Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:08:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Miniature from a piece of 90's GW art (Undead/White dwarf cover)  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
This art work has always really stood out to me and recently I've been wondering if a matching model fits. I suspect it does or someone has made a 3D print of it. Does any one know of it or something similar?

Offline Terry Deathstrike

• Assistant
    • Samurai Redundancy Package
Re: Miniature from a piece of 90's GW art (Undead/White dwarf cover)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 06:24:29 PM »
Avatars of War do these two in STL:

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 01:04:01 AM »
Always loved that piece of art - and great that Avatars of War does some.  Might have to look into one myself.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 10:47:51 AM »
I can't help your quest but that artwork (and specifically that white dwarf) is what got me into wargaming when I were a lad  :-* I don't think there's any better undead-related artwork out there, tbh

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 01:16:35 AM »
That time period for Mark Gibbons was my favourite GW art era, full stop.  His work was paramount in all of the 2nd edition codices, army books, Warhammer Quest, Necromunda, etc.

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 12:48:42 AM »
Avatars of War do these two in STL:

Really love Avatars of war's stuff, got a few of their orcs printer and painted up. Really good prices for that classic oldhammer style I enjoy. Unforntunately I'm looking for a close match to the wight in the picture. Billowing skirt (think he's Scottish?) and all.

I can't help your quest but that artwork (and specifically that white dwarf) is what got me into wargaming when I were a lad  :-* I don't think there's any better undead-related artwork out there, tbh

Wasn't far off my first. When I got rid of all my WDs (Internet is much less storage space and has any articles I want to look up) that's one of the very few I kept. I still flick through it today and pine for the now non-existence chestnut ink to follow that skeleton tutorial. Many claim to be the same but none are quite there.. Maybe I should try Army painter's new hardened leather speed paint and see how that matches up to the now mythical stain..

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 09:57:11 AM »
I painted my skeletons to a simplified version of that scheme and I stand by them to this day, even though they're the work of teenage me and a lot of people think they're too "white" (I like the contrast).

A note of caution ref the Army Painter speedpaints - they reactivate like mad. There are varied reports on the internet with some people not having that problem at all but I've found that even just brushing varnish onto minis painted with speedpaint causes reactivation and the colours start running together. However, if not layering them, they are a pleasure to use.

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 12:46:46 PM »
I painted my skeletons to a simplified version of that scheme and I stand by them to this day, even though they're the work of teenage me and a lot of people think they're too "white" (I like the contrast).

A note of caution ref the Army Painter speedpaints - they reactivate like mad. There are varied reports on the internet with some people not having that problem at all but I've found that even just brushing varnish onto minis painted with speedpaint causes reactivation and the colours start running together. However, if not layering them, they are a pleasure to use.
You didn't do all 50 steps!?! I followed it as closely as I could a few years back and had fun doing it. I was going to do a full army but lost track of them in the project shuffle and I'll likely be doing them red based on Diablo 2's burning dead when I get back to them.

I've been working with speed paints since they came out and played around with the reactivation. It's not consistent between colours but I've found it can be quite useful like in this Uruk hai I painted this week. The sand golem all over worked well as a base for the flesh and reactivating a little on the first coat gave me a pretty decent blend considering it took me 25 minutes to paint the whole model. It's not going to win any awards but it worked out splendidly for what I wanted in the time frame I had. Now I have to get used to normal painting again... except for black. I've not found a better black than speedpaint grim black over uniform grey yet. It's just straight black not a bit blue or a bit green and that's really useful to have.

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 02:09:56 PM »
I think I tried all the steps to start with but concluded that a lot of the highlighting up on the bones was redundant (either at my skill level, or perhaps arguably in general given the size of the bones and the hordey nature of the army...)

That uruk looks great! I see what you mean about blending, if one knows its going to reactivate it could be quite handy. I've not worked out which colours reactive the most yet. I've only got the small starter set. The orange, yellow, and I think the skin tones all reactivate badly for me. Having orange hair run onto the skin when varnishing is... not ideal  lol
But as you say, really handy paints for quick models and I've also not done a lot of 'normal' painting for quite a while as a result. I've just been knocking out quick villager NPC models - they don't need to be 'good', just done.