Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:23:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Best books on the First Anglo Sikh War  (Read 2207 times)

Online olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Best books on the First Anglo Sikh War
« on: November 02, 2022, 03:27:10 PM »
I want to do a bit of general research into this conflict. Originally I thought about doing the Sudan as my 'Colonial Escapade' but, before I take the plunge I thought I'd better take a look at the Anglo Sikh Wars.

So, I'd like pointers to a page-turning, easy to read general history / overview (to get my bearings), a similar book but more meaty to read after it, and a few books which detail the basic OOB and uniforms (the latter being important because if it happens it will be a miniatures collection, after all).

Also, if it's not too much trouble, suggestions on 28mm manufacturers. The collection will probably end up as substantial as the rest (2000+) so I don't mind a collection being eclectic to get [almost] everything to make the conflict 'campaignable'.

Offline bythelee

• Schoolboy
Re: Best books on the First Anglo Sikh War
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 04:09:10 PM »
I recommend At Them With The Bayonet by Donald Featherstone. Its out of print but you should be able to pick up a second hand copy.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 04:11:35 PM »
Check out Helion and Co Publishing:

The Rise of the Sikh Soldier, The Sikh Warrior through the ages, c1700-1900, Gurinder Singh Mann:
https://www.helion.co.uk/military-history-books/the-rise-of-the-sikh-soldier-the-sikh-warrior-through-the-ages-c1700-1900.php?sid=da1ff14de556cfec79289735085f8933

The British and the Sikhs : Discovery, Warfare and Friendship c1700-1900
MORE INFO

The British and the Sikhs, Discovery, Warfare and Friendship c1700-1900, Gurinder Singh Mann:
https://www.helion.co.uk/series/from-musket-to-maxim-1815-1914.php?sid=da1ff14de556cfec79289735085f8933

https://www.helion.co.uk/images/books/i2/helion1000802.jpg

Osprey do an outline in their Essential Histories series.
The First Anglo-Sikh War 1845–46: The betrayal of the Khalsa:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Anglo-Sikh-War-1845-46-betrayal/dp/147283447X/ref=sr_1_3?crid=261VNKR9KYKRS&keywords=anglo+sikh+war&qid=1667405366&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&s=books&sprefix=anglo+sikh+war%2Cstripbooks%2C69&sr=1-3

All good starting points

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 05:28:09 PM »
I learned everything I know about the war from Flashy. Not sure he's exactly unbiased, but he's very entertaining.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 06:28:31 PM »
I learned everything I know about the war from Flashy. Not sure he's exactly unbiased, but he's very entertaining.  :)

There is some truth in that  lol

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 07:37:15 PM »
Ok I have to ask, what is happening here?

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 07:47:04 PM »
Ok I have to ask, what is happening here?

Tiffin

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 08:41:24 PM »
I recommend At Them With The Bayonet by Donald Featherstone. Its out of print but you should be able to pick up a second hand copy.
+1
I have a signed copy ( turns out my Grandad played bowls with Don once and end up with a signed copy of his book which I inherited) and it's a very good and enjoyable read.

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2022, 10:48:43 AM »
The Osprey is a good introduction. Amarpal Singh’s 2 books on the Wars are essential in depth accounts. HCB Cook’s “The Sikh Wars” is older but a good overview. Flashman is a must-read.

For figures, the new Iron Duke range (sold by Empress) promises to be the definitive collection, if he covers the Wars to the same level as his earlier Mutiny collection - which also has some useful packs.

Can’t remember who now carries the Studio Miniatures range - started well but the sculpting of some of the later packs (especially the cavalry) wasn’t so good. The Wargames Foundry Sikh Wars range are mainly ‘true 25’s’, though their later Tribal Warriors are closer to 28mm and offer additional Irregular/Afghan types

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2022, 11:31:19 AM »
For figures, the new Iron Duke range (sold by Empress) promises to be the definitive collection, if he covers the Wars to the same level as his earlier Mutiny collection - which also has some useful packs.

Agreed. The Iron Duke range for the Sikh Wars are absolutely superb (and their superb The Orange River, the GAPS, the Indian Mutiny ranges!)

