Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:39:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690937
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Finally finished my 15mm Pirate gametable  (Read 5307 times)

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
Finally finished my 15mm Pirate gametable
« on: May 24, 2010, 12:51:25 AM »
Well, as finished as you ever get. Used Gary Chalk's plans from the Wargames Illustrated series. The nice thing about these buildings is we can also use most of them for Wild West. Comments and criticism welcomed.

Teaser pics:
View from the harbor

Fort

Luckyjoe

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
Re: Finally finished my 15mm Pirate gametable
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 01:26:42 AM »
It's a very nice looking game table Luckyjoe.  Should make for some fun games.  :)

Offline Last Chancer

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 02:04:02 AM »
Great board!! What did you use to make the docks?  I missed the WI tutorial.  :'(

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 02:57:31 AM »
Hi folks, thanks for the kind comments! This terrain board has been a real labor of love and a chance for me and my sons to work together. The majority of the buildings' rooves lift off, though they still need internal finishing work. We plan on using this set-up for Legends of the High Seas in 15mm.

The 2 wooden docks are Lemax Christmas Village items I had lying around. I just took the pilings off one to give different height docks. The other one left full height was already a perfect height to match up against the 1 1/2 inch high foam I used for the terrain board.

The stone pier is a block of the same 1 1/2 inch insulation foam covered with Hirst Arts small brick walls from the small brick mold, with the top surface being a piece of textured "football" cardstock from Hobby Lobby. I thought it made a nice 15mm scale cobblestone. I think it's about $2 for a 12 x 12 inch square sheet, and it seems to be some kind of almost rubberized paper. (Doesn't seem like paper to the touch, but it cuts easily with scissors and is pretty thin. Here's a link if you're interested.
http://www.scrappinstuff.com/store/football-c-23/tpc-football-textured-cardstock-p-8005

That "cobblestone" also features prominently in the village square, Governor's mansion courtyard, and in my fort. Thanks for your interest.

Luckyjoe

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 02:50:46 PM »

Really nice gaming board. Great work 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline hohlinger

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 06:24:34 PM »
Excellent stuff  :-*

... and nearly the same layout as I am planning at the moment ... I own the same magazine  lol

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 01:20:00 AM »
GREAT!    has that "fun" factor.  Realistic, detailed, yet toy like enough, that it just demands envy!

(I mean that as a serious compliment)

;)

I would love to game on that!

And in the right scale to boot!     :)

Nice Fort.  Scratchbuilt?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:21:44 AM by Smokeyrone »
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 02:57:30 AM »
Thanks again folks. I was going for a kind of bright, lighthearted atmosphere and toy-like works fine.  :)

The fort is indeed scratchbuilt. It's loosely based on a star fort design. I used the Hirst Arts Egyptian Tower mold to get the sloped walls for the gun towers and just regular 1" bricks for the straight wall sections. I spackled over the bricks to hide the fact that the HA 1" bricks and Egyptian bricks are way out of scale for the build. Plus it matched the adobe style. The small brick mold supplied the arches for the main gate and sally port. The gun decks of the towers are  scribed balsa and are removable to access the tower interiors. I'm thinking the tower rooms will come in handy for the Rescue scenario in the LOTHS book. It was a pretty quick build but fun.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 03:13:01 AM »
Just fantastic.  Where are you, BTW?

;)

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 06:12:19 PM »
Thanks, Smokey. I alternate between work in Dayton, Ohio most of the week and weekends with the family in Findlay, Ohio.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 06:37:52 PM »
Holy Smokes!

Joe, I was just about to buy my plane ticket for Ohio (The Canes play OSU* on 9/11).

But Shalala (   >:(  ) wrote me and said I need to come up with another THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS to get two tickets to the game!!   >:( >:( >:( >:(

I am trying to make other arraingements for tickets! 

Where do you game?  We can get Scale creep and other Ohio based gamers together and have a game!

:)

Offline mikeygees

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 12:41:47 AM »
very cool

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 02:30:48 AM »
Wow, Smokey. Another 3 grand?  That's rough  :o.

The big game for us around here is OSU vs. Michigan. That used to be the best day to work in the ER. No patients would come in until after the game, so we could watch the game and get paid, and if you were lucky your shift was over before the rush started right after the post-game parties. "Granny's had chest pain for a couple hours now, but they went into overtime."  :)

I basically just game at home now with the kids. We used to have a club in Findlay, and that fell apart, and then the FLGS went T.U. and even the next nearest LGS in Bowling Green (a big college town) closed up. NW Ohio is hard on gaming.

It would be cool to get together for an Ohio game, though. One of these days I'd love to drive down to Cincinnatti to go to the Scale Creep store, too. It looks cool. I wonder what it would be like to go to a store that actually had something besides GW?

Luckyjoe

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 01:30:16 PM »
LOL LuckyJoe.  from what I hear from OSU* fans on message boards,  the ERs are gonna be full of Canes fans   :'(

yes, Joe, 3 grand EXTRA, on top of regular seson ticket price.  :-[

Shame about about the gaming situation up there.  So many good gamers in Ohio, too bad the store went "TU" (I get it) 

Do you remember Ollie Purnell?  The old B-Ball coach at Dayton?  He's a fishing/tennis buddy of mine.  Coaches   Clemson now.

I would love to play your Pirate table some day!  That is just so cool!   

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 04:38:05 PM »
that's a great idea, Bezzo!

And yes, it has the "Major General" style to it, doesn't it?