Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:06:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Perilous Tenfold Dungeons  (Read 4640 times)

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Perilous Tenfold Dungeons
« on: October 08, 2022, 11:09:37 AM »
So just after Christmas I got the chance to buy a couple of boxes of Tenfold Dungeons, The Castle and Dungeons and Sewers, although I wasn't really sure of what, if anything, I was going to do with them and on the shelf they went.

Months later, re-reading the Frostgrave solo, Perilous Dark, got me thinking about dungeon crawls as Joe McCullough has some scenarios based around it.

Then I remembered the Tenfold Dungeons and wondered if the concept could be expanded to a bigger dungeon crawl with random spawning; excitedly I penned some rough rules for room generation involving playing cards and a set of polyhedral dice to describe the size of the room, what objects and furniture to place in it and also if the room contains potions or treasure. Lastly it will generate 1-4 low level enemies per room with a chance of a more powerful enemy. The remainder of the game would be standard Frostgrave.

Then I promptly moved onto something else.

Revisited these basic ideas in the past weeks and a quick check of my scatter terrain reveals it is mostly for outdoor settings so although I have all the rooms, rules and miniatures the setting would be rather bland.

I have done a couple of jobs, priming the clear plastic door top as they looked a bit crap in clear plastic - I might paint them to match the walls surrounding the doors but they will suffice for now; the card sections of the doors reverse to show if closed or open.

The Kickstarter had some lovely looking stone framed doors but I can't find any anywhere - bugger.

Also got hold of some wedding cake stands (12 for a fiver - what Yorkshireman doesn't love a bargain?), glues card to the top and bottom, primed grey and a quick drybrush - so my indoor terrain collection starts.

Below are some of the Tenfold Dungeon set-up and the tiny bit of terrain I've recently completed.

Will use this thread to record my progress in collecting, building and painting my indoor scatter collection.

20221008_095549 by markndebs, on Flickr

20221008_100304 by markndebs, on Flickr

20221008_100259 by markndebs, on Flickr

20221008_100315 by markndebs, on Flickr

20221008_100353 by markndebs, on Flickr

20221008_101025 by markndebs, on Flickr

20221008_100922 by markndebs, on Flickr

20221008_101053 by markndebs, on Flickr

20221008_101124 by markndebs, on Flickr

20221008_101838 by markndebs, on Flickr

20221008_102010 by markndebs, on Flickr

20221008_102340 by markndebs, on Flickr

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Perilous Tenfold Dungeons
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 11:44:23 AM »
They look good. I do like how the same piece can be used both ways up, either as a room or as a platform.

The cake stands work well as pillars - finding cheap wedding items seems less likely than finding wargames stuff at that price!

By the sound of it I did something similar with the Pendraken dungeon, making a card for each piece of dungeon, then dealing these out to generate the rooms with dice for doors and contents. I used the 4 against darkness solo rules, which whilst written to be used without figures and models, actually worked really nicely with them

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 12:14:56 PM »
They look really good, I'm not familiar with Tenfold Dungeons.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 12:35:39 PM »
They look good. I do like how the same piece can be used both ways up, either as a room or as a platform.

The cake stands work well as pillars - finding cheap wedding items seems less likely than finding wargames stuff at that price!

By the sound of it I did something similar with the Pendraken dungeon, making a card for each piece of dungeon, then dealing these out to generate the rooms with dice for doors and contents. I used the 4 against darkness solo rules, which whilst written to be used without figures and models, actually worked really nicely with them

fred,

The pillars were on the second hand market but only seem to be about a pound each on Amazon.

I do like the stuff, obviously not as realistic as printed or cast stuff but cheaper and very easy to store.

4AD was really the gateway to wanting to play miniature games for me; must hunt out my old books.

They look really good, I'm not familiar with Tenfold Dungeons.

Graham,

I think it was originally a Kickstarter and the company struggled somehow. I was motivated to get it out today as I noticed this morning that Northstar are now stocking them - manufactured by Gale Force 9 it seems.

