Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:15:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Early ACW Volunteers with shakos  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Rochejaquelein

• Bookworm
Early ACW Volunteers with shakos
« on: June 03, 2022, 01:37:24 AM »
I was wondering if anyone knew of any manufacturers of early ACW militia units wearing shakos. I know Perry makes some but they're wearing heavy coats that might be a bit too warm looking for what I have planned. I also know about 1st Corps, which is an option, but I'm just seeing what's out there. Preferably something that scales well with Perry so I can have them fight Perry's 1860s British Expeditionary Force.

Thanks!

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
Re: Early ACW Volunteers with shakos
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 02:11:23 AM »
Have you thought of checking out different periods?  Such as War of 1812 militia in shakos, or Mexican American war?  With the correct painting they may pass.

Offline George1863

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 06:17:53 AM »
Dixon supply a range of 'early war militia' figures in shako, I believe including artillery. Size-wise they should fit with Perry but I don't have any to post a pic (mine are Redoubt and Renegade).

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 06:54:20 AM »
Too bad the Perrys didn't make a separate headset. Then just get the plastics put the heads on them.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Extrabio1947

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 12:09:22 AM »
They will take some tweaking, but you may want to look at the Perry British Intervention range, especially the figures in the 1855 shako.

Offline Rochejaquelein

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 01:13:46 AM »
Dixon supply a range of 'early war militia' figures in shako, I believe including artillery. Size-wise they should fit with Perry but I don't have any to post a pic (mine are Redoubt and Renegade).
By the looks of it, Dixon looks pretty comprehensive, but their site says that their ACW range is 25mm, which might be a bit too noticeable with Perry's 28mm figures. Anyone have both manufacturers?

Have you thought of checking out different periods?  Such as War of 1812 militia in shakos, or Mexican American war?  With the correct painting they may pass.
Mexicans might work, nice point.

They will take some tweaking, but you may want to look at the Perry British Intervention range, especially the figures in the 1855 shako.
Its an option, but my kitbashing skills leave much to be desired.

Offline George1863

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 04:51:02 PM »
I agree. Dixon will not match with Perry 28mm plastics. I have knocked around a long while and never in plastic. When you mentioned 'Perry' my brain automatically translated that as 'Foundry', rather than the brothers later projects. Dixon and Foundry is a workable mix. Ironically, the ranges of the '80s tended to have slightly large heads, in reaction to the very angular heads of the manufacturers of the '60s and '70s. I would guess that a Dixon shakoed head in 25mm would match a Perry 28mm plastic body; and if you replaced the Dixon lead heads in plastic 28mm, you might also have acceptable miniatures. Just a thought.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 08:38:31 PM »
Hi
I imagine that ACW shakos are similar to European ones same period. In that case you could have a try with separated neapolitan army shako heads (around 1860) recently produced by the Italian brand Shako64..they are sold in blister of 4 and with different options such as covered, uncovered, with chevrons ecc..
By the way, being a similar period, it’s also possible that you could use the very full figures of shako headed Neapolitans in tunic or  short jackets or even the headless garibaldini provided with Neapolitan shako of their range as ACW volunteers with only an appropriate paint job ..but I cannot help anymore on uniforms as ACW is not my cup of tea.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 09:27:03 PM by italwars »

Offline Rochejaquelein

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 01:54:41 AM »
Hi
I imagine that ACW shakos are similar to European ones same period. In that case you could have a try with separated neapolitan army shako heads (around 1860) recently produced by the Italian brand Shako64..they are sold in blister of 4 and with different options such as covered, uncovered, with chevrons ecc..
By the way, being a similar period, it’s also possible that you could use the very full figures of shako headed Neapolitans in tunic or  short jackets or even the headless garibaldini provided with Neapolitan shako of their range as ACW volunteers with only an appropriate paint job ..but I cannot help anymore on uniforms as ACW is not my cup of tea.
Those look like they would be perfect! And given that I would use them for a volunteer militia unit, I don't think I would have to do much with conversions if I decided to get the whole model. I'm thinking the Bourbon chasseurs in frock coats and uncovered shakos look like the best fit.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 09:39:26 AM »

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 10:24:45 AM »
Yes they are very useful..great  choice of separated heads and backpacks for 19 c. armies..I used garibaldini Kepis for converting ACW plastic artillery men from Perry to make various French colonial spare men /engineers ..and same kepis to transform Perry ACW Zouaves into Pontifical Zouaves.