Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:13:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) New medieval buildings range - Third house ready - Page 4  (Read 7003 times)

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
Re: New medieval buildings range
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2022, 04:41:20 PM »
People were shorter in the middle ages. I've often banged my head on the lintel exploring old farmhouses etc. I'm 6 foot tall. There also are plenty of real examples with windows like that.

Correct - but the 28mm figures represent people in the Middle Ages. So therefore they'd match the size of the doorways, not modern day giants like you and I. ;)

I agree with the windows in the new kits. Glass was not attainable for everyone the same way we have it mass produced today so one method to keep people from crawling inside your home was to bar it up and include shutters to block out the cold during winter. Plenty of examples of these types of windows, so I think it is accurate.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2022, 04:45:23 PM »
Work has begun on more releases which will come out in due course.

Great stuff. 8)
What’s likely to be next in the range?
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2022, 05:23:51 PM »
Great stuff. 8)
What’s likely to be next in the range?

I have planned another couple of similar buildings (posher and less posh), more outhouses, a market cross plus a couple of other little bits that might prove interesting.

I’ll also hopefully be doing thatched cottages but I need to sort out doing a thatch I’m pleased with and that will cast reasonably well.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2022, 12:40:43 PM »
Mine just arrived and looks very nice.
Looking forward to more - hopefully the couple of other little bits might include a bakers oven/brewery/workshop style of thing for the backyards?  I do like a busy backyard :)
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2022, 01:27:31 PM »
Aha, that’s you!  lol

Hopefully lots of little things like that, yes  :)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2022, 02:22:01 AM »
How come?

Mainly for people trying to figure out what they can get if there isn't as much of a budget for it.

I loathe having to dig around for shipping costs as it makes things relatively tricky at times in working out total orders.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2022, 03:12:23 AM »
I’ll also hopefully be doing thatched cottages but I need to sort out doing a thatch I’m pleased with and that will cast reasonably well.
I could see that being a bit tricky.

Offline Dolnikan

• Librarian
    • Dolnikan Games
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2022, 07:23:06 AM »
People were shorter in the middle ages. I've often banged my head on the lintel exploring old farmhouses etc. I'm 6 foot tall. There also are plenty of real examples with windows like that.

People being shorter is one thing, but I don't think that there weren't people of your height. They weren't that much shorter. I would rather think that in many buildings it was done because lower ceilings and the like are cheaper and easier to build, which becomes even more important when you're not having such great surpluses anyways. So probably, many of the inhabitants also had to bend down just to enter their homes.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2022, 01:34:00 PM »
People being shorter is one thing, but I don't think that there weren't people of your height. They weren't that much shorter. I would rather think that in many buildings it was done because lower ceilings and the like are cheaper and easier to build, which becomes even more important when you're not having such great surpluses anyways. So probably, many of the inhabitants also had to bend down just to enter their homes.

Actually it is a bit of a myth. People in medieval times were more or less the same size as we are now (and that varies A LOT). It is more in the 17. 18. hundreds that people got smaller. As populations grew and living conditions worsened for a lot of people. Low houses is also a heat thing. Heat rises and with a low ceiling you can benefit more from the heat generated. For northern Europe at least. We build to keep the heat while southern Europe builds high ceilings to keep away the heat.

But i fear we are getting off topic from Jims outstanding offerings.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: (COMMERCIAL) New medieval buildings range
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2022, 12:06:44 PM »
The next 'wave' of medieval buildings is now ready and in the webshop  :)

A well-to-do house using pretty much the same footprint as the first one (the attic and roof are the same in both kits) and two outhouses. The smallest one is also included in the well-to-do house as the rear exit.

There'll be a small additions range for the buildings next year along with being able to buy the floors separately.

https://oshiromodels.wixsite.com/oshiromodelswebshop/medieval

Mainly for people trying to figure out what they can get if there isn't as much of a budget for it.

I'll see about having it as a sidebar in the new year.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: (COMMERCIAL) New medieval buildings range - Wave two - Page 3
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2022, 12:38:15 PM »
Superb! I'll certainly be getting them further down the line (I promise!). Plans for a dedicated gaming space hopefully happening early next year will mean I'll be going terrain mad.

These will obviously look good inside some medieval town walls.... What about outside the walls, as 'suburbs'? I've come across a lot of references to suburbs in accounts of sieges, either destroyed by the defenders beforehand, or occupied by the besiegers, with certain large houses and barns being used as headquarters for the commanders....
Do we know what sort of houses would make up the suburbs outside the town walls? The same sort of town houses as inside, or would they be more 'lower class' dwellings?

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2022, 01:26:38 PM »
Great looking buildings. I think the doors and windows are just right. Will have to keep on the lookout for your future releases.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2022, 10:04:42 PM »
Thanks chaps  :)

Quote from: Charlie_ link=topic=137826.msg1774503#msg1774503  date=1671367095
These will obviously look good inside some medieval town walls.... What about outside the walls, as 'suburbs'? I've come across a lot of references to suburbs in accounts of sieges, either destroyed by the defenders beforehand, or occupied by the besiegers, with certain large houses and barns being used as headquarters for the commanders....
Do we know what sort of houses would make up the suburbs outside the town walls? The same sort of town houses as inside, or would they be more 'lower class' dwellings?

Good question  :)

Depends on how big the outer settlement was I suppose. From what I’ve seen it would most likely be your average cruck frame dwelling with maybe a couple of this type near the gate and some larger, generic medieval buildings (jettied but long).

As I mentioned before, I need to be happy with the thatch before wading into making a series of cruck frames. When it doesn’t work it’s a spectacular waste of silicon  lol

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2022, 01:08:57 AM »
Those look really great. I can imagine how much silicone these need.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2022, 06:48:40 PM »
Great buildings James. :-*
The range is growing fast.