Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:41:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: FANTASTIC BATTLES 1:72 scale (Regiment trays and bases)  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
FANTASTIC BATTLES 1:72 scale (Regiment trays and bases)
« on: September 08, 2022, 09:27:20 AM »
The first test miniature for the paint scheme of my Easterling/Balchoth army, using 1:72 miniatures (Dark Alliance). Here a single 1:72 miniature alongside an old dipped miniature I did in 2009. The miniatures will have a 15mm round base that will be fitted inside a 60x60mm regiment tray with 6 round slots. This option of using slots will be easier to paint the miniatures and change the amy list. I can even play with the old Lord of the Rings rulebook that still I own, just using the miniatures without the regiment trays.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 02:04:01 PM by Katsuhiko JiNNai »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: FANTASTIC BATTLES (1:72 scale, first painted miniature)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 10:24:59 AM »
He looks great! Very effective paintwork!

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 01:30:52 PM »
Looks fantastic :).
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 01:46:27 PM »
Thanks  :)
I'm not so sure about the paint scheme, then I will try another one and confront it with the first one.
Meanwhile I did some tests with the regiment tray and the chariot.
The horses are smaller than the ones I will use for the rohirrim, maybe I will use some alternatives from zvezda or I could just consider them as a race of small horses used for chariot.

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 02:36:07 PM »
I think you're all good having the Rohirrim on larger horses. Their horses are descended from those brought out of the West by Oromë, one of the Valar, and are supposed to be swifter and stronger than normal horses. Also, given that the Riders of Rohan appear to be made up of a warrior aristocracy and their household troops, I'm guessing that a really big horse would be the ultimate status symbol.

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 12:05:32 PM »
I just ordered the 60x60mm regiment trays with slots, here how they should be done, the first for the infantry, the second for cavalry and the last for the chariots.
Then I could easily change miniatures inside the regiment trays when needed, and use them as single miniatures if I want to play another game with skirmish rules:

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 10:17:28 AM »
Another paint scheme I could consider, still not sure what it is better, maybe the first one for common soldiers and red one for leaders.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 11:21:46 AM by Katsuhiko JiNNai »

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Re: FANTASTIC BATTLES (1:72 scale, another paint scheme)
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 03:27:57 AM »
Wow, I had no idea that Dark Alliance had come out with “Easterlings”.  Excellent!  I might need to grab a box or two.

And your second paint scheme is spot on.

Thanks

Dan
PS.  What primer do you use for soft plastic figures?  How well does it hold over time?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 03:30:15 AM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 07:30:06 AM »
I like the red paint scheme more than the steel one.

I think the steel colour on the shields is perhaps a bit too much of the same colour - so if you like the steel colour for the armour, try the red on the shield? For speed of painting you could dry brush the whole figure in the steel, and then go over it with the red on the shield, this will give a pre-shading effect.

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 09:07:32 AM »
Wow, I had no idea that Dark Alliance had come out with “Easterlings”.  Excellent!  I might need to grab a box or two.

And your second paint scheme is spot on.

Thanks

Dan
PS.  What primer do you use for soft plastic figures?  How well does it hold over time?

I like the red paint scheme more than the steel one.

I think the steel colour on the shields is perhaps a bit too much of the same colour - so if you like the steel colour for the armour, try the red on the shield? For speed of painting you could dry brush the whole figure in the steel, and then go over it with the red on the shield, this will give a pre-shading effect.

Maybe I could paint with wood or red the inside of the shields, as the original Easterlings, but I like the idea of a full steel shield.
Some of the miniatures have "horns" on their helms with print defects, then I was considering to replace with plumes and other bitz (small blades), that will give them a more "chaotic" look as evil easterlings (Balchoth). I was considering to paint them with some variations in clothes and armor, some with steel armors, other with red or just parts of it. To have a similar "evil" look like the pictures attached.

Thanks  :)
I use citadel white primer spray as for my 28mm miniatures. Some years ago I painted a 1:72 parthian army from Zvezda and seem it still hold.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 09:14:46 AM by Katsuhiko JiNNai »

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2022, 06:47:27 PM »
I too didn’t know that there were Easterlings in 1:72. Now I’m getting interested in the scale…

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2022, 09:48:10 AM »
I painted the first of the Rohirrim Knights. Classic paint scheme of the Rohirrim from the movie and Citadel/GW.
When the regiment trays and bases I've ordered will arrive, I will include them on the miniatures.

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
Re: FANTASTIC BATTLES 1:72 scale (Added Rohirrim Knight)
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2022, 09:54:30 AM »
Very nice Rohirrim, especially the horse. Here are mine in case you might want to see how I based them: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=137609.0

I've already asked you about your basing on Benno's and I'm very interested in seeing yours based as I'm thinking about something similar to use with my miniatures for other games as well.
Cheers,
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 05:05:12 PM by blacksmith »

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2022, 09:34:31 PM »
A nice knight. 

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2022, 11:41:12 PM »
Those figures all look perfect for Middle Earth gaming. I’m forward to seeing your project as it progresses!