Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:32:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690372
  • Total Topics: 118327
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Liquidate the Führer  (Read 4854 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Liquidate the Führer
« on: September 27, 2022, 12:21:54 PM »
Having pre-ordered 02 Hundred Hours from Grey For Now Games, I was keen to get in a game. All the preamble had convinced me that it was the game for me. A small number of special forces sneaking about at night (night being a central feature of the game), causing mayhem and ‘setting Europe ablaze’! Some rather lovely new figures too.

I could use SAS, SBS, SOE, Commandos etc. and I also plan to have a game using Brandenburgers to raid the Isle of Wight, the defenders being the Home Guard.

Sojourning at Vagabond Manor recently, we had a chance to get a game in. The SAS feature in our game (set in 1940) and they were not in fact, formed until 1941. Add this to the fictitious invasion, my inability to take anything seriously, my penchant for ridiculous character names and the whole thing seems more fitted to the Pulp board, than the WWII board. The premise for this game was the same as my ‘On The Day, Went The Eagle's Landing Well?’ from 2018. If you are having trouble sleeping, it’s here:

On The Day, Went The Eagle's Landing Well?

The German 9th and 16th Armies (Army Group A) under Field Marshal von Rundstedt have crossed the channel and established a bridgehead on the English coast between Portsmouth in the west and Ramsgate in the east. Initial signs are that Unternehmen Seelöwe (Operation Sealion) is proceeding to plan. Army Group C under Field Marshal von Leeb are ready for embarkation at Cherbourg for the second landing at Lyme Regis. It is intended that the 6th Army will advance northwards from Lyme Regis through Taunton aiming for the vital docks at Bristol. The overall strategic aim is for the German forces to advance north and establish a line from Gloucester to Maldon. The Germans, having taken London assume that the British will then negotiate for peace. Churchill has repeatedly stated that the British forces will not surrender, “We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender”. The countryside west of the Taunton-Lyme Regis stop-line will be left until the surrender and then elements of the German 6th Army will be used to subjugate Devon and Cornwall.

The action takes place at Great Futtocking, a small village in Kent, situated near Dymchurch. It occupies a crossroads, with some shops, a pub, various residential properties and some smallholdings.

It is September 1940 and This royal throne of kings, this sceptered isle, This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-paradise, This fortress built by Nature for herself Against infection and the hand of war, This happy breed of men, this little world, This precious stone set in the silver sea, Which serves it in the office of a wall Or as a moat defensive to a house, Against the envy of less happier lands,--This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England has been invaded by the German army.

But, fear naught my friends, it’s never over until the Fat Lady starts warbling!

First, a look at the village of Great Futtocking.

To be continued...

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Liquidate the Führer
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 02:51:53 PM »
Meanwhile, in the nearby village of Upper Thong, Major Lord Hereward Carew ‘Tubby’ Snapcase has been summoned to a makeshift Brigade HQ in an old marquee tent. Upper Thong is still in British hands but is near enough to the front line to hear the rumble of German panzers and the sound of MG34s firing in short bursts.

Ducking his head to enter the marquee, Tubby was surprised to encounter the smiling visage of his niece, Lady Verity ‘Peaches’ Snapcase. Before Tubby could greet his niece, the booming voice of Brigadier Horace Startling-Grope demanded everyone’s attention.

“Lady Verity here, has come hotfoot from London with startling news. Sir Douglas D’Emfore’s Special Operations Executive in Baker Street have intercepted and decoded a top secret message from Oberkommando der Wehrmacht. I will now hand you over to her for a briefing.”

“Gentlemen,” began Peaches “it has come to SOE’s attention that the Führer himself is in England. Apparently, he landed in the greatest secrecy in St. Mary’s Bay last night. Accompanied by a convoy of guards, he is en route to meet with von Rundstedt at Great Futtocking, which is only a few miles from here.”

“This is a great opportunity, I think you will all agree”, resumed Startling-Grope. “With one decisive strike, we can throw the Jerry invasion into chaos. Tubby, I want you to spearhead this mission. Take Lady Verity with you. I want you back here with a cunning plan in 30 minutes, clear?”

“Well, Peaches, m’dear, a quick in and out I think, how say you”, queried Tubby.

“Exactly my thinking Unc, I have brought a couple of the new demo charges with me, courtesy of Sir Douglas. I thought we could booby-trap Hitler’s motor. Then, we can set it off at a safe distance.”

