Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:55:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 864
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Song of Billy No Mates  (Read 2863 times)

Offline MysteryMachine

• Bookworm
Re: Song of Billy No Mates
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2022, 05:52:10 PM »
This battle report is amazing - fantastic miniatures and terrain, and a very entertaining narrative.

I picked up Advanced Song of Blade and Heroes as a good starting point for skirmishes as my collection grows. Is there a big difference between ASOBH and SOBH? Or do people use them interchangeably. I have yet to try it.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2022, 07:38:47 PM »
This battle report is amazing - fantastic miniatures and terrain, and a very entertaining narrative.

I picked up Advanced Song of Blade and Heroes as a good starting point for skirmishes as my collection grows. Is there a big difference between ASOBH and SOBH? Or do people use them interchangeably. I have yet to try it.

It’s mostly details. For instance, interrupting moves, more spells and rules for some weapons. I’m not convinced it’s a better game, though. I prefer SoBH (vanilla) and add rules from the other sets.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2022, 07:40:54 PM »

The big difference is that ASOBH allows reactions. So if your opponent fails with an activation attempt, you can attempt a reaction (an action that takes place in his turn). This is great for a two-player game, but a bit convoluted in a multi-player game. But you can simply drop them in a multi-player game.

Other than that, the main change is that some traits have been 'disaggregated' in ASOBH (so the negative and positive aspects of certain traits might be split out into separate rules, for example). So not every trait is exactly the same in both games (though a lot are), and there are lot more traits in ASOBH.

(And what DivisMal said!)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2022, 10:05:06 PM »
The big difference is that ASOBH allows reactions. So if your opponent fails with an activation attempt, you can attempt a reaction (an action that takes place in his turn). This is great for a two-player game, but a bit convoluted in a multi-player game. But you can simply drop them in a multi-player game.

Other than that, the main change is that some traits have been 'disaggregated' in ASOBH (so the negative and positive aspects of certain traits might be split out into separate rules, for example). So not every trait is exactly the same in both games (though a lot are), and there are lot more traits in ASOBH.

(And what DivisMal said!)

Reactions! That’s what it was called, not interrupts. I feel that high Q models are already badly off and this is another penalty.

It works great with Sci Fi though giving a little Infinity feel.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2022, 10:28:23 PM »
I largely agree that regular SBH gives a smoother, probably better, game than Advanced. As you point out, DivisMal, reactions probably work great for some genres. Sci-fi is a good shout. Fistful of Kung Fu uses them too, which really gives that furious fighting feel. Well, so I assume, I still have yet to play it  lol

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2022, 11:26:24 PM »
I seem to remember that ASOBH also inclines the player towards a slightly smaller warband (with more personalities and traits): that is, the example profiles tend to be more expensive, and up to half the points can be spent on personalities (rather than a third?).

That's probably a good thing - while both versions probably work best with five to ten figures a side, ASOBH might be optimal nearer the five-a-side end. If you were going up to 15 or so, basic SOBH is your.best bet, I think.

I think Fistful of Kung Fu also encourages a smaller gang of characters.

It occurs to me that I haven't bought Fear and Faith - must put that right!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2022, 05:08:12 AM »
Lol! And I will treat myself with a Fistful of Kung Fu. Got those TMNT lying around for ages…

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2022, 08:04:31 AM »
up to half the points can be spent on personalities (rather than a third?)

This is correct; standard SBH recommends 300 points with a strict 33% limitation on Personality traits. Advanced SBH recommends 400 points with a 50% limitation.

Personally, while I generally find standard SBH the preferable of the two, due to its less "bloated" nature than its Advanced cousin (mostly in terms of traits, but also the wholly unnecessary and honestly not-very-good fantasy setting), I do like that adjustment to the warband points/personality ratio, and will likely borrow it for games of standard SBH.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 12:24:39 PM by tikitang »
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2022, 05:28:33 AM »
Fantastic looking game. Your great figures and scenery really lift the game.

SoBH is still one of my favourite games and it does play very well solo too (I use the Lone Blade solo rules). Its great you can use any spare figures from your collection.

I tried the advanced version but like others, i found the original a smoother game. But I've played a lot of Sellswords and Spellslingers since playing ASoBH, so maybe the reactions won't be as jarring as before.

I do borrow some traits from ASoBH for my warbands and I find it gives them a bit more flavour. I'm usually hosting a game so the traits and stats don't get abused.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2022, 09:40:23 AM »
Lovely scenario. Must finally play a game of Gods and Mortals.

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2022, 12:20:45 PM »
Beautifully painted minis  :-*