Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:06:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690458
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "ONUS! Traianus" wargame  (Read 15039 times)

Offline DracoIdeas

• Bookworm
Re: "ONUS! Traianus" wargame
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2022, 02:50:15 PM »
Thanks!  :D

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2022, 02:12:21 PM »
Hope you have a lot more stretch goals. This Kickstarter appears to be going exceedingly well.

Congrats!

Offline DracoIdeas

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2022, 05:09:01 PM »
Hope you have a lot more stretch goals. This Kickstarter appears to be going exceedingly well.

Congrats!
Yes, we have prepared new Stretch Goals of units for the backers, in addition to scenarios and generals, mainly.  :D

Offline DracoIdeas

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2022, 11:10:12 AM »
Ave, generals!

The campaign continues at a good pace, so much so that we have had to group the first 20 unlocked goals on one page because we had exceeded the maximum that Kickstarter allows.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dracoideas/onus-traianus/posts/3460946

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2022, 09:34:40 PM »
Watching this very closely and thinking about going all in.

Here is question for you:

In respect to the Roman empire, I count (with stretch goals) 3 legionnaire units and 1 Pretorian Guard unit. Of course with the inclusion of the Roman Auxiliaries, you get another infantry unit, but shouldn't the Auxiliaries have at least the same amount of infantry units as the legionnaire counterparts? Seems kinda small to me especially since the Romans were mainly an infantry army.

Please correct me if I am wrong. So many stretch goals, it is hard to keep up.

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2022, 10:09:11 PM »

In respect to the Roman empire, I count (with stretch goals) 3 legionnaire units and 1 Pretorian Guard unit. Of course with the inclusion of the Roman Auxiliaries, you get another infantry unit, but shouldn't the Auxiliaries have at least the same amount of infantry units as the legionnaire counterparts? Seems kinda small to me especially since the Romans were mainly an infantry army.

I'm probably a bit opinionated on this subject. I used to be a reenactor of the 1st century Roman army - Early Imperial Roman period. I had two "impressions" - one as a heavy legionnaire with overlapping plate armor - "lorica segmentata", cylindrical scutum (shield), and the most modern for the time cassis (helmet). The other impression was of an auxiliary infantry with chain - "lorica hamata", oval flat shield, and earlier period cassis (Coolus E - looks like a Celtic helmet). This was an impression of an very early period auxiliary. The Romans also used native supplied auxiliaries, armed and armored as their native characteristics. So these units were much more likely to be "lighter" in comparison to their Roman counterparts.

During simulated combat (Dan Peterson's "needlefelt" system) against Briton reenactors (spear & shield, light armor), it was very, very clear how much more effective the Lorica Segmentata of the legionaires was compared to hamata (chain). While chainmail is very very effective and superior in some characteristics, segmentata would be much more effective against close order combat where thrusting weapons predominated.

The native (numerii) supplied Auxiliaries would possibly/probably were much less well trained and disciplined that legionnaires.

So my opinion is that Auxiliaries should not be equivalent to Legionaires , YMMV.

Cary

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2022, 01:22:03 AM »
So my opinion is that Auxiliaries should not be equivalent to Legionaires , YMMV.

I am not saying that they should be equivalent.

What I am saying is that I believe it was not uncommon for a Roman army to have as many Auxiliaries as they had Legionnaires.

Or am I wrong here?

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2022, 01:31:44 AM »
I am not saying that they should be equivalent.

What I am saying is that I believe it was not uncommon for a Roman army to have as many Auxiliaries as they had Legionnaires.

Or am I wrong here?

I think you're probably right, although I cannot cite any source.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2022, 01:43:03 AM »
I think you're probably right, although I cannot cite any source.

Cheers!

Cool write up though. You should post some photos of your re-enactor days. Roman re-enactors look so cool!

Offline DracoIdeas

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2022, 08:56:00 AM »

Hi @Ray,
We plan that the backers will receive these units, inside the game box and adding the extras:
INFANTRY (16)
Praetorian Guard 4
Legionaries 7
Evocati 5

Praetorian Cavalry 2
Cataphractarii 3
Contarii 3
Equites singulares Augusti 2
Carroballistae 3

AUXILIARS
Equites 5
Funditores 4
Equites Sagittarii 2
Equites Maurorum 4
Cohors Cantabrorum 3
Cohors Gallorum 2
Cohors Syrorum Sagittariorum 4
Cohors Brittonum 5

Offline DracoIdeas

• Bookworm
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2022, 08:57:39 AM »
In battle we can represent specialized units or the classic Roman legion with almost all infantry (legionnaires). Our idea is that in the game you have a lot of variety to choose from.  :D

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2022, 01:02:51 PM »
In battle we can represent specialized units or the classic Roman legion with almost all infantry (legionnaires). Our idea is that in the game you have a lot of variety to choose from.  :D

:o

I see. Thanks!

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2022, 11:17:30 PM »
Cheers!

Cool write up though. You should post some photos of your re-enactor days. Roman re-enactors look so cool!

About the only photo I haven't lost:

And here is one I was not in, but this is the group I reenacted with (Legio IX Hispana out of San Diego):

« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 11:21:20 PM by bollix »

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2022, 11:22:57 PM »
Here is a photo, which I'm not in, but is the group I was part of at an immersion event in Arkansas called AD43 about the Roman invasion of Britain. (These were our guys from the San Diego chapter, I was in the Texas chapter) I was at this event though.

Sorry for the double post of that photo, thought my first one didn't post when I tried to edit the initial posting.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 11:26:15 PM by bollix »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2022, 11:34:36 PM »
Nice!  :)