Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 11:52:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697730
  • Total Topics: 118855
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hammer's building thread  (Read 22012 times)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Re: Hammer's building thread
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2009, 08:13:56 AM »
I would have thought that they were plain boxes with a name on

1920's

Keith

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2009, 08:19:03 AM »
I would have thought that they were plain boxes with a name on

1920's

Keith

Great images. It's a Ford, innit? Thanks. The devil is in the details, as I am  sure you know. The paintjob aside, little things like where the grips are and metal reinforcements etc. makes all the difference if you get it approximately right.

former user

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2009, 08:24:44 AM »
by beer crates You mean the boxes in which the bottles were carried?

I have an old one at home

height of the bottles, reinforced corners inside, horizontal boards outside, with spaces inbetween, standard sizes for stapleing, open top
sometimes spacers inside, sometimes not, depending on company
don't know about grips oir metal reinforcements, what I've seen so far is none

rough finish, very dirty

the bottle sizes were not standard for all companies, but somethin between 1l and 1pt should be OK

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2009, 08:25:54 AM »
Thanks. An image would be great, if possible.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2009, 08:31:28 AM »
Some would also be dovetailed & wired as below

Keith

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2009, 08:33:23 AM »
Some would also be dovetailed & wired as below

Keith

Great! Thanks! Unpainted with perhaps a, what do you called it?, branded logo on it (burnt into the wood with a branding iron)?
Not to send anyone out on a mission, but there are images you know of where you get a sense of proportions. Next to a bottle or a person, for ex.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 08:37:02 AM by Hammers »

former user

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2009, 08:55:59 AM »
this is of course a very elaborate version
never seen it in this context before

bottles varies a lot, were in general somehow squatter than today
look at 1 l wine bottles for size
glass was very thick, like for champagne bottles, with this typical ceramic wire fastened cork, at least in germany
but You are not bound to anything, since there were no standards

better decide on a brand still produced today and check out their HP
the breweries all have some retro display for tradition

I checked this out for different reasons some time ago, but the change from home brew to industrial production turned gradually around the start of 19th C, but most of the production was still delivered in barrels, this might be another idea to go with
I don't know if Your beer is to be consumed by the circus staff or sold to spectators, but keep in mind that public alcohol consumption was very different in the past, being exclusively confined to special locations or at home.

I don't think beer would have been sold with a circus show, and the circus staff would almost certainly have brewed their own, all for very quick consumption. Beer turns bad very quick.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2009, 09:07:46 AM »
Samual Smiths Brewery in Tadcaster is one that i Know of, They started in the 1750' i think.

Keith

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2009, 09:17:29 AM »
Just thought there's John smiths in Tad as well & they are about as old & I'm sure they took over WM Youngers & a load of others that are old.

Keith

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2009, 06:00:39 PM »
Great! Thanks! Unpainted with perhaps a, what do you called it?, branded logo on it (burnt into the wood with a branding iron)?

Exactly right. A branding iron was easier and quicker than painting for a quick logo on a wooden crate. Almost all of industry (at least in the US) used brands for their boxes and crates from the 1890's to the 1950's, when machine assisted painting became commonplace. My grandfather had a brand from a munitions plant from 1917 or so. Big twohanded beast, said "US Army" and I don't recall what else - he said it was to use on boxes of ammo for artillery. Imagine my disgust when about ten years ago at a family function, I was told that one of the cousins had sold it for scrap metal - and got about $5 because it was good quality iron. Idiot.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2009, 09:00:35 AM »
Until his retirement in the 1980's my grandfather used to run a pub. In his cellar he had a couple of beer crates with a 1924 stamp on them. I remember they fascinated me as a kid, I was sad like that  ;). Anyway, they looked very much like the pic below and held the pint beer bottles, similar to the Newcastle Brown Ale bottles. The bottles were a snug fit so hopefully that will give you an idea of the scale.

Don't!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2009, 09:06:04 AM »
Until his retirement in the 1980's my grandfather used to run a pub. In his cellar he had a couple of beer crates with a 1924 stamp on them. I remember they fascinated me as a kid, I was sad like that  ;). Anyway, they looked very much like the pic below and held the pint beer bottles, similar to the Newcastle Brown Ale bottles. The bottles were a snug fit so hopefully that will give you an idea of the scale.

That is brilliant, TC. Thank you very much!

Interesting to see there's a grating in it to. Not that I will need to model them but are they iron bars?

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2009, 09:23:32 AM »
Thick wire. Shame I only just came across this discussion, my father was a director of a drinks company when I was a kid.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2009, 12:29:46 PM »
Although the truck carrying "Toby 'Green' Knight's Hootchie-Kootchie Burlesque" is almost completed with a beer crate cat walk and all. Got a few girls with no encumbering morals who will strut their stuff on the stage. I am however starting to feel it was a mistake to get myself distracted from my NWF project to this.  I am having a serious build up of supplier distrust and I have added three companies to my personal shit list. Out of the four trucks I ordered to use as platforms almost a month ago none has arrived (Tamiya 1/48 British Light Utility Car from Moduni, two Blue Moon stake trucks from Old Glory UK and a Sloppy Jalopy Ford AA stake truck). I am no good at dealing with frustrations like this, takes the fun out of it. I have plans for another scratchbuilt vardo and will use a Company B  A-Ford chassis for a 'Prof. Witchheimer, Mesmerist - the Toast of Tashkent!' which I at least hope I'll be able to complete with the scares time a have at my hands.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2009, 02:05:14 PM »
Hammers, would these be of any use to you?

They're toys so not quite in scale but they're usable for 28mm. I have a bunch of slightly different ones without the beds so they could be given whatever back was necessary. If you think they might be useful I'll grab one out of storage and take some pics. Then you can make me an offer and tell me how many you want :D
So many projects..... so little time.......