Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:01:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting Templar Knights  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Painting Templar Knights
« on: September 01, 2022, 07:54:25 PM »
Good Afternoon Everyone.
I have a dilemma and am hoping that the good folks here on LAF can help me. I have some Templar knight figures - mounted and on foot that I would like to paint. I know their cloaks are whitish, but could really use a tutorial or painting guide on how best to paint them. Could anyone help me out??

Thank you in advance,
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Painting Templar Knights
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 08:08:49 PM »
What century are you thinking of?

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 05:05:29 AM »
During the Crusades.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 07:30:26 AM »
I looked into this in a very dilettantish way the other week, because I had some Caesar 1/72 knights to paint up for Kings of War, and I quite fancied having them look a little like a historical order.

As far as I could establish (in an hour or two's Googling), most of what's known of the order's liveries and heraldry is informed conjecture at best - based on a painting here and a description there, but never really conclusive as to consistency of 

There are historical images showing Templars with matching black bands ('chiefs') across the top of their shields, and there are images showing them with red crosses on white. Senior knights in the order seem to have mashed up its heraldry with their own, and other knights may have done the same. White surcoats and white mantles with a red cross seem to have been a distinctive feature - although it may well have been one or the other in various situations.

They 'should' have red crosses on the surcoats, but I couldn't be bothered. I may add those later.

Sergeants (i.e. non-noble men-at-arms) are said to have worn black surcoats and black or brown mantles.

All of this probably varied considerably by time and place and over the two centuries of the order's existence.

If I had to guess, I'd speculate that we're inclined to make medieval warriors look more uniform than they would have actually have been. Either way, I reckon you've got plenty of scope to vary as you see fit.

These are my 1/72 'pseudo-Templars'. Bear in mind that they're very small and in soft plastic!

I painted the surcoats very simply over a black undercoat: Vallejo dark sand, highlights in Vallejo ivory and then a final round of light highlights in white. The armour (painted first) is Vallejo natural steel washed with Citadel's Drakenhof Nightshade and then highlighted with Vallejo silver.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 07:32:03 AM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 08:44:08 AM »
They certainly look very effective - great job on the painting.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 12:05:00 PM »
During the Crusades.

OK, what Century during the Crusades?

The reason I'm asking is because they went from the first attached image to the second two attached images over the centuries. They were founded in 1119 and dissolved under extreme pressure from Philip of France by Pope Clement in 1312.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 04:21:54 PM by Atheling »

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 12:24:00 PM »
My 10mm Templars certainly have the cross on their surcoats, and I am no Leonardo.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 04:15:16 PM »
As noted above, the knights wore a simple white/undyed affair with a red cross.

Sergeants wore either black or brown with a red cross

I've also read that their "clergy" wore green with a red cross, though they wouldn't have gone into battle.

The beauseant was black on top and white on the bottom, from what we know.  So it is quite popular to paint a similar motif onto their shields.

While there would have been some variation, the Templars did have a relatively 'formal' uniform.  This marked them both on and off the field.  Thus I would recommend relative uniformity when painting them.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 04:20:06 PM by Maniac »
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2022, 06:44:00 PM »
Hobgoblin;
Very nicely painted. I also appreciate your photos and the paints listed that you used. I undercoat all of my miniatures in black but with the light surcoats, I wasn't sure if it was possible to do that but you have shown that it can be done and quite effectively. Thank you for your input and tutorial.

Atheling;
Thank you for your information and photos as they are very helpful. I guess I was thinking of the later 12th century and early 13th century, when they started hiring themselves out as "body guards" for pilgrims through the Holy Lands and when they fought against Saladin (1177). I have a large Arab army that needs painting and I was hoping to paint up a n army of Templars to use against them. I already have several armies painted up in European heraldry, but have been languishing on how to paint up the Templars.

Maniac;
Thank you for your information on the colours for the Knights, Sergeants and Clergy. It is also very helpful as I have Sergeants and clergy to paint up as well.

Thank you everyone for your assistance. If anyone else has anything further to add, I would be most grateful. Thank you all once again.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2022, 09:44:45 PM »
Here is art from Mathew of Paris, circa 1200-1260 showing Templars:

Hospitaler Banner on left, Templar on right:
http://www.durhammedievalcombatacademy.org/images/portfolio/templar_flags_2.jpg

A medieval fresco of a Templar:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 09:49:29 PM by Maniac »

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2022, 04:03:43 AM »
Wow Maniac...those are quite the finds. I have never seen those before. Thanks for sharing.
Regards
Hitman
 8)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2022, 12:08:58 PM »
Here's a very bad quality photo of some early 12th Century Templars I speed painted for a game ages ago.....

There are also several pics of speed painted Knights Hospitaller painted at the same time on my blog if you're interested:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2015/10/battle-of-arsuf-third-crusade-templars.html

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2022, 04:37:09 AM »
Atheling,
The off white colour is exactly what I want to do but alas I do not have the paints you describe. I will have to try and figure out the colors I need to copy your extremely well painted figures...unless I hire you to paint mine up...😉.

Thanks for the link and information.
Regards
Hitman
😎

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2022, 05:42:34 AM »
Atheling,
The off white colour is exactly what I want to do but alas I do not have the paints you describe. I will have to try and figure out the colors I need to copy your extremely well painted figures...

You could try ordering the Triad from Wargames Foundry here:
https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/paint/products/009-bone-yard

Though as a word of warning, although the Wargames Foundry paint triad sets were very good quality 20 odd years ago, I have noticed when I have replaced the odd pot, the overall quality of the paint has not been the same as it used to be.

Why not use the image below and try matching Vallejo Model and/or Game Colours up?

unless I hire you to paint mine up...😉.

Sorry I gave up on doing commissions many years back as it was ruining the hobby for me.

Thanks for the link and information.
Regards
Hitman
😎

Always happy to help where I can.  BTW, do you have the Osprey Warrior Knights Templar book? It doesn't go into great detail but it is actually a good primer on the subject.

Available here (bu8t check out Amazon first as they are usually cheaper):
https://ospreypublishing.com/knight-templar-pb

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2022, 01:46:30 AM »
Atheling;
Thanks for the further tips. OMG..after your last post with Osprey book, I went downstairs and sure enough I bought that book several years ago but completely forgot I bought it. Thanks for jogging my memory!! As for the colour matching, I just might have the right paint colors so that too is a big help. I was just kidding (sort of...😉) about the painting!! 🙂

Once again thanks for your help.
Regards
Hitman
😎