Can’t remember who now carries the Studio Miniatures range - started well but the sculpting of some of the later packs (especially the cavalry) wasn’t so good. The Wargames Foundry Sikh Wars range are mainly ‘true 25’s’, though their later Tribal Warriors are closer to 28mm and offer additional Irregular/Afghan types

Bicorne Miniatures are now the proud vendors of the Studio miniatures Sikh Wars range:
https://www.bicorne.net/acatalog/Sikh-Wars.html
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 04:34:55 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 02:57:29 PM »
Hey Olicana Lad, I am a fair way through a Sikh Wars collection in 28mm.

The very best books for me are The two by Amarpal Singh, The First Anglo-Sikh War and (surprise!) The Second Anglo-Sikh War, loads of detail, the second War really got my imagination with large battles of thousands of troops with just 2 Europeans, the commander being a Lieutenant.

Anyway for Figures the best by far are Iron Duke/Empress, they mix well with Foundry surprisingly so this gives you lots to go at. Studio Miniatures have a decent range taller than the others so wont mix in units but fine side by side. Lots of other troops you can mix in.

You will find a few example units on my blog here if its helpful: https://gapagnw.blogspot.com/

Just go to Labels for Sikh Wars, example here https://gapagnw.blogspot.com/2021/11/more-bahawalpur-contingent-baluchi.html

Not gaming with them enough as I haven't found rules I am happy with so look forward to any results you might have, Far more interesting than Sudan!
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2022, 06:58:39 PM »
Yeah, Amarpal Singh Sidhu's two books are the ones you want.

There is loads of uniform detail available on blogs including mine and elsewhere via a google search.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2022, 11:14:21 PM »
The Osprey on the Sikh army covers recruitment and organization, not tactics. It's decent enough on the topics it does deal with.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 11:16:12 PM by huevans »

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2022, 11:17:15 PM »
Yeah, Amarpal Singh Sidhu's two books are the ones you want.

There is loads of uniform detail available on blogs including mine and elsewhere via a google search.

Can you post or message me the link for your blog?

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2022, 11:24:43 PM »
Hey Olicana Lad, I am a fair way through a Sikh Wars collection in 28mm.

The very best books for me are The two by Amarpal Singh, The First Anglo-Sikh War and (surprise!) The Second Anglo-Sikh War, loads of detail, the second War really got my imagination with large battles of thousands of troops with just 2 Europeans, the commander being a Lieutenant.

Anyway for Figures the best by far are Iron Duke/Empress, they mix well with Foundry surprisingly so this gives you lots to go at. Studio Miniatures have a decent range taller than the others so wont mix in units but fine side by side. Lots of other troops you can mix in.

You will find a few example units on my blog here if its helpful: https://gapagnw.blogspot.com/

Just go to Labels for Sikh Wars, example here https://gapagnw.blogspot.com/2021/11/more-bahawalpur-contingent-baluchi.html

Not gaming with them enough as I haven't found rules I am happy with so look forward to any results you might have, Far more interesting than Sudan!

I haven't tried working out battle gaming rules, as I want to try small skirmish / RPG-ing with my figures. But based on the Amirpal book on the Second S War, I would suggest:

1. Sikh regulars have high morale and equivalent musketry to British European units. And better morale and musketry than sepoy units.
2. Sikh regulars might not be as maneuverable. This is based on their choice to always defend fixed positions.
3. Sikh garrison and feudal troops use matchlocks and have a slow rare of fire. These troops have shakier morale and cannot maneuver at all. They can just hold positions.
4. Gorchurra is not controllable. They may charge or simply remain at the halt depending on dice roll. If charged, they can either melee (with a higher melee value than British cavalry btw) or simply disintegrate, depending on dice roll. You can give them advantages in skirmishing, reconnaissance and looting. They were probably far better than British cavalry at those things.
5. Not sure how much regular cavalry the Sikhs had or whether it was much better than the Gorchurra.
6. You could also add in rules about the Sikh irregulars responding well to a charismatic leader and melting away if he is killed. It would seem the sort of thing that feudal levies would be prone to do.
7. Throw in rules about Sikh and Sikh-allied leaders being bribe-able or just daft at times. If Sirdar Jagbir Singh the Lion of Amritsar rolls a 6, he simply rides off the table leaving his feudal troops with no orders - THAT sort of thing.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 11:32:02 PM by huevans »