Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:40:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perilous Island 2: Final Flight  (Read 1603 times)

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
Perilous Island 2: Final Flight
« on: May 31, 2022, 11:09:25 PM »
As promised here is the write up for game 2 of the Perilous Island campaign I have started with my kids. I wasn’t fully ready for this game, I have some unpainted Foreign Legion models that I wanted to get painted up, the Quonset huts are bare plastic etc. but the kids were so excited to play that we made do. It did give me a chance to use my new 1:48 scale Ju52 plane though, so that was fun. Again, we were so caught up in the game that I took limited pictures of the action but what I have is included. My hobby bench is now taken up with figures and items needed for the 3rd scenario so that we can continue our adventures.

The Scorpion Master was able to learn that Lord Darrow has been communicating with his daughter, Lady Elaine, via letters for several years. Travelling across the globe, Lord Darrow worked furiously to gather clues about the ancient, lost city. His last letter, many months ago, mentioned his dear friend, E. J. Demas, in Athens. Determining that to be the best place to continue his quest, the Scorpion Master leads his followers across the ocean.
Our heroes, foiled as they were in their attempt to recue Lady Elaine, were fortunate enough to save her maid. After some probing they too discovered that Athens was frequently mentioned in Lord Darrow’s letters. With no better clues to follow, they set out for Greece.
Unfortunately for both parties, they end up trapped in French North Africa. Increasing unrest in the area has resulted in chaos and curfews, severely limiting the options to leave. Racing to an airfield, our heroes arrive at close of day and find it packed with those trying to flee the unrest. The enormous crowd appears to be on the brink of a riot while soldiers struggle to maintain order. Then comes the biggest surprise of all. Lady Elaine has been spotted in the crowd! Her escape regarded as something of a miracle, Guy is determined to not let this stroke of luck pass by. His luck is not all good however, as familiar green robes have also been spotted at the airfield. With vigilant French soldiers present, open fighting is sure to be even more dangerous.

The plane is making final preparations for takeoff (1). The ticket counter lies behind the tail (2) and a stack of other cargo waits to be loaded (3). Lady Elaine and The Mechanic are lost in the crowd and wait off table on the left.

Determined to succeed this time, Guy sends some of his companions to find Lady Elaine while the rest of the team readies for their hopeful departure. They head to the ticket counter, careful not to draw attention to themselves in the presence of so many armed guards.

After some negotiation Guy is able to procure the necessary tickets. Passing them to Molly, she and Penny leave him to search for Lady Elaine, along with their compatriots. The fading light would require as many eyes as possible looking for their prize.

Molly quickly locates the lucky lady and informs her of their plan to help her escape and find her father. She directs her fellows to make sure the cultists do not interfere. Grabbing Elaine by the hand, the two move as quickly as they can to board.

Meanwhile, the Scorpion Master is also looking for Lady Elaine. Cursing his minions who allowed her to escape, he sends them to find her, or pay dearly for the loss. They spread through the crowd, seeking their former prisoner. The Master himself moves to the unattended cargo and prepares his back up plan. A bomb hidden inside one of the crates should do the trick if his minions fail to stop Elaine from leaving.

His deadly device placed, the Master notices a Mechanic working under one of the plane’s engines. He needs to make sure that his cargo gets loaded onto the place before it leaves and decides that the Mechanic looks like the man to make that happen. He motioned to one of his cultists to bribe the man and tossed a stack of bills to his follower. The clumsy fool dropped the bribe, then tripped over some crates while attempting to pick it up! The Scorpion Master almost howled out loud with rage. He would have to make the fool pay later, there was no time to “educate” him now. Clambering over the pile of boxes in front of him he moved to recover the money himself.

Suddenly from across the field there was a loud crack, like lightning, followed by screams of fear and alarm. One of the cult’s mechanical constructs had discharged is electro-ray, its handler apparently deciding that the wrath of the Scorpion Master if they failed in their task was worse than the potential punishment by the French authorities. The decision would prove costly as not only did the blast of electrical power miss its intended mark, but the soldiers in the area descended quickly, damaging the robotic scorpion and beating its handler into submission.
The initial outburst of violence was enough to encourage other cultists to follow suit however and soon random gunfire could be heard around the field. The soldiers were unable to determine the exact location of these pot shots as all involved did their best to hide their participation and there were no other arrests.

