Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:40:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686550
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Orctober in Middle-Earth  (Read 9522 times)

Offline WitchQueenofAngmar

• Bookworm
Orctober in Middle-Earth
« on: October 02, 2022, 04:07:19 AM »
Howdy!

Just in time before end of day on the Pacific coast, here's my own Orctober thread! The goal is an orc a day for the rest of the month and I'm happy to say I met today's goal.

For this thread, I'm going with my adaptation of Tolkien's orcs, inspired by the Jackson films, the books, and my own interest in medieval military kit.

I'm starting with my take on Bolg, son of Azog. The kitbash is based around a Frostgrave Demon, with a few parts from the FG Wizards II & Oathmark Orc infantry sets.

Bolg in my opinion is a lordly figure and as such I equipped him in well crafted plate harness as a nod to the industry of the orcs and their delight for cruel & practical equipment.

Next up will be the bodyguard of Bolg.

Thanks for reading!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Orctober in Middle-Earth
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 06:04:19 AM »
That’s a pretty cool kitbash! The Frostgrave demon body certainly works for building heavily armoured orcs. I’m looking forward to seeing the figures you put together over the coming weeks.

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 08:01:19 AM »
That’s a pretty cool kitbash! The Frostgrave demon body certainly works for building heavily armoured orcs. I’m looking forward to seeing the figures you put together over the coming weeks.

Thanks so much! Huge fan of your work on here.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 10:14:28 AM »
Great character you have created there. The parts look like they were meant to be together.

Can I suggest you swap out the bulb in your lamp for a "white" light rather than the yellow, or run your pics through a photo editor to remove the discolouration and show up the actual colours.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 01:34:00 PM »
Looking good! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 02:20:41 PM »
Wow, I bet very few would be dumb enough to mess with that guy!

Dan

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 06:10:42 PM »

Wow, I bet very few would be dumb enough to mess with that guy!

Dan

Aye, he still needs a stiff drink before any action,  but he can tussle with the best.

Great character you have created there. The parts look like they were meant to be together.

Can I suggest you swap out the bulb in your lamp for a "white" light rather than the yellow, or run your pics through a photo editor to remove the discolouration and show up the actual colours.

Thank you! I took your advice on photo editing and it makes a big difference. Getting a new lamp will be my next mission!

Here's Bolg in a new light , plus a preview of what's next: a banner bearer.

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 01:35:37 AM »
Day two and Bolg gets his first bodyguard.

Presenting Ghâshmog, Herald of Bolg. The device on the banner is Mount Gundabad with a sickle moon on black & res. Ghâshmog is based on a Wargames Atlantic late Roman soldier in lorica hamata with a WA Goblin head. These two kits are going to be used a lot for future projects,  they're just so good!

The banner arm comes from a Warlord Games Landsknecht Pikemen kit, and the banner itself from Fireforge Northman infantry. The scimitar of steel is a mix of a metal kukri & a FF NM sword on a WA Roman arm. Closer to a falchion but good enough for a scimitar.

These orcs are going to be either taller or bigger & better equipped than the spearmen to represent goblins of greater stature.

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 07:36:53 AM »
An orc a day? Fair play to you. Following with interest. Really like the Ghâshmog kitbash. Great name as well. It means something like Fire-Mouth doesn't it? That's perfect for an orcish herald.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 10:11:22 AM »
Here's Bolg in a new light , plus a preview of what's next: a banner bearer.

That's got it.  ;)
I like the Olive green you have chosen for the skintones.  Banner Bearer looks good too.
I am repairing/rebasing some Rohirrim figures at the moment but hope to get at least 1 unit of Orcs done for my LotR set before the end of the month.

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 02:05:47 PM »
An orc a day? Fair play to you. Following with interest. Really like the Ghâshmog kitbash. Great name as well. It means something like Fire-Mouth doesn't it? That's perfect for an orcish herald.

Yes, fire voice according to a Black Speech dictionary I found.  An orc a day is a tall order but I've got a lot of plastic that needs painting and this challenge should help me pit a dent in it.

That's got it.  ;)
I like the Olive green you have chosen for the skintones.  Banner Bearer looks good too.
I am repairing/rebasing some Rohirrim figures at the moment but hope to get at least 1 unit of Orcs done for my LotR set before the end of the month.

Nice! Doing a Battle of the Pelennor set?

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 04:15:02 PM »
Nice job on the second orc! I like how you got the varied pieces to look like they belong together (not always easy to do), and the banner looks great. 

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2022, 02:21:27 AM »
Nice job on the second orc! I like how you got the varied pieces to look like they belong together (not always easy to do), and the banner looks great. 

Thank you kindly! Lots of filing and chipping away with a hobby knife to get the joints to line up but it's worth it, and it's nice to use up some of the ancient bits.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2022, 10:50:06 AM »
..... Doing a Battle of the Pelennor set?
Not specifically. I am renovating my (very) old SBG collection and adding in a lot of junk "job lot" figures purchased over the years which need repair or stripping. I am working towards mass battle games with the Piquet "Archon" ancients rules. Kind of "War of the Ring" on 2/3 sized bases but without the stupid GW fantasy bits.

If you prefer book accurate orcs, you should check out the other orcs in this line I think they're pretty spot on.
I have used the larger armoured orcs from Reaper Bones as a unit of Olog Hai. Given smaller weapons and shields they look like the offspring of a Troll and are noticeably bigger than the human sized figures.

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2022, 01:03:19 AM »
Not specifically. I am renovating my (very) old SBG collection and adding in a lot of junk "job lot" figures purchased over the years which need repair or stripping. I am working towards mass battle games with the Piquet "Archon" ancients rules. Kind of "War of the Ring" on 2/3 sized bases but without the stupid GW fantasy bits....

Sounds really cool! What's your favorite find so far?