Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:37:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690878
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Brethren of The New Light 18mm GZG Scifi  (Read 2017 times)

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Brethren of The New Light 18mm GZG Scifi
« on: October 20, 2022, 06:06:09 PM »
Brethren of The New Light 18mm GZG Scifi
These are the Brethren of The New Light from GZG.
Lovely minis. I quite like the LMG with the bren gun type mag
I would say they can be used for Sci-Fi, Alternate WW2 , Hammer Slammers& Star Wars rebels.

Thanks for your comments.
 Z

https://castrarunis.blogspot.com/2022/10/brethren-of-new-light-18mm-gzg-scifi.html

http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Brethren of The New Light 18mm GZG Scifi
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 03:25:09 AM »
Yes, those can work for Star Wars rebellions, thanks for the heads up.  Any idea which GZG 15 mm figures work best for Imperial Storm Troopers or other Imperial forces - like planet based forces (Star Wars, of course)?

GZG has lots of cool stuff but some of thier photos are a bit hard to see - even on a full size lap top.  Maybe I'll try using magnified views and hope the image doesn't degrade too much with enlargement.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 06:59:42 AM »
Welcome,
GZG does have a very broad range of scifi infantry minis, unfortunately, as you say not all of his pics are great.
I got a lot of them along the years so I can compare different ranges & makers.

If I were to choose I would use his Tomorrow's war US Army in Hard suits https://shop.groundzerogames.co.uk/15mm-stargrunt/infantry/tomorrows-war.html

I haven't painted mine yet so I can't show you pics.

He has several ( 6 + Power Armour ) packs in this range so you have a broad choice. You can always get a sample & compare just send him an email & ask.

Here's a link to another site with better pics.
https://clearhorizonsalvage.blogspot.com/2013/07/gzg-tomorrows-war-figures-us-army-in.html

Hope this helps
Z
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 07:02:59 AM by zrunelord »

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 07:30:22 AM »
Z

Wow.  Those look really great!

Dan

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 07:48:41 AM »

Another army done, Z! Great paintjob on these. The models look pretty cool and might indeed be the solution for people looking at 15mm Star Wars rebels.

Yes, those can work for Star Wars rebellions, thanks for the heads up.  Any idea which GZG 15 mm figures work best for Imperial Storm Troopers or other Imperial forces - like planet based forces (Star Wars, of course)?

I went this road once, but didn’t continue for various reasons, but you can make really good 15mm Stormtroopers by glueing Micromachines Stormtrooper heads on New Israeli troops from GZG.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 06:10:02 PM »

GZG has lots of cool stuff but some of thier photos are a bit hard to see - even on a full size lap top.  Maybe I'll try using magnified views and hope the image doesn't degrade too much with enlargement.

If not GZG I think these are a good shout, but maybe the guns are a bit too off?

https://www.brigademodels.co.uk/15mmSF/Yenpalo/SF15-1160.html

Maybe these from GZG if you consider painting the visor so thar there are two distinct eyes divided by a white area:

https://shop.groundzerogames.co.uk/15mm-stargrunt/infantry/outrim-coalition-orc-/sg15-rc03.html
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 07:12:30 PM by Commander Roj »

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 02:03:18 PM »
Thanks all for the comments.
Indeed you can Divismal.

Yes, Yenpalo can be used but as said you have to mod the weapons or leave them like that they are quite nice also. I also like their vehicles.

Just remembered I used Alternative Armies Imperials as StarWars ones & they fit the bill.
these https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/15mm-laserburn-and-asgard-ranges

They are nice , just keep in mind that they are pure 15mm.

Z
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 02:06:26 PM by zrunelord »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 02:48:55 PM »
So, New Light for rebels, Out Rim look like they will work for another more 'formal' rebel force of 'regulars', and those Tomorrows Wars US in hard suits for an alternative Imperial Force.  Works for me.

I have some Storm Troopers already received and others on order which includes some Rebel ship crews.  These are 'not' Star Wars figures from a couple of well known providers.  Plus orders from several other manufacturers to build a pretty large alternative Star Wars gaming set-up.  GZG is the last figure order I currently have planned.

Definitely want more for the rebel side, only need a little more for the Imperials.

Any ideas on best GZG figures for smugglers?  A force, not just a figure or two - I have the Main Characters on order from a source 'un'mentioned above.  I am aware of Rebel Minis Sahadeen which would work great but they are currently out of stock apparently (might order when back in stock) so seeking an alternative within the GZG world.

