Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:23:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Adding lightweight texture to Hexon tiles (aka Show Me Your Hexon!)  (Read 472 times)

Offline Evil Dave

• Scientist
I recently came into some brown Hexon tiles:

Has anyone added texture to these or flocked them yourself? If so, what did you use? Any regrets?

I've thought about grout but that seems brittle. Sand too but that seems heavy and will soak up a ton a paint. At the moment, I'm considering dusting them with spray primer/paint enough times that I get some texture. Then washing/drybrush and selectively flocking.

I'd love to see what people have done with these.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Adding lightweight texture to Hexon tiles (aka Show Me Your Hexon!)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 09:34:44 AM »
I flocked a box of these a few years ago.

I just went with PVA glue and the Kallistra flocks. The main colour was the darker Marsh Green, with the lighter Spring Meadow for variety. I didn't texture or pre-paint the plastic.

I washed the tiles before starting and used full strength PVA. Despite that, the tiles were slightly hydrophobic in places. I sealed them after flocking with watered down PVA sprayed through one of those travel mister bottles.

It looks okay - not as good as the originals - but worked well enough. If I was to buy any more, however, I'd get the pre-flocked tiles. Having used the Kallistra flocks I shouldn't have any colour matching problems :)

There are a couple of regrets

1. PVA doesn't really have a smell, but if you have a dining room table covered in it, you start to notice it :-[

2. Having spent a couple of weekends with the dining room table and couch covered in tiles I was given a 6'x4' mat about a month later for Christmas ;D

I've never used them for a game. The one thing that worried me was clipping the tiles together, but I don't know if that was justified or not.

If you can find it, "Making Terrain and Buildings for Historical Wargames" by Timothy Hall and Jonathan Sutherland has quite a few pages about the terrain, including building custom bits.