Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:24:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686499
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: All the ECW Horse  (Read 1655 times)

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
All the ECW Horse
« on: May 20, 2022, 08:46:41 AM »

I've just reorganised my ECW horse, most of which will be at Partizan on Sunday for our FK&P "Roundway Down" game. This was the first time they have all been on the table, new units and old. I now have as many cavalry regiments as I do infantry, and I'm going to try to maintain that ratio, going forward (yes I plan to add a few more units, over time).

Most of the minis are lovely Bicornes, with a modest admixture of Renegades and a couple of dozen Redoubts. Many were painted by Shaun McTague, with others painted by Steve Spence and David Imrie. Quite a few are eBay repaints by me.

There's a link to a brief video, below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXPxn5XCN-Y&t=3s

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Re: All the ECW Horse
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 09:24:10 AM »
OMG. That's a simply sensational collection. Out of interest, how long did that take to build up and paint?

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 10:10:06 AM »
Hi Paul, well I started the collection in July 2017, based around a core of six or eight units that David Imrie swapped with me, including perhaps 30 cavalry. I think I had done most of the heavy-lifting on the collection by October 2018, when we ran the large Soggy Bottom game at SELWG. Since then, I don't think I've used them at all until I recently spent three months adding three or four more cavalry regiments and a lot of new artillery, markers and command stands (the 20 regiments of foot and the artillery aren't shown here, I'll get them on the table sometime and take a picture). So the bulk of the work took 18 months, although I would have worked on some other things during that time, only possible because most of the minis were bought fully or partially painted. Most of my work was organising, retouching, finishing, adding flags and basing. My friend Ian helps a lot with the flocking but I must have added well over 2000 tufts to those bases (let alone the infantry bases which are bigger!).

I will hopefully run a big game some time next year with all the units, including another 6 or 7 regiments that are mostly painted but as yet unbased. I'm not sure what to do- I need to pick a battle and work towards it!

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 10:56:50 AM »
Simon: many thanks. I'd have guessed they'd have taken a lot longer to assemble. It's an amazing collection.

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 09:27:11 AM »
Wow!  8) They look awesome, Simon. A really wonderful collection and should warm the cockles of any ECW gamer. 

Great to see you have Richard Atkins represented. Sadly I will not be at Partizan but I hope to hear he is even more successful in your game! 👍

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 11:16:32 AM »
His pistol is cocked and ready! Mind you, Sir Arthur deserves a +1 save. :-)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 06:13:46 PM »
Bloody hell. I thought I had a lot with around 150 mounted 28mm ECW, but I am a mere dabbler in comparison with that lot. Amazing. And heavy I daresay  ;)
Splendid spread Simon. Well done  8)

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 07:12:47 PM »
I met a chap with over 500 horse, today. I shall paint dome more, tonight!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 07:43:21 PM »
Really impressive in terms of quality and quantity  8)

Bloody hell. I thought I had a lot with around 150 mounted 28mm ECW, but I am a mere dabbler in comparison with that lot. Amazing. And heavy I daresay  ;)
Splendid spread Simon. Well done  8)

I met a chap with over 500 horse, today. I shall paint dome more, tonight!

There is always another megalomaniac out there … I’m just disappointed that Simon hasn’t started measuring them in square footage on the tabletop yet  ;)

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2022, 02:22:15 PM »
I saw this game at Partizan on Sunday and it looked magnificent.  Sir Arthur Haselrigge had just been killed as I walked up (that happens a lot with me - sorry, Arfur!), but then the Royalist regiment about to take advantage and charge in, failed (that happens a lot with me, too). 

There was even a little version (6mm?) at one end of the table, which was demonstrating some aspect of the game - sorry, you did tell me but I've forgotten!
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline chema1986

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 03:04:15 PM »
Impressive !! What a wonderful force!

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 03:38:18 PM »
Sir Arthur' heirs will be suing his armourer!

The 6mm game showed Andrew's slightly different interpretation of the deployment for the battle, and that the rules work for any scale.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2022, 09:08:16 AM »
One more question - what paint/colour did you use for the Lobster's sashes.  I'd always understood they were "yellow" for that particular Parliamentarian army - although I realise that the names of colours don't always "travel" well over the centuries!  But the ones on the table looked more orange, which is normally associated with the eastern army, although I appreciate that that could have been the light (I've gone for more of an ochre colour on my 15mm version).  I'm not questioning your choice - I quite liked it, in fact, suitably "ambiguous" to allow Haselrigge to appear in either army (as I believe he actually did) - just curious as to how you achieved it.

Once again, magnificent game - and the table meant no need to bend over (always a selling point at my age!).

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2022, 09:50:31 AM »
Hi Baron, I used the same colour as David Imrie had, because I was matching a dozen he swapped with me.  I don't fret greatly about sash colours- they seem even less certain than ECW flags and uniform colours (neither of which are particularly certain for most units, when known, at all!). I think the GW Averland Sunset may have been the base.

The table- next outing I'll be bringing steps for better reaching the top of the hill in the middle- it was a stretch!

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2022, 10:11:08 AM »
Lovely collection

Dare I ask, how many minis?
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)