Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:15:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tips for Taking Pictures of Miniatures with Modern Cell Phones  (Read 3124 times)

Offline ignis-fatuus

• Assistant
So let me preface this post by saying that I do not own any fancy photography equipment. Down the line, I may invest in a decent camera and lens, but at the moment it's out of reach. As I get back into painting I'd like to share my work and process with the community but I've been having issues with the way my pictures are coming out when using the camera(s) built into my cell phone. I have a theory that it has something to do with the color magic my phone's software employs to make photos appear brighter and the color more vibrant. What I've been noticing, however, is that layering and shading effects of the real-life painted miniatures comes out oddly distorted in the photo graphs. Unless it's a trick of the eye, or sloppy painting work on my own behalf, I am wondering if there are any setting that might be used to get a photograph which better captures the painted miniatures.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tips for Taking Pictures of Miniatures with Modern Cell Phones
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 04:24:33 PM »
What make and model of phone is it? Someone with the same model may have more info.

Doug

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 09:36:36 PM »
So let me preface this post by saying that I do not own any fancy photography equipment. Down the line, I may invest in a decent camera and lens, but at the moment it's out of reach. As I get back into painting I'd like to share my work and process with the community but I've been having issues with the way my pictures are coming out when using the camera(s) built into my cell phone. I have a theory that it has something to do with the color magic my phone's software employs to make photos appear brighter and the color more vibrant. What I've been noticing, however, is that layering and shading effects of the real-life painted miniatures comes out oddly distorted in the photo graphs. Unless it's a trick of the eye, or sloppy painting work on my own behalf, I am wondering if there are any setting that might be used to get a photograph which better captures the painted miniatures.

yep, i have had the same issue with my Samsung S10 since an update 6 months ago, it seems the camera software tries to compensate for 'flaws' in the picture and completely flattens all the highlights and shadows on the mini. I haven't found an answer yet, so if you do, please share it!
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 10:11:33 PM »
No photography tips really but I bought one of those little fold out lightboxes for my computer. Really useful for getting a good bit of light on individual or a small group of figures.
For action shots I downloaded snapseed to my phone. This really lets you play about with the pictures. I prefer a sort of oversaturated comic book effect.

Offline ignis-fatuus

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 03:12:08 AM »
What make and model of phone is it? Someone with the same model may have more info.

Doug

Lately I've been using a Samsung S20. After doing a bit of digging I've found that there are other camera apps (Lightroom, etc.) which allow for much finer camera controls. Out of the box the camera app seems to do a lot of color adjustment behind the scenes. I will have to play with different phone apps. So far the adobe apps seem to work well, but I think you need to have an adobe account (I could be wrong in this).

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 04:20:06 PM »
Thanks for the tip on using other camera apps; it never occurred to me that was a possibility, and I've been struggling with my phone cameras for years now.

In another thread somewhere on the forum I remarked that it seems that phone cameras are more and more relying on all kinds of algorithms to produce nice pictures.

Absolutely fine for selfies and pics of the cat, but when taking shots of my miniatures, the software seems to want to separate all layers on my paint jobs, creating jarring lines where the naked eye only sees pretty good blending. Something my old digital cameras never did btw.

So now I'll be looking out for some 3rd party camera apps to fiddle with. Who knows? This might actually lead to something... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 05:05:44 PM »
Bite the bullet and buy a 2nd hand slr. £100 or less will get you a very good camera for taking pictures of miniatures.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2022, 05:25:38 PM »
Bite the bullet and buy a 2nd hand slr. £100 or less will get you a very good camera for taking pictures of miniatures.

I have a very nice Canon SLR that cost considerably more than £100,  but I don't want to haul it out every time I want to snap some toy soldiers...

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2022, 06:13:49 PM »
I have a very nice Canon SLR that cost considerably more than £100,  but I don't want to haul it out every time I want to snap some toy soldiers...

Must be a heavy SLR if you need to haul it ? I can just lift mine up , same as a phone. lol

But hey,whatever floats your boat.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2022, 07:44:21 PM »

Same here. Also the phone camera makes uploading photos to places like LAF so much easier. My various digital cameras never get a look-in when it comes to figures photos. It takes an extra level of preparation before the camera photo hits the internet.

Doug

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2022, 08:43:20 PM »
Same here. Also the phone camera makes uploading photos to places like LAF so much easier. My various digital cameras never get a look-in when it comes to figures photos. It takes an extra level of preparation before the camera photo hits the internet.

Doug

Yep - transfer photo card to laptop - process for size etc, before posting. Most other stuff, I just upload direct from my phone...

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 04:17:35 AM »
I use my phone a lot, I have a good lightbox and backdrop plus lighting to help and use the photo app on my phone. I also use Canva for special effects

cheers
Matt

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2022, 05:07:57 AM »
It's not for serious photography, but I use an inexpensive portable gooseneck LED light for painting and to keep my crap photos from looking orange. :P

Maybe use it alongside others' suggestions?

Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline ignis-fatuus

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2022, 12:47:15 AM »
It's not for serious photography, but I use an inexpensive portable gooseneck LED light for painting and to keep my crap photos from looking orange. :P

Maybe use it alongside others' suggestions?

I've been looking for a good portable light. I travel a LOT for work and end up bringing my miniatures and paints with me. Would you recommend the lamp for travel purposes? I so, can I ask where you picked it up?

On the topic of photography, from what I've encountered so far, yes, a good light really does seem to make a big difference.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2022, 09:00:28 PM »
I've been looking for a good portable light. I travel a LOT for work and end up bringing my miniatures and paints with me. Would you recommend the lamp for travel purposes? I so, can I ask where you picked it up?

On the topic of photography, from what I've encountered so far, yes, a good light really does seem to make a big difference.

I bought these after seeing them recommended here on LAF:

They are very portable and cost about £48 for the pair from Amazon. Having two light sources has advantages as well.

Doug