Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:00:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Trigan Empire war gaming  (Read 5819 times)

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Trigan Empire war gaming
« on: May 07, 2022, 10:14:04 PM »
So, when I was 7 years old I would go to school on Saturday mornings. My parents had emigrated to Canada, just before my birth, from Germany and I was probably still working on my English. They had an assortment of Look and Learn magazines that I devoured.

Among the more practical, science based articles, what stuck out for me was this most beautiful, crazy, anachronistic comic series I have every seen. I quickly gobbled up every comic. I read them out of sequence, with large chunks missing and I had no clue what the plot was about. I knew there seemed to be plenty of typical Roman style intrigue. (That insight came much later when thinking about the comic).

This comic always stuck with me. Decades later (at age 64) I randomly came across a Don Lawrence illustration on the internet. I instantly knew what I rediscovered from my childhood. It was the Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire. I even learned that it was Look and Learn that I first discovered this.

So the point of all this is: Does anyone make semi appropriate space Romans that would make for suitable Trigans?
"This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass." 

H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Re: Trigan Empire war gaming
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 09:05:56 AM »
I think that kitbashing will be the only way to meet this aesthetic.

Looking at the pages you've shown dark age civilians would make a good start.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 11:22:13 AM »
This looks cool - not a comic I know / knew

Maybe look at the Stargrave kits and even the Great Escape Games cowboys for weapons. Could give some very interesting results - while blending different eras to this the sludge and turnip conversions may give some inspiration of mixing out of period kits.

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 12:07:41 PM »
I don't know the comics, but I wonder if Bronze Age Minis sword-and-planet range might be any interest?

https://bronzeagemin.com/sci-fi/dead-earth-citizens/

(The range contains some scantily-clad ladies, so the link may be NSFW.)

Who were their enemies??

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 12:41:50 PM »
Would the Bolt Action Konflict 47 Italians fit the vibe?

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 05:03:03 PM »
Many years ago I did a Trigan wargame fore based on Airfix Romans and other 1/72 Airfix plastics.  These were the only figures I could afford at the time! 

If I was to try it now then, as others have said, I would go for converted plastic figures though you will probably need to scratch built some weapons.  In 20mm there is now a wide choice (have a look through Plastic Soldier Review).  In 28mm I would again go for plastic kitbashes of Ancient Romans, Greeks, with scifi, fantasy and all sorts of historical sets.   Some of the characters may be from suitable metal ranges (Ancient, pulp, post apoc etc). 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 03:46:44 PM »
I can't help you, but this certainly brings back memories. I only had a handful of Look and Learn magazines, so like you: massive gaps, no idea about the big story. But boy were they mesmerising. Great artwork, gripping snippets of story.

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 03:32:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies gents. It looks like kit bashing may be the way to go. It may come down to Victrix plastic Romans, with 3D printed weapons and head swaps of “Space Romans”.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/um-roman-helmets

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 03:43:48 PM »
Can’t really help with the enquiry on figures, but I too fondly remember the Trigan Empire in Look & Learn, and if you didn’t know, you can in fact buy the entire Trigan Empire series of, what I guess you would now call graphic novels, in three (I think) handsome and IIRC rather expensive hardback volumes. Noticed them a few years ago on Amazon and was sorely tempted…

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 04:50:26 PM »
I agree that kitbashing is going to be your best option - I'm keen to see how you get on tho!

I took delivery of a lovely don lawrence art book the other day, msotly his work on STORM but i agree, his work is prime wargame fodder.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 05:44:14 PM »
Ditto - I bought one of the books, superb artwork, you get sci fi Romans, barbarians, assorted allies (some with green skin), dinosaurs, aliens and even a giant digger robot which goes berserk.
I agree that kit-bashing is the way forward.
Mind you, this would be right up Crooked Dice's alley...  :D

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2022, 12:03:30 PM »
Can’t really help with the enquiry on figures, but I too fondly remember the Trigan Empire in Look & Learn, and if you didn’t know, you can in fact buy the entire Trigan Empire series of, what I guess you would now call graphic novels, in three (I think) handsome and IIRC rather expensive hardback volumes. Noticed them a few years ago on Amazon and was sorely tempted…

Yes I just bought the first three volumes. Vol #4 should be be coming out later this summer.

https://www.amazon.ca/Rise-Fall-Trigan-Empire-IV/dp/1786185644/ref=asc_df_1786185644/?tag=googlemobshop-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459418134380&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15228403449198380736&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000866&hvtargid=pla-1457448176343&psc=1

Offline Aerendar Valandil

• Librarian
    • Amsterdam6Shooters Wargames Club
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2022, 02:16:58 PM »
I know this strip.

I loved the combination of Romans and space, but I must admit the storylines do not bear scrutiny.

I would advise Storm also of Don Lawrence, but with Martin Lodewijk. The universe is comparable, but the stories are better and somewhat weirder.

Still, I love the idea. For 'troops' the WA 'cannon fodder' bodies may help you, perhaps with some headswaps.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2022, 08:02:14 PM »
I would use Greek bodies, with Celtic/german-Legs and Viking/Saxon-heads. Plastic is fantastic for it. Some greenstone and you should have a good result. Remember the old WSS-Article by Captain Blood called „A song of Plastic & cement“? Good advice, right?
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2022, 09:52:31 PM »
I loved the combination of Romans and space, but I must admit the storylines do not bear scrutiny.

I don’t doubt it. I was probably between 7 or 10 years old at the time I found and was impressed with this work. This may be more nostalgia than anything else.

I would advise Storm also of Don Lawrence, but with Martin Lodewijk. The universe is comparable, but the stories are better and somewhat weirder.

Thanks for the recommendation  ;)