“Righty-ho, I’ll brief the Brigadier, pick a couple of likely lads to help out and we’re off, tally-ho!”

…and so, the scene is set for a daring assassination attempt. A small team sets out at dead of night for Great Futtocking.

The assembled team pose briefly, for a photograph before departure.

From L to R: Lady Verity ‘Peaches’ Snapcase, Sergeant Frobisher Cocklecarrot, Captain Dougie ‘Stodger’ D’Emfore, Major Lord Hereward Carew ‘Tubby’ Snapcase and Corporal Tarquin Shortcake.

To be continued...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 02:56:40 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 09:03:55 PM »
I have been looking forward to this! Madness is sure to follow.  lol lol
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 12:02:27 AM »
Will our heroes, full of piss and vinegar, and a bit of pluck, prevail?  Will the Austrian Corporal make it to his meeting?  Will the sun finally set of the Great British empire?  Will Great Futtocking and Lord Snapcase be the stuff of legend and song?

Who the hell knows?  But we'll all find out after somebody tells us... :D 8)
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 12:53:50 AM »
Will read deeper later but must: "my inability to take anything seriously, my penchant for ridiculous character names" - characteristic of only the finest sort of gentle-mudgeon and upstanding rapscallion.  A perfect fit for Lark Side gaming.   ;) :D

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 12:56:53 AM »
Love it all so far.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 04:37:43 AM »
Very nice! I will admit that the title had me expecting something along the lines of Peter O'Toole in Rogue Male. That's probably another good scenario in the making.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2022, 07:47:09 AM »
Thank you all for your kind remarks.

Will Great Futtocking and Lord Snapcase be the stuff of legend and song?

Do ursine creatures defecate in arboreal environments?   ;)

Carlos, I think you have something there for a future game!

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2022, 07:48:34 AM »
Unknown to Tubby’s squad, the commander of Hitler’s bodyguard was the formidable SS-Obersturmbannführer Brynhildr von Busen, assisted by SS-Hauptsturmführer Joachim von Vagabund (known as Die Wüstenrennmaus). Brynhildr had some SS guards and a squad of Heer soldiers.

I should, at this point have taken a proper photo of both sides’ troops before deployment. This photo shows the SAS, but I omitted to photograph the opposition. Each model has a card with stats and possibly extra equipment or skills, depending on the number of points available. I believe Vaggers had about 8-10 figures, but the defenders are forced to keep half in reserve until the alarm goes off. The defender lays out 6 tokens which is the guards patrol route. The defending officer was allowed a roving patrol. White dice have more chance of success, but grey dice allow stealth and less noise.

WI interview with Graham Davey (game designer) here:

In the chosen scenario, I was allowed two figures to be carrying the demo charges, so if the Germans were to kill both, I would have lost the game.

To be continued...

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2022, 03:47:27 PM »
aka: Of porcine, poultry, and canids.

I think the canid might wreak some havoc on the attackers plans if they are not careful.  Is it a schutzhund or just a domestic local? Maybe one of each - I spy two dogs?  Can't quite tell if that is a cow or a horse next to one of the piggerys.

I'm guessing - wildly, no idea really - that the rules include challenges that awaken and turn animals into noisy critters. (???)

Looks like a fun little game.  Look forward to further reports.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 09:55:30 PM »
Loving the plot and the daft names. Brigadier Horace Startling-Grope? (Collapse of stout party). Looking forward to more!
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2022, 03:30:20 PM »
The games you and Vaggers played during the recent Snapcase sojourn in the Grim North all qualified for the Piddling imprimatur in spades. Great tables, splendid scenarios, tip-top figures, marvellous characters (I’m starting to run out of laudatory adjectives here) and obviously great fun.

This one looks a treat. Settling back now to enjoy the fun as a plain punter, not having been privileged to have been in attendance on this occasion.

Doug

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2022, 04:55:02 PM »
This is most definitely the right board for this!

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2022, 11:00:52 PM »
I see that a small village in Kent, situated near Dymchurch in Kent is right on the sea.  But for some reason Google Maps can't find Great Futtocking.  Silly thing keeps pointing me to Kent University.  ::)

Looking forward to how this develops or should I say implodes?  lol
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2022, 12:21:54 AM »
Brilliant stuff  ;D ;D