Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:52:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer Inquisitor game ?  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Warhammer Inquisitor game ?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2022, 04:16:19 PM »
Inquisitor (colloquially shortened online to =][= by many fans) was in fact closely based on Confrontation ruleset - even the cover diagrams were identical. Yes, that Confrontation, the one that would later become Necromunda.

That's why the combat is pretty decent, why the game suits 4-6 models a side, and why the rest of the ruleset is pretty barren for pretty much everything else the game expects of you. At least =][= seems to recognise this, and offers some "points values" to guide you, and suggests a non-player GM to arbitrate the games, handwave rules issues, and provide some RPG mystery for both players.

As others have already said though, the scale was a strange choice that made it difficult and unnecessarily expensive for people to get into, and the game was easily broken by anything that veered too far from what you could reasonably expect from a typical human. In fact, Space Marines were restricted quite a lot by many players because they were frankly bonkers-good.

Shortly after =][= was released, GW made a fairly wide range of 28mm Inquisitor and Henchmen figures for 40k, and many people took to just using those figures with Necromunda rules... And Inq28 was born.

For what it's worth, you might like to look into trying Confrontation out, as it's easier from a narrative point of view, and more people will have suitable figures and terrain for it. Be warned though, Confrontation is rough and less complete than =][=, but it can still be lots of fun with the right people! ;)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2022, 11:19:16 PM »
For anyone interested in playing Inquisitor as intended (semi RPG) Humble Bundle have the full sets of Cubicle 7 Deathwatch and Rogue Trader RPG books in full colour pdfs on offer at the moment.
Core rules, Handbooks, Bestiaries, Adventures, Campaigns and all sourcebooks for (currently) €25.

http://www.humblebundle.com/books/warhammer-deathwatch-and-rogue-trader-cubicle-7-books

It is a very easy conversion to make them work with the Inq rules as the 40K based stat lines are virtually the same between the systems.  Very cheap way to pick up many hours of pre-prepared settings and scenarios for Inquisitor bands.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2022, 10:14:02 AM »
For anyone interested in playing Inquisitor as intended (semi RPG) Humble Bundle have the full sets of Cubicle 7 Deathwatch and Rogue Trader RPG books in full colour pdfs on offer at the moment.
Core rules, Handbooks, Bestiaries, Adventures, Campaigns and all sourcebooks for (currently) €25.

http://www.humblebundle.com/books/warhammer-deathwatch-and-rogue-trader-cubicle-7-books

It is a very easy conversion to make them work with the Inq rules as the 40K based stat lines are virtually the same between the systems.  Very cheap way to pick up many hours of pre-prepared settings and scenarios for Inquisitor bands.
Ha! Just posted about this over on the GW thread.  I had no idea the statlines were so similar.  I just picked up the bundle for reading material and possibly scenario ideas for skrimish games.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2022, 02:47:00 PM »
I love inquisitor - it was the end of the line for GWs long winded attempt at a D100 system (laserburn became confrontation which became inquisitor)

It's an oddly simple system that just gets bogged down in some overly convoluted mechanics. Still, Its influence is ongoing and it's well worth a playthrough if you ever get the time.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2022, 03:45:25 PM »
Ha! Just posted about this over on the GW thread.  I had no idea the statlines were so similar.  I just picked up the bundle for reading material and possibly scenario ideas for skrimish games.

Yes, for example a basic Deathwatch Marine exists in Deathwatch, Rogue Trader and the older (better imho) FFG Dark Heresy RPGs as well as Inquisitor and 40k, so he can be your baseline.  Compare any of the RPG characters to him in that system and extrapolate that directly to Inquisitor, or back to 40k and then to Inq if you want to set a class rather than a single character.
The GM will still need to revert the exotic weaponry in the newer games back to 40K/Inq (although I imagine newer versions of 40K have the same weaponry in there somewhere so up to date players should find it easy)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2022, 04:17:59 PM »
I have played entire games of =][= without firing a single shot as we resolved the conflict via RP and investigation instead. 

Fun game if played in the proper spirit and a willing GM.     
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2022, 05:07:43 PM »
I have played entire games of =][= without firing a single shot as we resolved the conflict via RP and investigation instead. 

Fun game if played in the proper spirit and a willing GM.   
That sounds like a great group if you can pull off such a game with willing participants and still have it be engaging.   Even my touchstone for Inquisitor fluff Eisenhorn -while he does have a good deal of violence- uses much negotiation, threats, subterfuge and just boring research to accomplish his ends.

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2022, 05:20:00 PM »
I have never played =][=, specifically, but I love the concept of an RPG on the table which is more like a skirmish than an RPG, using larger figures, and that's an avenue I am keen to explore.

There is a fantasy/medieval ruleset called The Dolorous Stroke, which is heavily influenced by =][=, albeit in a different setting, but it's the same sort of idea.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 09:53:33 PM by tikitang »
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2022, 08:54:33 PM »
I have never played =][=, specifically, but I love the concept of an RPG on the table which is more like a skirmish than an RPG, using larger figures, and that's an avenue I am keen to explore.

There is a fantasy/medieval ruleset called The Dolorous Stroke, which is heavily influenced by =][=, albeit in a different setting, but it's the same sort of idea.

Dolorous stroke is great, and has a really elegant system with card decks for wound tracking.

Perhaps in a more sci fi vein I could recommend Planet 28? ;)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2022, 02:25:17 AM »
Dolorous stroke is great, and has a really elegant system with card decks for wound tracking.

Perhaps in a more sci fi vein I could recommend Planet 28? ;)
Planet 28 looks great. I haven't played yet, but I've been texting it and a club member highly recommend it after his play through.
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2021/12/aar-planet28-why-are-there-so-many-planets/
 If you join the Mammoth Miniatures Patreon the 2nd edition of the game is free...

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2022, 03:16:27 AM »

I didn't find that card based system particularly elegant myself -- I found it downright fiddly -- but otherwise those rules certainly have a lot of cool ideas.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 03:40:11 AM by tikitang »

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2022, 01:56:16 PM »
Planet 28 looks great. I haven't played yet, but I've been texting it and a club member highly recommend it after his play through.
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2021/12/aar-planet28-why-are-there-so-many-planets/
 If you join the Mammoth Miniatures Patreon the 2nd edition of the game is free...

It's free on wargames vault by default.

Back to inquisitor - the campaign books were really good too - lot off off table gameplay crammed in to very small mystery focused campaigns.
They are however prohibitively expensive!