Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:30:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686598
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Montrose: First Blood(s) [Jan '23 update]  (Read 15766 times)

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Montrose: First Blood(s) [26 June update]
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2022, 03:11:47 PM »
Yep,they look great 👍

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2022, 06:52:56 PM »
More superb additions.  Alba gu brąth!  8)

Offline Captain Brown

• Assistant
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2022, 04:28:16 PM »
Nice work abu iskander.

Cheers,

CB

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2023, 07:49:15 PM »
Have had this project simmering along, though mostly on the back burner. That, said I received The Captain's latest Bloody releases and am looking forward to adding many of them to my forces; have a number in mind to add to my Forlorns and some character vignettes. Like below.  I've continued my collaboration with my friend Rex and since my last update, he's delivered the rest of the Irish and militia for Montrose's side. So as I now have both forces present at Tippermuir, I'll mostly be adding bits and pieces - status tokens, characters, etc. off and on as games demand.

And a few shots of the troops in action. As I've mentioned before, we modified Very Civile Actions and have been very pleased with the games it's delivered.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2023, 09:54:14 PM »
Superb Ben  :-*

And they make a great command group.

What a collection!

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
Re: Montrose: First Blood(s) [Jan '23 update]
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2023, 07:09:15 AM »
Wow! What great progress on your wonderful collection 👍.  Lovely paint work.  Great to see such a fabulous collection of different manufacturers present in your units.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2023, 07:20:48 AM »
Lovely stuff. Well done.

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2023, 08:38:00 AM »
They look absolutely stunning! The conversions from Bicornes are very effective.

Offline nickdives

• Librarian
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2023, 01:38:31 PM »
Gleaming stuff.

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2023, 06:00:22 PM »
Amazing work and your joint work fits together beautifully.
Can you explain how you use the colonel's bases - you have some with three figures and a flag.
Do they go with specific units ?
Just wonderful.
JM

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2023, 07:42:50 PM »
Thanks all, for the kind words. 

Cuirassier - Happy to explain, please forgive the length of the answer. Got on a bit of a roll once I started writing as I've become in the habit of explaining this all to the players I've introduced to the game here.  In the Very Civile Actions rules set we're using, each unit consists of two elements: the troops and the commander - and each unit is assigned a named commander with 'characteristics'. In my case, having built to the forces present at Tippermuir, I consulted this https://madeinperth.org/battle-of-tippermuir-1-september-1644/ and Buchan's biography of Montrose (great read by the way!) to determine what those characteristics were that seem to have likely been for the historical commander and 2IC of each battalia.

I made markers for each of these and added them to the ones that were already included. In fact, you'll notice in the second to last picture on this page that there is one of those small Colonel markers on top of the unit card to the rear of Tullibardine's regiment with "Cw'. This designates that he's considered a coward and it affects the behavior of the unit. If he's killed, which can happen often enough, the player randomly draws a replacement from the pile.

The colonel's base is matched to a specific unit as well. The base on this page I've matched to the Badenoch militia - shown in progress after the Irish regiments.  They were hastily assembled from the local area and weren't too excited to be there. Hence, the figures themselves are a mish-mash of excess scraggy looking Irish and a couple sets of WL's Clubmen.  There are also a few odds and ends for additional character - like the cuirassier on the distant flank firing from behind the cover of a rock throwing youngster. In this case, I couldn't source a flag for the regiment so went with something generally atmospheric. The figures on the other hand, all from the Captain's range, were intended to give a sense of what kind of unit this was said to have been.  The other regiments are a bit more regular, so in most cases I've been able to match a set of regimental standards from either GMB or Flags of War that more closely match the troops and the colonel's base. Not sure if any of the pics show that very clearly, but that's the general scheme.   

The colonel's base also functions as an activation marker for the unit - it's placed to the front of the troops prior to activation and then moved to the rear of the troops afterwards.  VCA has number of opportunities to model scenic elements that take the place of counters from a book keeping perspective so you'll also see markers casualty and terror (like TFL shock) status (one yellow or red tuft per pip acquired), humiliation, taken prisoner, etc. Thought this would be a great way to elevate the atmospherics on the table top.

Anyway, hope that's not too TLDR, but we rolled our sleeves up developing our fairly subtle modifications, so we put a fair amount of thought into the project from top to bottom ;)

Amazing work and your joint work fits together beautifully.
Can you explain how you use the colonel's bases - you have some with three figures and a flag.
Do they go with specific units ?
Just wonderful.
JM
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 08:04:21 PM by abu iskander »

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2023, 04:31:55 AM »
Beautiful, beautiful work!  I am in awe of the plaids :o.  The action pictures most recently posted are brilliant.

I have been interested in this campaign since I first read Maurice Walsh's novel And No Quarter many years ago.

-Michael

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2023, 02:46:35 PM »
Lovely additions to your collection. :-*
Great mix of figures from different companies.
Wonderful to see Bloody Miniatures in the mix.
Love the Captain's figures.
His Scots are a very nice addition.
I wonder how well his Scots packs are selling?
I have some, (need to paint them).
Thanks for sharing your photos.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2023, 05:35:56 PM »
Great ideas and thanks for the lengthy explanation.
Are these rules still available. I think they are by the same enthusiasts that did red Actions for the Russian Civil War ?
JM

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2023, 05:44:55 PM »
Great stuff  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/