Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:47:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Waterloo in 28mm - My journey log  (Read 49589 times)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Waterloo in 28mm - My journey log
« Reply #240 on: September 28, 2023, 01:40:30 AM »
Normal Helge speed is rather good...  While anniversaries are nice don't break yourself to meet an arbitrary deadline for the first army.  You after all have two more planned! 
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #241 on: October 11, 2023, 02:36:13 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words. Just a quick update. I am still in the fight for November and making good progress on the Brunswick infantry. Bad weather over the last couple of weeks have made it risky to spray varnish them so I am accumulated "painted, not based" units. Hopefully I can post the full brigade this weekend. Then it's on to the last British infantry (4th Brigade).

Meanwhile, I realized that I forgot to post the Brunswick command for the previously completed Line Brigade. So here they are! First we have the divisional commander, the Duke of Brunswick with staff and ADC as usual. In history, he was killed two days earlier during the battle of Quatre-Bras but Perry makes the model, so...

And then we the brigade commander Lt.-Col. von Specht leading the Line Brigade that I posted a few weeks ago.

Every time I look at the Brunswick division, I just imagine the following dialogue with the Duke:
Adjutant: Duke, what uniform colour shall we use for the Line infantry?
Duke: Black
Adjutant: And maybe some green for the Light infantry?
Adjutant: But surely the cavalry will have some other colour?
Adjutant: Ok, but maybe at least the senior officers will have something a bit more interest?
Duke: Nope, black. All black...
Adjutant: ...
Duke: Except you. You get baby blue pants! Just you...

:)
Wargaming Workshop - My hobby journey and collection
Allied Army of the Netherlands - my current Waterloo 28mm project

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #242 on: October 14, 2023, 05:07:54 PM »
The weather was kind, so here we go with the entire remaining Brunswick infantry!

The Advance Guard is commanded by Major von Rauschenplatt and composed of two companies of Jaeger and two companies of Gelernte Jaeger (Skilled or Trained Hunters). I modelled these in the style of the Rifles with a formed unit of Jaeger in black and a skirmish screen of Gelernte Jaeger in grey.

Afterwards we have the Light Brigade commanded by Lt.Col. von Buttlar. This is composed of the Leib Battalion - the lifeguards of the Duke - and three Light battalions with buff, yellow and orange facings. All Perry except the 3rd Light from Rapier. I also added a small drum band from spare models for fun.

Next on the list is the British 4th Brigade as the last engaged infantry formation. Then it's only cavalry and artillery left for my first anniversary goal. Getting there!

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #243 on: October 15, 2023, 10:47:19 AM »
This project is amazing!

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #244 on: October 15, 2023, 08:14:57 PM »
Unbelievable stamina on your part Helge, you are an inspiration both in output and quality!
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #245 on: October 22, 2023, 03:48:55 AM »
Thank you both. Still going strong on that objective. One month to go...

I am digging into the 1st British Cavalry Brigade, the Household Brigade. Here we have Major General Sommerset and 1st and 2nd Life Guards. These are Victrix plastic models which are quite nice.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 12:22:47 AM by Helge »

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #246 on: October 22, 2023, 02:29:18 PM »
But a blob of black/grey on the end of the bugle, it'll really pop, then!
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #247 on: October 23, 2023, 12:22:28 AM »
But a blob of black/grey on the end of the bugle, it'll really pop, then!

Absolutely right and now corrected. I usually drill out the trumpets but this was a new kit from Victrix - recently released - so I overlooked that part. Fixed now with some paint.

Also, we now have the three squadrons of the "Blues", the Royal House Guard. Almost done with the Household Brigade.

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #248 on: October 25, 2023, 04:07:02 AM »
And here we have 1st Dragoon Guards to finish the brigade. On to some more redcoats...

Offline Count Belisarius

• Bookworm
    • Another Slight Diversion
« Reply #249 on: October 25, 2023, 10:34:47 AM »
Very nicely done

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #250 on: October 25, 2023, 05:00:09 PM »
It's been a fair bit since I checked in here.  More great-looking stuff.  Well done, again!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #251 on: October 25, 2023, 09:41:08 PM »
Thank you both for the kind words. One month left for my self-imposed one year project anniversary. Excluding the less engaged Landwehr and the Netherlands Cavalry Division, I need to complete:

3 battalions of British infantry (4th Brigade)
2 batteries of Brunswick artillery
2 regiments of Brunswick cavalry
7 regiments of British/KGL/Hannover Hussars

If I can get three units done per week, I might just make it! Final sprint!

