Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:36:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Xenos Rampant is coming!  (Read 20406 times)

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
Re: Xenos Rampant is coming!
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2022, 10:03:39 AM »
Cool stuff! 8)

What make are these?

Khurasan. These are the mid-tech power suited guys. They also make a generic trooper with a shoulder mounted Auto cannon.

Offline Jonny

• Assistant
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2022, 07:31:39 AM »
Hi,

I’m really interested in getting these rules. My gaming area at home is 4x3 foot. Do we know if that will be enough space to play a proper game with rules as is, or would I need to alter the suggested ranges?

Thanks if anyone has any info.

Jonny
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 08:36:15 AM by Jonny »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2022, 08:22:15 AM »
It's a skirmish game. Usually they're geared towards 4x4 or 3x3 areas. But there are those that only take up 2x2!

So even though I have nothing to base this on, I think it's safe to assume that 4x3 will be plenty of room...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2022, 10:01:49 AM »
Hi,

I’m really interested in getting these rules. My gaming area at home is 4x3 foot. Do we know if that will be enough space to play a proper game with rules as is, or would I need to alter the suggested ranges?

Most long range missile fire has a maximum range of 18 in. The fastest unit type has a movement rate of 12 in.

If you are using 1-in diameter bases then a unit in loose order will cover somewhere around 4 in by 6 in of space.

That means it will take most units 8 full turns to cross the length of your table in six to cross the width.

You might want to cut down on the size of the deployment zones. By requiring units to stand on the table edge at the start of the game, rather than 6 inches out, you can effectively make your table larger.

I think it will work fine. Ultimately, it's a matter of taste. And you'll have to decide for yourself.  For my part, I use a table that is 32 inches wide, and 24 in deep. With 15 mm figures I cut all ranges and movement in half. And it works great.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2022, 05:02:08 PM »
Most long range missile fire has a maximum range of 18 in. The fastest unit type has a movement rate of 12 in.

If you are using 1-in diameter bases then a unit in loose order will cover somewhere around 4 in by 6 in of space.

That means it will take most units 8 full turns to cross the length of your table in six to cross the width.

You might want to cut down on the size of the deployment zones. By requiring units to stand on the table edge at the start of the game, rather than 6 inches out, you can effectively make your table larger.

I think it will work fine. Ultimately, it's a matter of taste. And you'll have to decide for yourself.  For my part, I use a table that is 32 inches wide, and 24 in deep. With 15 mm figures I cut all ranges and movement in half. And it works great.

Oh dear.  I was hoping these would be my go to Sci -Fi game but those ranges really put me off.  18" weapon range?  We're back into WH40K territory.  Sci Fi weapons that can't shoot more than a nominal 100 feet? 

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2022, 05:54:06 PM »
18” range? Really?

I’ve been playing a bunch of sharp practice lately (Napoleonic Skirmish) and muskets fire to 24” and rifles out to 36”

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2022, 06:57:32 PM »
The Rampant rules are so flexible surely it’s just a matter of house-ruling to suit?
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2022, 07:20:25 PM »
Yeah, just double the ranges  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2022, 08:47:22 PM »
Never played sci-fi before, just ordered Xenos Rampant because I enjoy playing Lion Rampant.

I like the Copplestone Future Wars range so hopefully these will work.

https://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/list.php?cat=1&sub=32&page=1

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2022, 11:14:35 PM »
Is Xenos Rampant a "Small Skirmish" game? I thought it was going to be more along the size of Lion and Dragon Rampant.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2022, 04:18:07 AM »
If you go with full model count units (12 or 6 figs per unit in Dragon Rampant, so probably similar here…) a force will normally be about 50 figures.

BUT, you could also use ‘reduced model’ units, where each figure can take several hits before being removed, and a unit might have only 3-4 figures (or just one figure for real heroes or big critters). The model count for a force then could be as low as 5-6 figures (all single figure units). You could actually have both formats in the same game- think Star Wars scenes where a small number of heroes (4-5 single model units) takes on a company of Imperial stormtroopers (40-50 figures in full count units).

I am looking forward to seeing the rules and giving them a spin. I had a lot of fun with DR, and expect this will be similar.

Offline Jonny

• Assistant
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2022, 10:56:10 AM »
Hi,

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. Sounds like there should be some easy workarounds for a smaller table.

Jonny

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2022, 12:47:31 PM »
The Rampant rules are so flexible surely it’s just a matter of house-ruling to suit?

Doesn't really work though if the game is tested/designed with 18" shooting and you extend it to the whole table (which would be more suitable given the scale of the game).  It sounds like the same Bolt Action/WH40K nonsense where the figure scale and purported game scale simply don't match. ie the worst kind of bath tubbing.  If I wanted to design my own Rampant engine sci-fi game I would have (actually I did because I wanted to use my 40K figures in a better game but it would have been nice to have something official to use rather than persuade my mates to use my homebrew ones)

I know the medieval and fantasy version will have similar dissonance between figure scale and range but somehow it just doesn't feel so jarring compared to what is a sci-fi platoon scale game.  Perhaps that is because it is easier to say "these 12 guys actually represent a regiment" in medievals but not "these 10 guys represent a company, but one of them is armed with a plasma gun and they won't operate like a modern company would but just bunch up in one amorphous blob"

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2022, 01:29:30 PM »
Personally, I don’t expect I’d have a problem doubling distances or whatever, which would be more than  enough for me as an effective range. Support Weapons doubled-up from 24” to 48” would definitely dominate the tabletop for games where that might be wanted. But heck, I haven’t seen the book yet (I only have Richard Cowan’s original fan-variant as a guide) and I expect I’d just play as written.  :)

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2022, 01:45:52 PM »
Range of shooting especially with Sci-fi is always an issue. 40k is notorious for that - but Bolt Action and many others are just as bad. Realistically, if using real figure scale for distance the tables are way too small for more than a few figs skirmishing. I always smile at those rules when a laser pistol can't shoot the length of a tank... It's a pure game mechanic and just a factor of life with some rules.

P.S. Thats why I plan on using 6mm figs for this game. The range scales at least should be reasonable visually with the rules as written. I'll likely use single bases with markers vs fig removal for hits but otherwise it should work fine.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/