Thanks.

Edit: went ahead and placed my order with GZG after spending a couple of hours scouring for appropriate figures - and found some cool items to meet my needs.  Spent Way TOO Much money but sometimes we just have to indulge that itch.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 06:37:27 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2022, 06:33:42 PM »
If I were to build a  smugglers force I would do it as mixed as possible. I would choose from these sets....

Mercs, Cdf, Armed models from the civilians & human characters, colonial militia & kravak ( gzg klingons ).

If you want to see pics go through my blog ... I have painted & posted most if not all these. Do a search for "Minis".

There are 2 great firefly crew codes sg15- x04 & x04b... look up also sg15- x06 & x07..

This should help
Z
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 07:37:52 PM by zrunelord »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2022, 02:19:16 AM »
zrunelord,

If it is true that "great minds think alike" then we should acknowledge each other's minds!   :D ;D lol

Not in lock step, though, I didn't go for the Cravat - not a big fan of Klingons, except for Christopher Lloyd.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 06:31:29 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2022, 07:19:34 AM »
Indeed... ;)
But i would choose the Kravak for added muscle or bodyguards.
Something like mercs just for the love of it.
Btw he also has some great looking orks in the aliens
Range if I am not mistaken.

Plus you can also add some PA. He has some nice models also. In my opinion his sculptor does excellent work in almost all his ranges but it depends on my taste.

You can also get a couple of his mules (?) as transport. Lovely if a bit fiddly to build flying vehicles.

Z
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 07:26:36 AM by zrunelord »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 02:12:50 PM »
Yes, GZG has a lot of cool stuff.  I ordered some buildings for an Imperial outpost and LOTS of building parts for scratch building and plenty of parts for scatter terrain - those accessories.

I did get a couple of mules and a handful or two of bikes (that fiddliness kept me away from the transports).

If you haven't checked out their New Israeli figures, they will work great as Stormtroopers.

I've also indulged in a number of items from Hot Wheels - some I found at local Wal-Mart stores and some I ordered online.  The online orders are some AT-ST, a X-wing or two, a transport (not sure if size will be right on that), and for fun a sand crawler.  And since these are mostly die cast, should be pretty durable on the table top.  The locally found stuff are tie fighters (one for Darth and another Ginivex fighter) and an imperial shuttle vehicle.  I also bought a couple of Buzz Lightyear ships to be added to some swap meet finds to create a debris field of crashed ships (or maybe rust buckets at one of the ports, maybe my smuggler's port of Lost Wisely).  The three Squadron items I bought locally may be too big and I will return if the online ordered items work better.

On another thread I started on this board you can see the two Imperial walkers and my Millennium Falcon courtesy of Disneyland - and my wallet!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 04:04:24 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 04:15:07 PM »
Yes he does... & he's a great guy to deal with.... been getting stuff from him for ages.... pity he did not do his usual super summer sale ( as far as I know ).
You should also look up Brigade Models also in UK. Another great guy to get stuff from , I bet you will find stuff for SW there also e.g. his desert dwellings.

Re
If you haven't checked out their New Israeli figures, they will work great as Stormtroopers.

Just have a look here  ;) https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=137578.msg1749673#msg1749673

As to vehicles , not only hot wheels but also matchbox. And there are some Chinese companies which do some great die cast models ripe for us.

Like these https://castrarunis.blogspot.com/2017/03/gpk-galactic-peace-keepers.html

converted to these

And if you want ideas on how to scratch build desert dwellings then look here.

https://castrarunis.blogspot.com/2022/09/scratchbuilt-18mm-scifi-desert.html
& here
https://castrarunis.blogspot.com/2022/08/scratchbuilt-18mm-scifi-desert-buildings.html

Z

« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 04:16:53 PM by zrunelord »

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 07:43:36 PM »
What Z said! Diecast models have no fixed scale. Siku, Matchbox, Hotwheels and Co. produce ANY model in a size that fits the blister. So with a little bit of searching you get many excellent models that are spot on for 15mm here!

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2022, 10:23:29 PM »
Z

Since I think in my native Spanish, I couldn’t help but mentally translate the name of the group:

La Hermandad de la Nueva Luz

Sounds fancy and so official when said out loud.  Lol

Dan