Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:20:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690646
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestions for my first Ancients Ruleset  (Read 2530 times)

Offline MGH

• Scientist
Re: Suggestions for my first Ancients Ruleset
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2022, 03:46:32 PM »
Everyone has their own tastes and good arguments can be made for most sets of rules, but our local group does To the Strongest. I've played a lot of ancients rules but TTS is the most fun set IMHO.

Good luck!

Offline gldnbear93

• Lurker
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2022, 05:09:17 PM »
Wow!

Thank you all for your input, advice and recommendations!

It seems DBA provides a pretty solid foundation for rules, basing, and army lists. I have ordered and received a copy of it. Fifteen or so pages of rules, twice that of diagrams and then reams of army lists. Getting a couple games played in an evening is a draw (each player plays a side then we switch).

The next step looks like ADLG or To the Strongest. I subscribed to Madaxeman's podcast and youtube channel to get some more ADLG. I am not attracted to the grid system of To the Strongest, but if it is straightforward to explain and play and looks great on the table maybe it deserves some more investigation on my part. I will have to come to grips with the difference in general of the role of terrain in a larger battle game vs the skirmishes. I do have the rules for Men of Bronze and Wars of the Republic (but I don't have any Romans as of yet). I will most likely build a few warbands for Men of Bronze at some point.

As far as what is played around here; I'm in Rhode Island and Ancients is not on the game map here. I would be the person drumming up interest. That is one more reason why some table presence is important. My FLGS is remodeling and the owner has plans to restart a night dedicated to minis games (its mostly 40K and some Bolt Action-Covid wreaked havoc on his business and the planned gaming days). I usually bring a couple tables worth of BA to set up so I can play and teach folks who drop in and show interest on regular days.

Once again, thanks to everyone for their contributions to my quest. I really do appreciate them!

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2022, 06:43:29 PM »
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2022, 08:03:25 PM »
Yeah good luck and you may find that ADLG and Too the Strongest are not mutually incompatible IMO.

ADLG is a great ' bigger version' of DBA and may aspects you will find quite similar - with some differences of course. It works great as a competitive 1 vs 1 game though with lots of interest and tactical items all the ways through from the terrain layout and army deployment all the way through the game etc. It 2 vs 2 works with the right sized table/forces but that's really just the same as 1 vs 1 but 2 per side.

For a large multi-player fast moving game it struggles (as do many rules of that store). That's not it's strong point.

But that's where Too the Strongest really shines. When having a mixed group to play a game in an eve this (or Hail
 Caesar) is the rules set to use IMO. It's a different style of game then. Less about the terrain set up tactics etc but more general pushing figs around and seeing if the troops do what you want them to do etc.

So sounds like you are set up. :)
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/