Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:16:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686458
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: STARGRAVE - Crew of the 'AZIZAS WRATH'  (Read 7429 times)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
STARGRAVE - Crew of the 'AZIZAS WRATH'
« on: February 17, 2022, 11:22:24 AM »
Hello fellow Captains!

The Crew of the 'AZIZAS WRATH' checking in and ready for deployment!!!

After completing a Turnip 28 project I am eager to switch time lines and swap apocalyptic Napoleonic for the ravaged stars, space crafts and high tech weapons!!!

The background is centred on the Crew (DUH!! of course!) all being former inhabitants of a lost planet that fought together in their home world defence either as part of a standing army or civilians protecting home. After the war ended and the merciless raids of the pirates begun, the small band of now friends and family fought their way to the shacky safety of space on a former military craft, newly named as the 'AZIZAS WRATH' (Aziza being one of my daughters middle names) - the WRATH coming from a promise that the fall of their home and so many friends shall not go unpunished - the Pirates will pay one day.....

I begun to conceptualize the project in 3 parts - the Crew, photography, gaming.

For the Crew I settled on some 3D prints from the excellent UNIT 9 Patreon. These miniatures are designed for use with a Cyber Punk skirmish game but their future vibe and weaponary lends itself perfectly to Stargrave. 8 of the 10 crew members are from this range. Number 9 is another 3D print of a Dog that I purchased fom My Mini Factory and the Robot is from GW's Balckstone Fortress.

The line up is:

Captain: Veteran
1st Mate: Mystic
Runner
Sentry
Medic
Gun Fighter
Gunner (Robot)
Hacker
Guard Dog
Recruit

I will mainly be gaming Solo or with my children, so I'm not into min/max etc I set up the Crew based upon the background and what I believe will be fun thematically to play with. As the Crew will be trekking across mulitiple landscapes during gameplay, I opted for one I envisioned they would traverse the most - their Ship, so I settled on another sheet from Evergreen made up of small squares which lends itself to the metallic nature of flooring.

Second part was Photograpy, I settled upon the idea that the Crew are aboard their craft and are approaching a planet that they have picked up a distress call from. The vessel, being ex-Military has lots of Planterary records, but oddly enough this planet is listed as 'Unknown'...... having fled the destruction of their home world, they have little in long term supplies and the ship is also picking up readings of Nuclear power source and fresh water supply....... the Crew is preparing to land..... So I settled upon making a photography backdrop that represents a bay area with a large window. This was constructed by using the 'Space Corridor' sets from Warbases in the UK. I expanded them though to be 4 squares wide as the initial 2 squares wide felt too narrow. I added some details in using some Evergreen polystyrene sheets and strips alongside making from scratch a window. The view is a picture from 'Prometheus' printed on Matt Brochure paper.

Thirdly gameplay - I do love the Undead, so for my first dabble into Stargrave we have selected the Q37 backdrop of course!!!! I like my games to be on the creepy side so I may house rule some different types of 'zombies' to make it tense, Sprinting ones, Mutated ones etc, personally I am not a fan of the Soldier Zombie type in the rules so that will not feature. When the Crew land, they will soon discover the horrors that unfolded on this uncharted planet which is home to a research facility..... I will be making a set of corridors plus larger rooms from the Space Corridors sets plus Evergreen Polysytrene, stay tuned further down the line for the construction of the gaming table.....

Enough words for now, here's the Crew assembled and ready for painting!

COMMISIONS OPEN - I CUSTOM KITBASH YOUR MODELS. 40K, STARGRAVE, NECROMUNDA, AoS; FORBIDDEN PSALM

https://withkoji.com/@IsItSheerMadness

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
Re: STARGRAVE - Crew of the 'AZIZAS WRATH'
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 01:49:44 PM »
 :D off to a great start!!!!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 06:15:33 PM »
:D off to a great start!!!!

I‘ll echo that, a great start! Looking forward to seeing where this path takes you.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 08:39:14 PM »
I like my games to be on the creepy side

In space nobody can hear you scream...

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 10:02:23 PM »
Cracking miniatures,and a brilliant storyline. Looking forward to this :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 04:22:59 PM »
Hello again fellow Captains!

An update on the Ship backdrop painting. As outlined in the opening post, the crew escaped their homeworld by indefinitely borrowing a former Military craft..... with that in mind I decided upon more an industrial look for the interior as oppose to the squeaky clean White Enterprise vibe. I base coated the piece using my Airbrush, firstly in Petrol Blue and then in sevral light coats of German Uniform from Vallejo. To weather the piece and give it more of a troop transit feel, I added some wear and tear using Pastels, I do like to use Pan Pastels as the pigments are very fine but very pigmented which makes working with them a joy. Once I had the look I wanted, I firstly sealed the pastels using a few coats of Hairspray and the Matt Varnish. I added in some oil stains with AK Interactives Engine Grime. Here's how it looks:

Stay tuned for the painting of the crew next.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 04:56:16 PM »
A proper workshop or storage section by the look of it!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 06:41:18 AM »
Great work!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 07:11:57 AM »
Brilliant!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2022, 11:15:07 AM »
fantastic modelling.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2022, 06:29:14 PM »
Hello fellow Captains!!

Well, I do aplogize as it's been quite some time since I updated this one! The summer months saw the hobby grind to a halt! Now that autumn is here and the kids are back in School, Stargrave has hit hyperdrive!

The first 6 Crew members have been painted:

Captain: Veteran
Runner
Medic
Gun Fighter
Gunner (Robot)
Guard Dog

The models were painted in acrylics and oil paints. On the Robot Gunner, I wanted a more battle worn look, so used the 'Hairspray' technique to chip away layers paint to represent small arms fire and general wear.

Work has begun on model 7 so stay tuned for more!

Cheers.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2022, 09:57:02 PM »
What a lovely crew of scum and villains to terrorize the gaming tables in a galaxy far away!  lol

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2022, 11:15:27 PM »
Wow,
Really impressive stuff there.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2022, 05:33:13 PM »
Interesting crew and I do like the painting and the photo-base.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2022, 07:12:06 AM »
great paint-jobs and figures.