Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:19:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 855
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: StuG crew uniform color?  (Read 1485 times)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
StuG crew uniform color?
« on: May 04, 2022, 08:55:22 PM »
Okay.  I know their uniform color is "reed green".  Any ideas from the collecive intellect here at the LAF on what paint color to use?  I'm painting up a few discounts (WA Panzer Lehr fellas) for my StuG.  Thanks in advance for any ideas... :)
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Re: StuG crew uniform color?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 09:03:22 PM »
It depends on the unit using them.  Some panzer units adopted StuGs in lieu of tanks (e.g. 9th & 10th SS in Normandy, whose PzIV battalions were 50% StuG), so in those units you would typically see a lot of black uniforms (with a smattering of reed green or camo).  Radio-controlled (Funklenk) Panzer units (such as the one attached to Panzer-Lehr) were also Panzer Branch, so would typically wear black.  Artillery StuG units, Panzerjaeger units, etc would typically wear reed green and/or camo and not black uniforms, but never say never...

Also remember that Reed Green was a sort of greenish-grey, while Field Grey was a sort of greyish green... ;) In reality there was such a vast variation in dye that the two colours were indistinguishable.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 09:32:43 PM »
I normally use Vallejo Stone Grey (VMC 886 I think) as the base colour for reed green.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 10:33:21 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses!  I already have some black-clad dismounted panzer crew chaps, so I'm good there. 

And I have Vallejo's 886.  Looks to be a shade or 2 off of their Field Grey.  I think I'll give that a whack.  I have the following 28mm WW2 odds and ends all prepped, primed and ready to go:

*  3 dismounted StuG crewman (as I mentioned, WA Panzer Lehr fellas)
     *  A German sniper team (a mix of parts from Warlord's older and newer grenadier, and Blitzkrieg, sprues)
     *  A tripod-based MG42 crew (Artizan Designs)
     *  3 US airborne infantry (an old Battle Honors BAR gunner, and 2 Warlord plastic riflemen)
     *  A US airborne bazooka team (Artizan Designs)
     *  A US airborne 57mm AT gun, with crew (Warlord, with the 3 crew that came with it, and a Battle Honors guy added in)
     *  A US infantry bazooka team (Empress)
     *  4 dismounted USMC tankers (Brigade Games)
     *  4 US leg infantry crew for that 57mm AT gun (Warlord plastic, both older and newer)       

Of course, I'll post piccies here as I paint them up...

Again, thanks for the tips!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 10:38:40 PM »
If you favour the greener side of green-grey, then Vallejo Model Color 70.920. German Uniform is meant to be reed green.

As an aside it's absolutely ideal for Czech gendarmes circa 1938 should you ever go down the rabbit hole of an interwar Czech force.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 10:42:15 PM »
Hmm.  I think I have 920 too.  Methinks I'll look at the 2.

And I'm kinda down a bunch of rabbit holes as it is.  Another one is all I need.... :D

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 12:00:49 AM »
The reed green the summer uniform, stug crew’s amongst many others  wore field grey uniforms,the feldjacke (II). This of course could be all sorts (as you know) of variations of field grey; from an English Uniform colour through to a pigeon grey. To top it all everyone in the Panzer Lehr Division wore the  feldjacke (II) (supposedly) with unique litzen. And as far as I can see during Normandy at least, they did. However after Normandy the Panzer Lehr was a broken formation and pretty much had to recruit from scratch,and I suggest uniformity was lost.

Edit: furthermore tank crews in the Panzer Lehr  could wear the feldjacke (ie black), I have pictures showing both.
Information from German Army Uniforms by Ricardo Recio Cardona and Antonio Gonzalez Sanchez.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 12:09:14 AM by Blackwolf »
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 02:05:17 AM »
Thanks!  I think I'm set then.  I really appreciate everyone's assistance.