the battle so I limited my explanations.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2022, 01:50:09 PM »
Been rereading one of my sources and a reminder that Kollmar Creek was dry at the time of the battle.  You could use the length of the table as the valley with hills to either side, the right side - from Rosebud heading uphill - would be a long ridge and the left side would still be a long ridge but with some breaks in it and at the top left a bit of a knoll.  That would give you the essence of the field.  Both ridges would rise in height going north.

Hope we get photos of your table and your game once it has been prepared and then after it has been played.