Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:51:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Faerie Folks, Devils & other (Piedmont tales)?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
Faerie Folks, Devils & other (Piedmont tales)?
« on: August 25, 2022, 04:42:50 PM »
Where I can find a manufacturer with a large range of Faerie Folk, Devils and other fantastic miniatures?
I yet found some miniatures from Midlmam, Otherworld and even Reaper but still looking for more.
I especially looking for faerie folk, devils and other fantastic creatures with a 18th century/medieval look (if and when possible).
I've see some nice devils from Antediluvian miniatures too.
https://antediluvianminiatures.wordpress.com/2017/12/03/shop-medieval-demons/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 10:35:32 AM by Katsuhiko JiNNai »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Faerie Folks, Devils & other fantastic miniatures?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 05:20:38 PM »
Have a look at Conquest Games' Myths of Albion range. There are lots of interesting things hidden away within each category.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 05:21:50 PM »
Also have a look in the fantasy board for the Fae project by Malamute - plenty of great examples.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 01:37:43 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I gave a look to the Conquest Games miniatures and some seem quite nice, maybe I will consider some.

Silent Invader where I can find the "Fae Project" by Malamute?

Actually I'm ispired by the traditional tales from my italian region (Piedmont) about many faerie folk, devils and more, than I was considering to find the appropriate miniatures to represent them.
Here some miniatures from Midlam Miniatures and Mirliton that could be good for these piedmont faerie folk.

Bargniff (huge toad or hairy like a bear according to the legend), who proposed riddles to those who crossed the river at night: if the traveler got the wrong answer, he ended up in the water.

Canett, magical dogs that roam the valleys at night barking and attract curiosity of people, captured by the pack if caught spying on the hunt.

Carcaveja: faerie who has all the characteristics of succubus.

Faia, the cross between the evil witch and the good-hearted fairy. It was said that she helped the shepherds, teaching them the processing of milk and the use of various medicinal herbs. She felt very lonely and one day, perhaps driven by maternal instinct, she decided to kidnap a child. The locals, furious, gave her a merciless hunt, and the Faia she had to flee to save her life.

Ungumano, These anthropophagous creatures would be a hybrid between a man and a boar.

Luo Barabicchou: faerie who lives in Piedmont, in particular in the provinces of Turin and Cuneo. The name derives from the curious goat beard that he wears on his chin; his predilection for scaring children ranks him among the most mischievous and nasty faerie in the region. Like all the enchanted beings of his lineage, he suddenly changes his mood, turning into a good playmate for children at an early age.

Manteillons: Singular breed of faerie that has no equal in the world of the Little People and that lives on the unreachable snow-capped peaks of Monte Bianco. Manteillons are strange legless beings and wear a large cloak that hides their physical anomaly. Of course, like any self-respecting faerie they are too used they too are used to annoy the villagers with all kinds of jokes: they loot the pantries without restraint, tie the cows two by two by the tails, tear the blankets from the beds, soundly slap the poor people who they sleep a lot. Nocturnal creatures par excellence, they enjoy breaking the windows of the houses where they find the lights on. Some time ago the Manteillons used to frequent, moving from one to the other with the favor of darkness, the mountain refuges around Aosta and if by chance they met a man they turned into ferocious and terribly dangerous beings.

Servan: Picturesque family of faerie inhabitants of the north-western regions of Italy, especially in the province of Cuneo. Small, quick and very agile, they are endowed with incredible strength and almost always remain invisible. The Servans usually frequent the countryside and peasant houses, or mountain huts. When they are offended or driven out, they take their revenge by combining a long series of pranks that forces the occupants to leave the house. Usually, like almost all the faerie of the Italic tradition, they dampen the virulence of their jokes in the presence of a beautiful girl. Indeed, it is said that in many cases some Servan give up their spiteful disposition to help girls with housework, in exchange for their company. Servans desire beyond all things to resemble humans and therefore often exchange their young with newborn babies.

Ciappin: Diabolical faerie that rages in Lombardy and Piedmont.

Barabio: Very ugly faerie widespread in the Langhe and in the province of Cuneo. He has a habit of chasing and, thanks to his demonic appearance, scaring children who do not return home before sunset.

Luv Ravas, a menacing big man who at times turned into a ravenous wolf.

Drago del Monte Bianco, Alpine legends also speak of an entire family of these creatures on Monte Bianco.

Cavaliere dei Monti, These nocturnal knights, also called Beatrici, approached the peasants to give them a gift of freshly hunted game, which then turned into human limbs.

