Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:39:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Timurid Army, finally finished  (Read 1522 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
15mm Timurid Army, finally finished
« on: May 24, 2022, 08:43:44 PM »
Once again confirming to myself how slowly I paint, I can't remember when I started this army, it was definitely last year, possibly even the year before...

However, I've finally completed my (relatively small) 15mm Timurid Army. Khurasan Miniatures figures, which I have mentioned on other posts I'm a big fan of. In this range the Afghan javelinmen and archers, and the horse archers, in particular were great to paint. Having break-waist figures for the horse archers is also terrific in the amount of variation it offers.

I'm not sure my photography has done much to show the figures off - either for themselves or my painting, as I'm actually rather pleased with how they all came out, but taking pictures with my phone in reasonably poor light probably not the best move.

With apologies for the giant pictures, I can't work out how to make them smaller  lol

Horse Archers

Heavy Cavalry

War Elephants

Afghan Archers

Afghan Javelinmen

There are some other units - Armoured Timurid archers, Tadjiks and some allied generic Mongol archers I added too, but that is probably enough giant photographs...

Based on 40mm square bases, I'm of half a mind to try them with Art de la Guerre, or put two bases together and used them as units with 80mm frontage for To The Strongest.

Opposition I've not quite decided on, I have been thinking about Delhi Sultanate if I can assemble enough suitable figures, or potentially Mamluks for the Timurid moves on Syria and Damascus. Ottomans are an option but the next army to paint for me is Ottoman C16th for my Irregular Wars collection.

Despite the slow, slow progress on painting and the army being pretty much a whim because I liked the look of the figures, definitely a good project to have done.

Of course, now I'm thinking I really need some more horse archers, another couple of elephants, and some generic infantry too, got enough archers so I need to find some suitable other infantry with spears or suchlike, so this army is likely to grow. Slowly.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: 15mm Timurid Army, finally finished
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 08:56:52 PM »
Nicely done  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline elliesdad

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 09:35:08 PM »
Absolutely outstanding.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 03:50:57 AM »
Superb. I love Khurusan figures. I just wish they were more easily available in UK. Shipping and “unknown” import duties have always made me wary of buying them.

Offline Vis Bellica

• Scientist
    • Vis Lardica
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 06:41:01 AM »
Lovely job!

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 05:57:25 PM »
Well done

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 07:03:53 PM »
They look great. Pictures have come out a good size for me.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 07:13:29 PM »
They do the trick-very nice.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2022, 11:16:52 AM »
Thanks all, I really out to get the proper camera out rather than the quick rush job with the phone, but I've never mastered the art of showing the good bits without exposing the flaws in the painting too  lol

This range has lovely figures, I do like the elephants although the howdahs were a pain to assemble and getting the lines on the armour right was a slow process.

Superb. I love Khurusan figures. I just wish they were more easily available in UK. Shipping and “unknown” import duties have always made me wary of buying them.

Yes, the cost at this end is a bit of a pain, but to be honest I just factor in the customs/psot office handling charges etc. when I'm planning what I can order, and I tend to basically wait and make a big order I guess every couple of years of everything I want from a range, more or less. Doesn't reduce the % customs on the value of the parcel, but it does mean only one handling fee as opposed to multiple deliveries. 

On the whole I think the figures are worth the pain, but I can come across as a bit of a commercial for Khurasan as I like them so much!

I have my eye on the Safavid Persian range as the next order, but I have a lot of Ottomans to paint first. Also waiting for the AWI range to be released.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 09:56:49 AM »
Absolutely outstanding.

+1 brilliant painting.

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 01:22:13 PM »
They look great. Superb painting and the basing works really well and looks great as well.

As for games - why not use them for both ADLG and To the Strongest. I use my ancients - which are not as well done as your for both. :)
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2022, 03:34:23 PM »
Lovely work!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper