Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:09:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jacobites using Rebels & Patriots.  (Read 3594 times)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: Jacobites using Rebels & Patriots.
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2022, 01:46:12 AM »
Ah, the skreel of the pipes and the rattle of musketry...the lads must gave had quite the day showing the English how men could fight!  I've more English than Scottish blood in me, but I seem to always root for the Scots (or the Irish, as the case may be)...Well done!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2022, 12:00:10 PM »
Part 2.
 That was the high point for the Jacobites. The tide started to turn. In the centre the shocked redcoats managed to rally a bit and get organised. Weight of disciplined firepower finally broke and routs the Clan Sinclair of Flatpack's and  Clan Chisholm of mine. Here is a pic as the fresh Clan Kerr is in the process of sidestepping the wavering remnants of Clan Chisholm.

The Royal Ecossais lose a morale test and have to pull back. I rally them next turn, but they are basically out of musket range and out of the fight.

Things are hanging in the balance but Flatpack still has a fresh Highland unit and so do I.  I want to take the large artillery piece which is still moving. But Clan Kerr is just out of range to rush it with a Highland charge. The Redcoat gun deploys in the nick of time.
 In a display of either madness or bravery a fresh regiment of Redcoats with the Commander at the head marches onto the field IN COLUMN.

What a target! I cannot believe my luck.
But then the dicegods fail me. One after the other, The Strathbogie Regiment, and both artillery cannon refuse to fire.

On the left Peter's Dragoons finally cross the river and Bob's fresh Highland unit has to turn to face the threat.  We called it a halt right there as Bob and JC had to leave so Peter graciously declared it a Jacobite victory. 

I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2022, 12:15:27 PM »
  There is a bit of a postscript. After JC and Flatpack left Peter and I had a chat and then decided to play out the Dragoon action just to see what would have happened.
The fresh Highland clan do a skirmish action and fire at half effect causing a casualty and some disorder to the advancing Dragoons and then try to make it to the cover of the woods.
But the Dragoons managed to catch them at the edge and there is a fierce melee

The Highlanders against the odds win the melee and the Dragoon commander becomes a casualty!

The dice roll later dictates that he is unhorsed and captured in an ignominious humiliating manner and is ransomed back at a loss of 5 Honour points to the Government.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2022, 02:10:29 PM »
Medium artillery piece Bithel
The cannon is named Ishbel. It was on your force record sheet James.
(It is a tradition in our group of players to pay no attention at all to
information given them about the game. ::))

Great looking game, cracking looking armies and best of all sounded like loads of fun. :)
Thanks, & it was. :)

Nice game, nice miniatures, nice river - what more does one want - except maybe a Jacobite defeat...
I erroneously thought with the Government force being almost double the Jacobites that
it would be a Government victory. I should have studied Falkirk more. lol

I forgot to mention that the 'cloth' we played on was a find by Vodkafan. Lidl's have them
for, I think, about a fiver (£5). A thin artificial turf sheet roughly 3' x 4'.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2022, 02:16:17 PM »
Anyone interested in this period should watch the following documentary - one of the finest documentaries I think I have ever seen - Battle of Culloden.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2022, 02:17:51 PM »
Ah, the skreel of the pipes and the rattle of musketry...the lads must gave had quite the day showing the English how men could fight!  I've more English than Scottish blood in me, but I seem to always root for the Scots (or the Irish, as the case may be)...Well done!

I think that is true of a lot of us.
When Culloden Battlefield opened its new Visitor Centre reenactors were invited.
About 14 turned up as Redcoats, & despite more Scots being on the Government
side in 1746, most in costume were Highlanders. I saw one report that said more
turned out for the Visitor Centre opening than did for Bonney Prince Charlie! lol

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2022, 02:29:06 PM »
Anyone interested in this period should watch the following documentary - one of the finest documentaries I think I have ever seen - Battle of Culloden.

I am old enough to have seen that the first time it was aired.
It is a very good documentary, & I too recommend it.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2022, 02:36:13 PM »
I have always wanted especially after having now seen this documentary a number of times the Battle of Culloden - however, I oddly want to do it with paper miniatures, the likes of "WARGAME THE JACOBITE '45, Paper Soldiers by Andy Callan and Peter Dennis" - I am still searching for a set of rules that could realistically handle this engagement.

Whilst I have played Rebels and Patriots for ACW and AWI and never considered them for anything Jacobite and will give that a try, I do not think they would fit the bill for Culloden...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 02:40:56 PM by Golgotha »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2022, 05:51:03 PM »

Whilst I have played Rebels and Patriots for ACW and AWI and never considered them for anything Jacobite and will give that a try, I do not think they would fit the bill for Culloden...

Only one way to find out! When we started thinking about doing 1745 we thought it would be a small project. But lots of figures came our way through a friend offloading his surplus. We have about half painted so far. When we have done all we will have enough to do a fair representation of Culloden methinks. 

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2022, 06:10:28 PM »
Look forward to seeing you give it a try... Expect an English victory this time  lol

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2022, 08:27:03 PM »
Look forward to seeing you give it a try... Expect an English victory this time  lol

You can expect it, but if I (& my D ones) are involved with the Government (NOT JUST
ENGLISH) army do not hold your breath. lol lol lol

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2022, 06:13:46 PM »
You can expect it, but if I (& my D ones) are involved with the Government (NOT JUST
ENGLISH) army do not hold your breath. lol lol lol

You sound like a guy in my gaming group.  We don't give him a flank anymore... ;)

But well done on all this, particularly since the Jacobites held on for the win  :D!   

Personally, I'm drawn to the Jacobite risings, but in particular Killicrankie.  My wife and I went to Scotland in '08, and she let us visit Stirling Bridge (and associated sites), Bannockburn, Killicrankie, and Culloden.  For reasons having nothing to do with the sites themselves, and likely in part due to such Scottish folk songs such as Bonnie Dundee and The Braes of Killicrackie'o, I'm rather partial to Killicrankie.  Some day, I may even do up the respective armies for the fight, but after going all out on my AWI Highland unit, I'm not sure I'm looking forward to painting all that tartan...we'll see...

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2022, 08:29:04 PM »
I'm not sure I'm looking forward to painting all that tartan..
It is not that difficult. Tartan of this period was not as fixed in its patterns as it
is today. The Clan Tartans are more a Victorian invention, so various check
patterns, some with white gel pen lines, will do fine. What I have done is give
each Clan a limited palette based on their modern Tartan. This links them together
while not being a lot of work.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2022, 12:21:39 AM »
It is not that difficult. Tartan of this period was not as fixed in its patterns as it
is today. The Clan Tartans are more a Victorian invention, so various check
patterns, some with white gel pen lines, will do fine. What I have done is give
each Clan a limited palette based on their modern Tartan. This links them together
while not being a lot of work.

True enough.  If/when I decide to dive into that rabbit hole, it'll take it's rightful place in my long and winding painting queue... ;)

For you more learned types for this period, would 1745 figures work for the 1689 rising?

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2022, 07:31:23 AM »
For you more learned types for this period, would 1745 figures work for the 1689 rising?

It depends just ho picky you want to be.
As far as the Highlanders go I have mixed in ECW figures, & even a renaissance figure or two.
I don't think many of the Government troops for 1745 could be substituted by 1689 figures.
It also depends on scale. The smaller the figure the more you can get away with.
There are some very nice 2mm figures coming onto the market. I have only seen Ancients
so far, but the whole of Culloden could be nicely done with those. No detailed tartans. :D