Masca, Their legend is spread across the board, from the Langhe to the Canavese and the Cuneo valleys. They have the appearance of normal women and are endowed with superhuman powers, including bilocation and the ability to transform into various animals: primarily cats, but also sheep, a form that they used to follow unsuspecting travelers in Val Stura. Some of them were part of the community and, in addition to passing on their powers to daughters and grandchildren, attended the church. There were useful tricks to unmask them and, if necessary, imprison them, including leaving a cross in the pile of holy water. According to the myth they had the gift of immortality, but not of eternal youth: they were therefore destined to grow old and have health problems. Next to the "domestic" Masche, who had a family, were the "supernatural" ones, who inhabited the woods and became extremely vengeful towards anyone who violated their habitat. They exercised control over the climate and triggered hailstorms or periods of drought at will. Their activity was mainly nocturnal and it is said that in a chestnut wood near Rivara they went to meet the demons.

Offline Bogdanwaz

• Scientist
    • O My Ruritania
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 02:09:10 AM »
Have you looked at the Carnevale line by TT Combat, designed for a fantasy/horror game set in 18th century Venice.

https://ttcombat.com/collections/carnevale

Also, Warmonger Miniatures has some of the old Foundry fantasy lines, including their Revenant Elves:

https://www.warmongerminiatures.com/collections/elves

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 10:34:59 AM »
Have you looked at the Carnevale line by TT Combat, designed for a fantasy/horror game set in 18th century Venice.

https://ttcombat.com/collections/carnevale

Also, Warmonger Miniatures has some of the old Foundry fantasy lines, including their Revenant Elves:

https://www.warmongerminiatures.com/collections/elves

Thanks, yes I looked to the carnevale range and warmonger miniatures too.
However I don't like too much resin miniatures and the design of the carnevale miniature seem could not fit with the other miniatures I'm planning to buy (Eureka Miniatures 18th century Piedmont/Kingdom of Sardinia). The Revenant elvese could be nice Carcaveja (Incubus/Succubus) or maybe the court of the elves from the tale of my region.

I'm still looking for the right ogre as an Orchon (the ogre in the tales of my region).
There are some Ogre with 18th century clothes?

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
Re: Faerie Folks, Devils & other (Piedmont tales)?
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 11:13:12 AM »
I can't think of any C18th ogres off the top of my head, but thought the Silver Bayonet goblins might make good ciappin proxies?

https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=16192

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 11:24:21 AM »
I can't think of any C18th ogres off the top of my head, but thought the Silver Bayonet goblins might make good ciappin proxies?

https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=16192

Thanks, Nice looking goblins, could be a nice alternative for ciappin  o_o

Offline Galtisant

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 12:18:15 PM »
Some of the Alternative Armies Slaughterloo figures, from the Age of Valon range, (https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/the-troll-nations-of-valon) may work quite well as 18th century ogres.

Northumbrian tin soldier (https://www.northumbriantinsoldier.com/ ) have some unusual and very characterful models that may also be of interest.

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 12:49:54 PM »
Some of the Alternative Armies Slaughterloo figures, from the Age of Valon range, (https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/the-troll-nations-of-valon) may work quite well as 18th century ogres.

Northumbrian tin soldier (https://www.northumbriantinsoldier.com/ ) have some unusual and very characterful models that may also be of interest.

Thanks, I was just considering the flintoque miniatures, in fact I've done a selection of miniatures that could be nice faerie folk for my 18th century background.
The northumbrian miniatures are surely nice, but I'm trying to save shipping cost looking to a manufacturer that own most of the miniatures I need.
Somebody know a UK/Europe retailer that include mirliton, midlam, alternative armies and northumbrian miniatures?

Here some example for the Ciappin and Nani Metalliferi (metal-bearing dwarves):

« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 12:56:32 PM by Katsuhiko JiNNai »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 01:35:57 PM »
Very interesting project!

This ogre from Mannikin Studios might fit the bill.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 01:37:04 PM »
Ana Polanscak did an amazing job on it here.

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2022, 09:22:15 PM »
Thanks, nice miniatures but the design could not fit well with the old school look of the miniatures I'm looking, and usually I try to avoid resin miniatures.  :'(

I'm still looking for some nice source for my 18th centurie faerie folk and I've updated some of my choices.
I've seen the eureka miniatures (from it I should order their kingdom of sardinia miniatures) have some interesting farie folk:
https://www.eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_134&sort=3a
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 09:24:20 PM by Katsuhiko JiNNai »