Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:07:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Weird Wild West -- A Rules Quest  (Read 7558 times)

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
Weird Wild West -- A Rules Quest
« on: October 17, 2009, 04:15:38 AM »

I have begun a new interest things Wild West. Hmmm, perhaps unto the arcane side of the genre.

I would gladly accept any help in finding a set of tabletop gaming rules for Weird Wild West (WWW).

By WWW I mean alternative-historico-pulp-horror-victoriana-punk-arcana. I tend to go a bit hay wire.

I'm thinking an off-the-shelf product,since I am also a bit lacking in the rules creation skills.

Your kind assistance immensely appreciated.

Cheers,
Sendak
"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
Re: Weird Wild West -- A Rules Quest
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 05:17:24 AM »
There are two options that come to mind Great Rail Wars (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12957) from Pinnacle based on their Deadlands RPG, I don't know much about these or if they are still available but I do believe they may have been replaced by Battle for Slaughter Gulch a miniatures boardgame (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39798)
But my personal recomendation would be Malifaux by Wyrd Miniatures (http://wyrd-games.net/shop/home.php) although more fantasy/ horror orientated it has a good mix of Wild West/Steampunk/Horror and has a very innovative set of rules using playing cards istead of dice. You can find out more by visiting their forum (http://www.wyrd-games.net/) if you download there e-zine  Wyrd Chronicles 1 and 2, see site navigation bar left hand side for background and fiction.
The only other option is to adapt existing rules for the Wild West the best of which I believe to be those by Foundry (http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/books/RWNN.asp)
I hope this helps
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 08:45:04 PM by elysium64 »

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 09:11:10 AM »
 I like playing the rules with no name and this varient is fun , http://mrnizz.tripod.com/files/scary_monsters_1_3.pdf

mainly for film monsters  but might be a start for you.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 10:16:15 AM »
Slaughter Gulch looks very much in the vein of last night on earth board game, didnt realise they had released that as it was I think originally going to be a strictly miniatures game.

Railwars is still available as pdf from Pinnacle games, 2nd edition plus additional books for new units, scenarios and vehicle rules.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 11:41:28 AM »
I've been kicking around the idea of using Necromunda as a basis for VSF gaming; a couple of days ago it occurred to me that it would be equally applicable to Weird Wild West (which is, I think, the American counterpart of VSF); and just today I saw a thread in "pulp" where someone had used Necro as the basis for a Pulp game... so it does have cross-genre potential.

It has the advantage of being a fairly-well known ruleset. And it's free of course, which is always nice.

EDIT in light of info given below... "Westmunda" just doesn't sound right to me! I was going to call my version "Deadville", which I think has a much more Tombstone/Dead Man's Gulch kinda vibe. But thanks for the info, I will check that out.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:37:16 PM by Red Orc »

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »
I've been kicking around the idea of using Necromunda as a basis for VSF gaming; a couple of days ago it occurred to me that it would be equally applicable to Weird Wild West (which is, I think, the American counterpart of VSF); and just today I saw a thread in "pulp" where someone had used Necro as the basis for a Pulp game... so it does have cross-genre potential.

It has the advantage of being a fairly-well known ruleset. And it's free of course, which is always nice.

I think someone's done an adaptation called Westamunda. Might be worth looking for on the Free Wargames Rules site.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Crudeboy

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 07:40:03 PM »
Pinnacle has also re-released their Showdown ruleset, which is pretty generic.

http://peginc.com/Downloads/Showdown/Showdown.pdf

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 09:38:32 PM »
I have played Strange Aeons as a western (Grim Prarie Tales) and it works quite well without any tweeking...the weapons are almost all usable...as are the monsters. Ia, Ia, pardner! At some point in the (far...) future this will most likley be an expansion.

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 01:25:47 AM »

A most delightful list of rules options. *Tips his Stetson*

Many thanks indeed.

I have begun to scratch build my terrain with a compact 4' x 4' table in mind.

The plan is for an abandoned mining camp that I can add a town "just over the hill a-ways".  Yeah, I will keep adding terrain pieces to the table. No feng shui I am afraid.

Now for an appropriately gruesome name for this mining camp....hmmmm... any ideas?

Much obliged.

Sendak

Offline Crudeboy

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 06:29:09 AM »
Hm... Right off the top of my head, something "Western-y":

Gallows Bend
Scratch Bend
Maven's Gulch
Miser's Gulch
Handler Creek

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 09:50:51 AM »
Pinnacle has also re-released their Showdown ruleset, which is pretty generic.

http://peginc.com/Downloads/Showdown/Showdown.pdf

Anyone played them? They look really interesting and the rulebook is very well laid out.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 06:37:57 PM »
Great Rail Wars is pretty good with the Derailed expansion covering Steampunk type vehicles.

The Showdown rule set is basically a "Cut Down" version of the Savage Worlds RPG cutting out the RPG elements and concentrating on the combat. It's actually a little more "In Depth" than the Rail Wars rules which are a little dated now. Also Showdown allows for scratch-building characters from any genre so Weird West stuff shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 05:30:07 AM »
I use Savage Worlds and the showdown rules extensively; I swear by them these days - one system fits all :)

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 03:45:30 AM »
Super. You fellahs are especially in the know.

Now I have my delightful wicked work cut out for me. I will be busy previewing rules sets.

Ah, lovely little Gallows Bend...its quiet here...'cept on hangin' days.

All best,

Sendak

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 11:45:40 AM »
Just noticed this thread, and a bookmark I had hidden away:
http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/Rules/19th_Century/WesternRules.html

Westamunda rules.

These sound like a lot of fun! And can borrow from Necromunda or Gorkamorka for the Wierder aspects.