Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:04:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686467
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Civilians for Stargrave?  (Read 5710 times)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Civilians for Stargrave?
« on: August 03, 2022, 12:20:49 PM »
Here’s a copy of two posts I’ve made on the Stargrave - Official Players' Page on FB. As I didn’t get the replies I was hoping for, I decided to post them here on LAF.

I know that the Merc II box is coming, it was officially announced since I post my first comment. What I would really like to know is about civilian figures and if that would be a useful set for Stargrave players.

Original posts on FB;
Over the last few months, I’ve slowly assembled the figures from the Mercenaries box and, just now, realise that it was actually written Mercenaries I on the sprues. Is a second mercenaries set planed? Also, I don’t know if it would be a viable option, but what about a civilian boxed set? It could be made of half bodies with choice of standing or sitting legs, separated torsos and heads (male and female, humans and aliens), figures could be done with opened hands with a choice of tools, weapons, sci-fi gizmo, etc.

I was asking about civilians because I would like to add some figures to my collection that would be more like terrain/diorama elements. From what I understand from the rules, you don’t need more than 10 figures per side to play a “normal” game. With all the available boxes so far and the kit bashing I’ve done, I think I have around 100 figures or so…
That was the basis for my request for a civilian set.

Cheers! 8)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 12:22:59 PM by Calimero »
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
Re: Civilians for Stargrave?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 12:50:09 PM »
You can make some civilians with the crew II sprues (suitcase, arms without weapons) or mixing it with other sprues (that what I've done). Alas, no sitting ones!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 01:10:50 PM »
Colony-87 from Crooked Dice is a good source for civilians. Hasslefree has some that work, as does Infinity (although they can be very tall).

Most of the rest of mine seem to be by companies that I don't think exist anymore, which is a shame.

Zombiesmith for alien civilians, probably something from CP models as well.

However, if they produce a civilians sprue, or even just a sprue of arms with bags and tricorder type things), I will be very happy

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 01:44:00 PM »
... However, if they produce a civilians sprue, or even just a sprue of arms with bags and tricorder type things), I will be very happy

Yes, that would be nice… As I’m more of a figure’s painter/collector than a true wargamer, I like to have a lot a variety in my collection.

I think I have some unarmed aliens (from Reaper) somewhere… I also have a small numbers of Greys from CP models and Copplestone that are just standing, doing nothing ;)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 03:04:55 PM »
I would love to see a civilian box set for Stargrave.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 04:25:33 PM »
The existing Crew sets are a good start for civilians as long as you can find enough arms that aren’t holding weapons. A dedicated civilian set or parts sprue would be a brilliant addition, though, and give a lot more variety!

A pick-and-mix robot set with a few non-combat utility arms, etc, would also  add some possibilities for civilian cyborgs and ‘bots.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 04:33:11 PM »
I think every period and scale is crying out for more civilians but particularly Sci-fi...

I even resorted to Mantic's funny ball game for civilians. But then I think most players are more likely to buy and are willing to spend more on combat miniatures...

Certainly many miniatures can be demilitarised by taking away weapons etc. but it is hardly ideal.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 05:27:07 PM »
I think every period and scale is crying out for more civilians but particularly Sci-fi...

... Certainly many miniatures can be demilitarised by taking away weapons etc. but it is hardly ideal.

Hence my inquiry for a dedicated Stargrave civilan boxed set...  ;D

Offline Lord Faoil

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 07:14:14 PM »
I set my games on a desert world & use the Noresmian Nights range for civilians along with various others.
There's a lot of historical,particularly feudal types, available on-line but it's hard to find dedicated Sci-Fi alright.
I too would love a set dedicated to sci-fi types.
Sci-Fi Pilgrims range on Etsy have 3 sets & are very Sci-Fi agnostic. I'd recommend them

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 08:00:34 PM »
I also like unarmed civilian Sci Fi figures.
Reaper has some. Rosie Chronotechnician springs to mind.
Metal Magic Spacelords line has a few.
If you don't mind 34mm, lots of Heroclix might fit the bill.

For seated figures, the pilots in the Lead Bones SWAT line are cheap and effective basic pilot types. They're also just slightly undersized so they fit better in toy vehicles and such. There's a male and female version in seated and standing positions. Standing positions aren't undersized and have holsters, but aren't brandishing.

The only shortcoming is that the female pilot head is pretty crude but the heads come separate and it's easy to swap in other heads.
http://recreationalconflict.lusagi.com/lbsmodsingle.html
Figs 17-20. There's two unarmed Hazmat figs on there I wish I'd bought last time also. They'd make great civies, perhaps with a head swap. Especially the one carrying two duffels.

Lastly There's a couple other unarmed figs in the civilians section, but not very sci Fi.

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2022, 04:24:57 PM »
CP Models have human and alien civilians in 28mm

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2022, 04:38:33 PM »
However, if they produce a civilians sprue, or even just a sprue of arms with bags and tricorder type things), I will be very happy

Check here https://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/product-category/sally_4th_miniatures/landing_party_scifi_range/?mc_cid=e6dbde9e90&mc_eid=f10c0e652d

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2022, 06:27:57 PM »

This would be cool - even just a few more options on any new sprues.

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 09:39:21 AM »
Hydra Miniatures have a nice range of space age civilians, but I don't know how tall they'll be compared to Stargrave little dudes.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 11:43:25 AM »
Yes would also really like to see a civilian set. Relaxed poses with empty hands preferably. Maybe a seperate sprue of bags or whatever.