Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:00:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690843
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Tannenberg 1410 - Swordpoint  (Read 1510 times)

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
Battle of Tannenberg 1410 - Swordpoint
« on: June 13, 2022, 02:48:34 PM »
This weekend I was in deepest, darkest, North Devon for an annual gathering with friends, recently postponed in the last couple of years, to recreate the Battle of Tannenberg as the Teutonic Brotherhood and allies faced off against the Polish-Lithuanian Alliance.

Much fun was had playing on a large table groaning under the weight of metal and plastic as our two armies went at it, using the rules 'Swordpoint' to moderate play.

If you would like to know more then just follow the link to JJ's

https://jjwargames.blogspot.com/2022/06/the-first-battle-of-tannenberg-or.html

JJ
Often it is better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all possible doubt.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Offline MGH

• Scientist
Re: Battle of Tannenberg 1410 - Swordpoint
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 04:18:57 PM »
Wow, quite the struggle. Very impressive looking game, the sort of game I would have loved to have been a part of.

Offline Mesh

• Student
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 05:40:56 PM »
Great batrep and marvelous looking table.

Offline crafty

• Librarian
  • Slapdash
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 10:45:24 PM »
Excellent work. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I really like the chapter by chapter way you've organised the write up, with those coloured book-plate style images...much like those old leather bound books. Just as appealing are those beautifully painted figures.
This Slap-Dash Life
@Mcslapdash@mastodon.social

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 06:40:40 AM »
Wonderful stuff!  :-* :-* :-*

Great to see Swordpoint being played on such a large scale and I can understand why the momentum tokens "thing" was a bit of an issue when it came to remembering who had what!  :)

BTW, Sadly too late for your game but Testudo miniatures are going to be releasing their Tannenberg range again soon!

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 07:39:34 AM »
Hi Chaps,
Thanks for your comments, and glad you enjoyed the read as its always a challenge to interpret the pictures from a whole days play and then try to make a coherent picture out of all of them.

I know the chaps who did most of the heavy lifting bringing the game to the table were pleased with the final thing as the two year delay had pros and cons with that regard, but I guess the main pros was at least several playtest games at our club were enabled beforehand to allow this really bigger effort to flow much better than it might otherwise have done and the time allowed to get a very extensive order of battle pulled together.

As mentioned, this theme from the medieval period is not one I would normally be seen playing, but I really enjoyed the game and only my second go with Swordpoint revealed a very playable set of rules with a rather nice USP in the spoofing mechanism with the impulse chits.

Cheers
JJ 

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 11:57:25 AM »
Wonderful stuff!  :-* :-* :-*

Great to see Swordpoint being played on such a large scale and I can understand why the momentum tokens "thing" was a bit of an issue when it came to remembering who had what!  :)

BTW, Sadly too late for your game but Testudo miniatures are going to be releasing their Tannenberg range again soon!

Atheling,

make sure you tell everyone if this happens! My biggest regret was not accepting a job lot of their figures, then finding out the company had closed! Their figures were excellent and better represented the eastern variations in armour, especially helmet style than just using the Perry Agincourt range.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 01:16:50 PM »
Atheling,

make sure you tell everyone if this happens! My biggest regret was not accepting a job lot of their figures, then finding out the company had closed! Their figures were excellent and better represented the eastern variations in armour, especially helmet style than just using the Perry Agincourt range.

I will do John.