Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:59:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Soldiers Of Napoleon  (Read 5000 times)

Offline Greystreak

• Librarian
  • Old Age + Guile
Re: Soldiers Of Napoleon
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2022, 12:32:16 PM »
Just to correct/clarify Tom McC's statement about 'pips':  when an Action Card is played on a brigade commander for 'Orders', under a single Order to a unit, an infantry battalion with deployed skirmishers can be given a 'Cautious Advance' Order, which enables it to make a half move and still issue Skirmisher Fire.  More importantly, more than one Action Card can be played for Orders on a unit consecutively within the same game turn, albeit at the 'cost' of incurring +1 Disruption . . . so it's all about command decision trade-offs, rather than 'constraints'.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2022, 02:31:07 PM »
Thanks, Greystreak.

These rules keep sounding better and better. Can't wait for my set to arrive.

The group of 'Lads' I play with on a weekly basis (The Ilkley Lads) love games where it's the 'in turn decision points' that decide the issue, rather than games that are simply resolved by a series of combat tables, measurement and dice rolling. Indeed, outside of the decision points in a game most things are merely deemed as a necessary evil.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2022, 01:11:55 PM »
Got my copy and spent most of yesterday reading it. I've just done a first thoughts review on my blog. Much is about the concerns I had before I read them, concerns now much relieved.

http://olicanalad.blogspot.com/2022/07/soldiers-of-napoleon-first-read-through.html

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2022, 04:55:47 PM »

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2022, 09:54:58 PM »
These rules sound interesting as I enjoy playing both Longstreet and Command & Colours (Maurice card use I’d class differently as they don’t ‘drive’ actions) so checked Gripping Beasts site but at £25 shipping to Australia it’s a no go, must be a VERY heavy book (‘banded’ shipping rates by value rather than weight are an easy way to gouge buyers)…look forward to hearing how they play and getting a second hand copy in the future!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2022, 11:34:25 PM »
Got my copy and spent most of yesterday reading it. I've just done a first thoughts review on my blog. Much is about the concerns I had before I read them, concerns now much relieved.

http://olicanalad.blogspot.com/2022/07/soldiers-of-napoleon-first-read-through.html

Thanks indeed, and I like the way you write your reviews. Longstreet is exactly the thing this reminds me of. While I greatly enjoy that on a theoretical level, I find that in terms of playing it puts this barrier of the hands of card between me and the game. I'm a-okay with card activation, but I'm not hugely into holding a hand of cards in miniature wargaming. I love the C&C games as much as the next guy, but they keep it very simple and indeed it's not a miniatures game.

How would you say does the importance of studying the cards in your hand / making decisions soley based on how/when/why to play a certain card vs. doing stuff on the table compare to Longstreet? In Longstreet the hand of cards is the central thing since basically all your options (activation, events, losses, etc.) are based on these cards, and I find that this might be a bit too much for me.

Offline gorillacrab

• Librarian
  • Horse and Musket buff
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2022, 05:46:32 AM »
Captain Darling, I ordered the rules through North Star and the shipping was somewhat cheaper. Perhaps you can find an alternative supplier - shipping costs really are becoming a bane for gamers and everyone else.
Prof Challenger, I presume?

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2022, 06:57:42 AM »
Thanks for the tip Gorillacrab, £10 vs £25 big saving 🙂….

Offline TomMcC

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2022, 01:16:31 PM »
Thanks for comments and clarifications, Greystreak.

I forgot about the skirmish ability with cautious advance when I posted my first quick response. It's one tactic to keep in mind and use. 

In our first couple of games, we were shy of playing consecutive order cards on the one brigade in one turn. That might change as we play some more, but the extra cost of disruption made us cautious.

We've not played recently, as too many other games to play and real life stuff happening, but we're looking forward to returning to the game. 

cheers,
Tom 

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2022, 03:07:19 PM »
In a typical three brigade game (with five Action Cards) units of one brigade can still act (fire/ move/ charge) three times in a turn without disruption, providing you alternate by ordering one or both of the other brigades in between and the alternately played cards are not used as rally or event. I also noted that it's only ordered units that suffer disruption for consecutive card play, not every unit in the brigade.

I had to read that section several times before I got it. The rule is very subtle, elegantly complex, and I like it. If it's anything like games of Piquet, opening different combat zones by playing some of your cards there to distract the enemy from where he wants to play his cards will probably be the key to good game play: This set of rules is definitely about playing a game.

The main thing I'm presently worried about is the move rate. Infantry moving 4" line /6" att. col / 8" column doesn't sound like a lot. Moving something 4" hardly seems worth the effort: in most of the games we play here, line usually moves 9", att. col. 12", so 4" and 6" will feel like snail's pace. The table here is a 12 x 6 - not what the author had in mind! However, simply changing the length of a pace will mean ridiculously long musketry and canister ranges - I bet it comes down to the D6 charge reach bonus in the end.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 07:24:26 AM by olicana »

Offline gorillacrab

• Librarian
  • Horse and Musket buff
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2022, 04:54:24 PM »
Olicana, as for your concern about movement rates for troops in line. I always treat Rule Books as Recipe Books, in that you can tweak recipes for your own taste once you have tried them. In other words sensible variants for your own games should be encouraged.
There are some players who treat rule books like a bible and never change a thing, but I love to make changes where they make sense for our preferences and I encourages others to do the same.
Finally, it will be interesting to read what you decide to do.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2022, 06:35:14 PM »
You really don't know who you are talking to. LOL.

Players here insist on a Specials Board clearly defining what rules have changed day to day (sometimes mid session!).

Players in my house never refer to rules. It's more like a buffet or S'moregas board. Sometimes things are available, new things appear, or sold out! Sometimes things get really spicy.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 06:54:02 PM by olicana »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2022, 06:59:03 PM »

Players here insist on a Specials Board clearly defining what rules have changed day to day (sometimes mid session!).

Players in my house never refer to rules. It's more like a buffet or S'moregas board. Sometimes things are available, new things appear, or sold out! Sometimes things get really spicy.

I'm reminded of Pirates of the Caribbean.

'Theyze not rules...more like guidelines'  lol

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2022, 12:11:53 AM »
It should remind players of Maurice... as it was introducing Woz to Maurice that started his brain going and the 'Soldiers of...' series.

I'm just playtesting the Peninsular War lists at the moment. He is working on earlier coalition lists at present.

Its all distracting me from working on Soldiers of Agincourt.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2022, 08:52:44 AM »
I'm just playtesting the Peninsular War lists at the moment.

Oooh goody goody!  I look forward to those. 8)