Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:15:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

Please select all factions you had a usable army of (not just a handful of models).

The Empire
49 (11.2%)
High Elves
29 (6.7%)
Wood Elves
24 (5.5%)
Dark Elves
20 (4.6%)
Dwarves
43 (9.9%)
Chaos (any variety)
45 (10.3%)
Orcs and goblins
59 (13.5%)
Chaos Dwarves
7 (1.6%)
Bretonnia
32 (7.3%)
Undead (any variety)
53 (12.2%)
Ogres
10 (2.3%)
Skaven
24 (5.5%)
Lizardmen
21 (4.8%)
Other (Norse, Tilea, Kislev etc)
20 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Poll: What Warhammer fantasy armies did you collect?  (Read 2633 times)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Re: Poll: What Warhammer fantasy armies did you collect?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2022, 10:10:31 PM »
I had Empire and Orcs and Goblins around 2010. I rebased and/or spruced up Orcs and Goblins  over lockdown actually and they’ve seen a few games of dragon rampant and saga age of magic.

https://youtu.be/oGqGXw1REmw

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2022, 06:21:59 AM »
I collected a Slann army for WFB 3rd edition. I started on a Hig Elf and Orcs & Goblins army for the same, and tried to do an Undead army for 4th edition. After that I gave up and focussed on WH40K.
Hi! I'm Harry. I am a hobby addict; I game sci-fi, fantasy, and historical (including Ancients, Dark Ages, Renaissance, and World War II Manchukuo.)

Please visit my OSR products for sale at www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Offline chickenbane

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2022, 08:53:45 AM »
About 1992 I started collecting skaven and wood elves, also chaos managed to get into my collection, I inherited both Dark Elves and Lizardmen from lapsed gamers. It's only really skaven and wood elves that I have pretty big forces (about 10K each). Just need to finish them.  ::)
Paraquat Welcomes Careful Drivers a sort of narrative blog.

Slag Valley Bullett in the grim darkness of the far future, there is a newspaper.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2022, 01:57:18 PM »
Oh my, that actually was a bit of a list and I just realized I even forgot one ::)

So one more vote for Chaos Warriors; my bad!  :D

The rest are:
Chaos Dwarves
Night Goblins
High Elves
Vampire Counts

And I've been wanting to start an Empire force for ages too, but never got to it...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2022, 03:27:29 PM »
I've voted, but as I worked for GW for quite a while I'm not sure my habits are particularly representative.
(DE, Ogres, Kislev, Empire, Dwarf, O&G,Daemons, Chaos I have at least 2K painted of all these bar Kislev))

I can tell, you that during my time with the company (99-11) the biggest selling plastic troop set was the Dark Elf Warriors.
Which always surprised pretty much everyone.

Chaos and Ogres didnt sell in big volumes but were popular armies because you didn't need many models. The reverse was true for O&G.

IIRC the HE book was usually judged to be the best selling over time (sales obviously peaked on release) which might indicate they were popular.

Althougn the Daemons army was perceived as OP their range actually sold comparatively poorly (especially as the models did "double duty" across both systems) which showed that there wasn't actually all, that much correlation between on table performance and sales. Most people (despite what the tournament minority believe) buy models they like, rather than just the most broken thing.   :)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2022, 01:57:07 AM »
Never did get around to playing an actual tournament but fielded fully painted Brettonian and Skaven armies.  Dabbled with dwarfs but never had a full complete army. Still have quite a few of my ancient Skaven forces around here somewhere.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2022, 10:00:34 AM »
I've voted, but as I worked for GW for quite a while I'm not sure my habits are particularly representative.
(DE, Ogres, Kislev, Empire, Dwarf, O&G,Daemons, Chaos I have at least 2K painted of all these bar Kislev))

I can tell, you that during my time with the company (99-11) the biggest selling plastic troop set was the Dark Elf Warriors.
Which always surprised pretty much everyone.

Chaos and Ogres didnt sell in big volumes but were popular armies because you didn't need many models. The reverse was true for O&G.

IIRC the HE book was usually judged to be the best selling over time (sales obviously peaked on release) which might indicate they were popular.

Althougn the Daemons army was perceived as OP their range actually sold comparatively poorly (especially as the models did "double duty" across both systems) which showed that there wasn't actually all, that much correlation between on table performance and sales. Most people (despite what the tournament minority believe) buy models they like, rather than just the most broken thing.   :)

Thanks for the insider perspective!
The high-selling dark elf plastic set is also surprising when looking at the sample here, as they are almost the least popular army it seems (I think ogres being a more ‘recent’ army naturally score low as many people voting probably dropped out of WFB before their launch.) Perhaps the dark elf plastic set was just really good!
My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2022, 10:02:13 AM »
Of note is that of 101 votes so far, 52 had an orc and goblin army. More than 50%. So about half of us collected orcs and goblins for some period of time. Pretty high proportion!

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2022, 10:15:39 AM »
I collected Orcs & Goblins, and dabbled with Ogre Kingdoms (I dropped around 2008 or so).
Not really surprised about the greenskins popularity, they had some really good miniatures and they felt like the quintessence of Warhammer.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2022, 10:17:19 AM »
Had a sizeable kislev army, sold it for a pittance.  :'(
Love the old undead stuff and just recently bought into Ogres.
Also love the greenskins. Lots of fun minis in there with crazy rules early on.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2022, 10:47:44 AM »
Thanks for the insider perspective!
The high-selling dark elf plastic set is also surprising when looking at the sample here, as they are almost the least popular army it seems (I think ogres being a more ‘recent’ army naturally score low as many people voting probably dropped out of WFB before their launch.) Perhaps the dark elf plastic set was just really good!

At that time it was the *only* DE plastic set and it did both the core troop types (spears and crossbows).

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2022, 11:18:13 AM »
I had about 5000 points of Lizardmen and about 1500 of Empire. I had considered starting a Tomb Kings army after reading The Serpent Queen, but I guess I dodged the bullet on that one.

My mate has a gorgeous Bretonnian army, he still hasn't forgiven geedubs for getting the proverbial lance.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2022, 11:24:27 AM »
Orcs and Goblins are fun and silly and a great force for those who don't mind losing! They are so random and can win or lose to anyone on their day, especially if that wacky animosity starts to really kick in. They also have such a huge range of models and troop types available, they can be tailored to pretty much anything the aspiring general wants from a force, be it hordes, heavy infantry, cavalry, missile troops, artillery, rock hard heroes, beasts, magic users .. etc .. etc ..
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2022, 11:35:15 AM »
Never managed an army

Did have a few Realms of Chaos/Slaves to Darkness Warbands though

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2022, 12:28:49 PM »
I voted by army regardless of whether I actually ever got them painted and on the table, which between v1 and v6 of the rules was most of them at some time.

Chaos was back when you had to swear loyalty to a chaos god and stick to your decision, none of this "undivided" crap. That army was Slaanesh in pastel shades of green, pink, lavender, turquoise and baby blue.
My 2 main armies both topped out at well over 10k points, Vampire Counts (alternate models for all the v5 and v6 Bloodlines) and Gunpowder heavy Dwarves.
My VC are now re-purposed for Gothic Horror skirmish or unit based as an Impetus fantasy army (along with the shamefully still unfinished 3rd/4th ed High Elves) the rest have long gone to eBay or Bring & Buy stalls