Also, I owe you H Troop of the Royal Horse Artillery since I wanted to post one RHA battery per  cavalry brigade (they got batch painted a while ago). So  here they are:

« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 10:27:08 PM by Helge »

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #252 on: October 26, 2023, 01:18:53 PM »
And then we have the brigade commander Lt.-Col. von Specht leading the Line Brigade that I posted a few weeks ago.

Much as I hate to do it, especially in light of your splendid effort to represent Die Schwarze Schar as more than just a handful of combat units, I'm afraid I have some bad news for you (well, four bits of bad news, in fact).

1) Lt Col von Specht deserted during the retreat after Quatre Brase, possibly even a bit earlier.  His absence was noted by the Brunswick staff, and all officers in his command were briefed to reply "I don't know" if any senior officers - up to and including Wellington - were to ask them where he was.  Specht returned two days later, but everyone refused to serve under him and he appears to have taken no part in the battle of Waterloo.  Never mind, you can always claim that the figure is his replacement (I regret that I have been unable to find out who it was).

2) Major Adolph (there's a name you don't find very much nowadays) von Rauschehplatt of the Avante Garde was a Gerlente Jager officer and hence wore their grey uniform and the Crosehut hat.  However, he was severely wounded at Quatre Bras, losing his right arm, and was not present at Waterloo; he was replaced by Captain von Bulow I of the 1st Light Battalion, who was promoted to Major on the morning of 18th June (not to be confused with another Captain von Bulow II of 2nd Line Battalion who was killed at QB).  Von Bulow was himself wounded on 18th June.  I regret that I cannot help with the colour(s) of his horse furniture - I would be tempted to go with black, with a light blue trim.

3) Lt Col von Buttlar is depicted in the uniform of the Leib Garde Battalion (formerly Battalion von Prosstler); however, there is no record of him serving in the Peninsula, so it is more likely he would have been drawn from the Westphalian veterans who joined the Duke in 1813/1814.  On that basis, he would have worn Light Infantry uniform, with a light blue-over-yellow plume, but (most likely) with the light blue facings of the staff. He was wounded at Waterloo and replaced by Major von Wolffradt, who was a former Peninsula veteran, so might well have had that uniform.

4) I liked your little unit of drummers - in fact, the "Black Horde" actually had a full band, drawn from the orchestra of Jerome's court, prior to his abdication/flight.  They were attached to the 1st Line Battalion, and as such should have red facings.  Sorry!

As a placatory gift, don't forget the Polizei Husaren, a unit of 17 (or possibly 19) men, all sergeants with the appropriate rank badges, who provided support services to the staff, as well as carrying out Military Police functions.  They wore the hussar uniform - no pelisse or carbine - with a red collar, light blue cuffs, a light blue and yellow barrel sash, and a white falling plume on the shako (http://www.braunschweiger-feldkorps.de/ on the left-hand menu, click on "Representations" and scroll down to the last but one set, which is of the cavalry impressions).
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Gunner who?

• Bookworm
« Reply #253 on: October 26, 2023, 03:34:33 PM »
Beautiful miniatures and painting Helge! And I admire your pace - what an effort! Forgive me please, just a remark: I think the helmets of Household-Regiments had brass peaks...?

Cheers

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #254 on: October 27, 2023, 03:38:33 AM »
I think the helmets of Household-Regiments had brass peaks...?

They are painted as such, unless I am missing something. Brass on the helmets and then the plumes. Am I misunderstanding your question?

Much as I hate to do it, especially in light of your splendid effort to represent Die Schwarze Schar as more than just a handful of combat units, I'm afraid I have some bad news for you (well, four bits of bad news, in fact).

First of all, I am much impressed by this wealth of knowledge! Thank you for sharing. Let me address them one at a time:

1. Specht: Replacement it is. The same is true for the Duke of Brunswick base since he was also absent during Waterloo - killed at Quatre Bras - so technically the model should represent Col. Offermann. Both models will do proxy duty for Quatre Bras vs Waterloo.

2. Rauschenplatt: Honestly, I only included him because the Perry set came with three mounted commanders. I guess he could be von Buttlar instead per your next point :).

3. Buttlar: With Rauschenplatt becoming Buttlar, I shall christen old Buttlar to be von Wolffradt in Leib uniform. Problem solved :)

4. Drummers: Corrected below :).

I have also updated the Brunswick section of the page for the collection with credit to you. Hopefully it is all correct now. Thanks again!