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2022, 03:42:08 PM »
Looking good - colour me interested on the generation rules

Tenfold Dungeons are rather spiffy - I have the Tomb themed one as shown here

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=132202.msg1678987#msg1678987
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline PeteW

• Scientist
  • Comfortably Numb
    • Pete Wenman Aviation Art
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2022, 04:03:14 PM »

Looking very good - I need something like this for my sci fi crawling desires.

P

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 04:35:27 PM »
Looking good - colour me interested on the generation rules

Tenfold Dungeons are rather spiffy - I have the Tomb themed one as shown here

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=132202.msg1678987#msg1678987

I know. It was your thread which first alerted me to the stuff  :D

I'll pm my rough room creation outline to you.

Looking very good - I need something like this for my sci fi crawling desires.

P

There is a sci fi version of the dungeons called The Facility.

If I didn't already own a big box of Battle Systems stuff I'd have already bought one.

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2022, 09:08:53 AM »

Got 'em and many thanks - I do love to tinker.

They do look to be a good quick way of laying out and populating the rooms.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 09:24:03 AM »
Looking good mate! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2022, 01:32:48 PM »
I have the town set and it's a good way to fill a table with buildings.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 10:36:52 AM »
Have three sets myself:

Dungeon: The dungeon has a good amount of water, which I like very much. The walls for the smaller rooms might make combat and moving miniatures cumbersome.

Town: The box design limits the village roofs to look "squashed flat". At least this allows two-story buildings. Also, if you flip the box over for the insides of the rooms, the printed doors outside are upside-down. I think the box has enough freestanding doors to overcome this, though. The town has some city-like structures, such as a town clock. I far prefer the Battle Systems Fantasy Village, although the buildings are primarily village-themed, not city.

Science Fiction: Great art and atmospheric for gamers who don't have the time and money for sf terrain. Artwork suggests more indoor spaceship, than outdoor sf.

The boxes are heavy, but I think the sets are good for lugging around and "throwing down terrain" onto a table. Assuming you don't get a hernia :P you can even toss some 3D terrain and mini's into the boxes for carrying.

Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2022, 08:41:55 AM »
So digging through the bits boxes I've found some scatter for my dungeons and got them painted or repaired/touched up this past week.

Barrels and crates which I think are from Iron Gate Scenery, as are the trapdoors.

20221101_071514 by markndebs, on Flickr

20221101_071645 by markndebs, on Flickr

20221101_071633 by markndebs, on Flickr

Also 3 firepits made from whisky bottle lids and toothpicks, an arcane circle and pit from 2 large bases  egg cartons and sand, and 2 tombs which came free with some stuff I bought from Etsy.

20221101_072117 by markndebs, on Flickr

Lastly, a couple of statues made from large bottle lids and a couple of cheap plastic miniatures, covered in very thin superglue then sprinkled with bicarb for the stone effect.

20221101_073011 by markndebs, on Flickr

I've just ordered the Wizard's Study from Mantic Terrain Crate which should add some more colourful scenery for the Castle area; I think combined with the Library pack I could easily fill 3 rooms.

However, I am determined to paint up the last 6 miniatures I need for Rangers of Shadow Deep and also a kitbashed Sci Fi boss I've had on the desk a while before I continue this set.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2022, 08:49:51 AM »
Nothing like some tasty scatter terrain the spruce things up!

Only six more figures to go for Shadow Deep! Huzzah! Looking forward to hearing how you get along with that.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2022, 09:52:06 AM »
I'd missed them in the Gale Force 9 range - thanks for the heads up :D

They're on Amazon, but the dungeon set has a slightly misleading description  lol

Main compartment with zipper and internal mesh pocket.
    Safety pocket with zipper for valuable objects on the back.
    Removable back, reflective logo.
    water resistant
    Item weight: 150.0 grams
    Strap type: Adjustable

Another one to add to the wishlist o_o

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2022, 02:56:16 PM »
I'd missed them in the Gale Force 9 range - thanks for the heads up :D

They're on Amazon, but the dungeon set has a slightly misleading description  lol

Another one to add to the wishlist o_o

I found the zipped security pocket really handy but the water resistance overall was pretty poor.

:D :D

« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 08:21:01 AM by Spinal Tap »