Not to be outdone by the violence of the cultists, Rory and Major Mallory returned fire at the vicious villains. Timing their shots for when the authorities were out of sight, they were able to go undetected, while buying time for Guy and Molly to try and get Lady Elaine on the plane. And try the two heroes did. Unfortunately for them, just as they were about to open the door the plane began to move, taxiing into position for its journey down the runway (Red Herring on the Major Plot Point!!!). They ran after the plane, knowing that this was their last chance to help Lady Darrow. But would they make it?

As the plane began to move, the Scorpion Master bent to retrieve his money from the ground, kicking his fallen minion as he did so. Before he could grab the dough, Finn McCool leapt through the air, snarling and growling, distracting the evil leader from his task. As he wrestled with the enormous hound, the Master shouted to one of his minions to make sure the Mechanic loaded the cargo on the plane before it left. His ally rushed to follow the direction given, grabbing the money from the ground and waving it in the Mechanic’s face. But it was too late!

The pilot decided that he needed to leave now or he never would. The plane began to move down the runway, picking up speed as it went. Guy Steele managed to wrench open the plane door and jump inside, turning around to pull Lady Elaine in behind him. Quickly he did the same for Penny and Molly. His other friends raced alongside the moving vehicle, Guy reaching out and pulling them in one by one. Finally Finn leapt aboard and the door slammed shut behind him, just as the wheels began to leave the ground. This time the Scorpion Master did not hold back and gave vent to his frustrations, his screams echoing across the dusty desert.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 05:13:26 PM by wolfen »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Perilous Island: Final Flight
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 04:41:12 AM »
Sounds like a tense game! The table and figures look good to me, I might not have noticed the unpainted bits I’d you hadn’t mentioned in the write-up. Of course that beautiful (and very large) plane tends to capture attention!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 06:08:25 AM »
Brilliant! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 08:23:29 AM »
Excellent stuff.  Good tables.

Your narratives make me want to play a game or three of Pulp Alley again - it's been a while and it's too good a rule set to let languish for too long.
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 10:08:47 AM »
Another cracking AAR  8) 8)

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 02:16:16 PM »
Very nicely done and an impressive table….!

Doug

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 01:25:28 PM »
Boo Hiss - the Bad Guys lost, what was the Scorpion Master thinking of to let the Good Guys escape with Lady Elaine.

Another excellent storyline even if it didn't go your sons way this time, as Arnie say's "He'll be back"
Cheers

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 03:05:26 PM »
Fascinating, and a good detailed plot that I was not expecting on a rather small table.  :)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2022, 05:33:22 PM »
Well, alrighty then.  That game looks sufficiently cinematic!  Well done, especially with Lady Elaine making her dramatic escape.  Let's all (well, all but Vagabond perhaps... :D) hope that plane gets to its intended destination without any troubles...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2022, 09:21:10 PM »
Well, alrighty then.  That game looks sufficiently cinematic!  Well done, especially with Lady Elaine making her dramatic escape.  Let's all (well, all but Vagabond perhaps... :D) hope that plane gets to its intended destination without any troubles...

I hadn't realised you were such an old romantic, this is the Scorpion Master we're talking about, of course there's going to be trouble.  ;)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2022, 11:40:36 PM »
I hadn't realised you were such an old romantic, this is the Scorpion Master we're talking about, of course there's going to be trouble.  ;)

Who you callin' old?   ;D

Oh, I'm sure The Scorpion Master has, being the delinquent that he is, planned for such a contingency.  We'll have to wait and see what tales of misadventure wolfen regales us with next...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 11:44:18 PM by CapnJim »

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2022, 06:44:24 AM »
Who you callin' old?   ;D

Oh, I'm sure The Scorpion Master has, being the delinquent that he is, planned for such a contingency.  We'll have to wait and see what tales of misadventure wolfen regales us with next...

Thanks gents! Was the Scorpion Master able to make a come back or did our heroes prove victorious once more? Find out for yourselves in the next installment, available at your local forum pulp page now!

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2022, 06:14:49 PM »
Fantastic! I love the story and the figures are inspirational! Clear bases really look great! I gotta get me one of those planes!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper