Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:12:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Post-Apoc Figures and Terrain (Planet of the Apes added 3/27/24)  (Read 13034 times)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: My Post-Apoc Figures and Terrain (3 corner ruins added 1/26/24)
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2024, 11:01:34 PM »
Thanks for the insights, that advice makes sense. My pal printed 10 or 12 buildings in 10mm scale for me, so I may do a little experimentation - paint 1 or 2, tweak the approach on the next couple, then use whichever works best for the rest. I’m hoping they will come out as well as yours do!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: My Post-Apoc Figures and Terrain (3 corner ruins added 1/26/24)
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2024, 02:21:48 AM »

Here's another ruin that I just finished up. This is once again purchased from my good friend Rusty Parker at Jarl's Workshop. When I bought it, I had no idea that the partial second and third story floors were what was taped to the side of the print. I was actually more happy with it after I'd put it all together. Good stuff -- easy to assemble, easy to paint up, and a nice three story vertical look for the tabletop.

Like a few of the other 3-D printed buildings I purchased from him, it has a ring of foundations enclosing a relatively overgrown area within the walls. I kicked myself after finishing it for not throwing in some rubble or ruins inside the rectangle of the stone walls. I feel it would have looked much better. Still, I think the vertical element of this piece, rising to three stories tall, will do good in breaking up the silhouette of the tabletop.

I used my usual recipe of spraying priming with Krylon matte black, sealing it with a 50/50 acrylic black paint and water mix to seep into the crevices, and then wet brushing and dry brushing. It took a couple coats of the yellow/tan plaster color to cover sufficiently. That said, I probably should have "dirtied up" the walls more. I used Woodland Scenics flocking and clump foliage to represent the overgrown, sediment filled area within the foundations.

All in all, another reasonably decent looking building to create me ruined cityscape for my post-apocalyptic games. Hope you like it! And I appreciate everyone's kind comments on this thread. I am really looking forward to my next post-apoc scenario and what my full board of ruins will look like... :-*

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: My Post-Apoc Figures and Terrain (another building added 1/28/24)
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2024, 10:45:50 PM »
That looks good too, Mike1
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2024, 10:07:23 PM »
The bricks on the edges look good Mike, I'd want to add some ladders for sniper positions up there, and maybe a mattress/bottles on the top "crowsnest"

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2024, 11:54:00 PM »
The bricks on the edges look good Mike, I'd want to add some ladders for sniper positions up there, and maybe a mattress/bottles on the top "crowsnest"

Good idea, or maybe some barrels or a dresser or cabinet stacked to climb up? I even have some bottles as plastic scatter terrain. Next ruin...  :D

Mike Demana

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2024, 08:13:37 AM »
I kicked myself after finishing it for not throwing in some rubble or ruins inside the rectangle of the stone walls. I feel it would have looked much better.

Perhaps you can make separate small piles on thin plastic card that you can put inside the ruins. I've done this myself for easier storage (separate base, separate ruined corners and separate rubble piles).

T.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2024, 11:55:29 PM »
Perhaps you can make separate small piles on thin plastic card that you can put inside the ruins.

Good suggestion, Sarge! The flocked area was designed to be irregular and bumpy. So, that will complicate matters, but not make it impossible. I have LOTS of scatter. I need to move some of it into the queue...

Mike Demana

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2024, 04:17:03 PM »

Just finished up a troop of mounted gorillas. Three of the five figs are from Battle Valor Games and their former Sgt. Major Miniatures lines. The other two are 3-D printed miniatures from JS Wargamer Printing.

Battle Valor Games 28mm metal miniatures

When I was taking photos of the mounted troopers, I decided to get the whole Planet of the Apes force out. Pictures are below.

3-D printed from JS Wargamer Printing

A couple pics of the whole force assembled...

Here were the very first Planet of the Apes figs I painted -- Eureka Miniatures chimpanzees.

The next up are gorilla infantry originally from Sgt. Major Miniatures, with reinforcements from Battle Valor Games.

The mounted General Urco - does anyone know where he is from? He was given to me by a friend

Some character-type figures. The seated figure is from Brigade Games "Atomic Cafe" line. The officer smoking the cigar is from Eureka. Dr. Zaius is from Battle Valor, I believe, as is Maurice the hulking orangutan.

And finally, the recently-painted Gibbon monkeys...

That is probably it for awhile. I have more than enough to create a force for my Xenos Rampant Sci-Fi games, and more than plenty for my post-apocalyptic skirmish with Wiley Games rules. Unless a new project rears its shiny head, I don't think I will needing to paint up anymore. But then again, there IS that new movie coming out...!  lol

Hope you enjoy my monkey business...! (And yes, I know apes are monkeys  :D )

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: My Post-Apoc Figures and Terrain (Planet of the Apes added 3/27/24)
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2024, 08:31:26 PM »
Okay then.  Looks like you're all in on that.  And they all look great!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2024, 09:26:55 PM »
Thanks, Jim! See you at Drums (or DayCon if you end up going...)!

Mike Demana

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2024, 10:38:58 PM »
The ape models are amazing.

I'm a big fan of the original Planet of the Apes flicks, but haven't watched the new ones. Are they worth it? I need something to check out this summer anyway.

And is this project really done? Is any project really ever done? You'll be back to add another model or two... and I'll be lurking LAF to check em out.

Great work, Mike!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2024, 02:48:05 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments! Oh, I imagine there is an ape or two left to be painted. My apes have already seen action in two campaigns over the years, and are about to engage in a third one. The first one, way, way back when was Mutants and Death Ray Guns. That's why one chimpanzee is armed only with a pole. We were limited on weapons in the campaign, so I had to convert one of the Eureka Chimps to some sort of melee weapon.

The second campaign was much more recent - my post-apocalyptic campaign I've been running with Wiley Games rules. They were the "bad guys" in the campaign's only cooperative game, so far. All other games were competitive with rival survivor gangs at least potentially hostile. See my "Where the Dark Things Gather" for that battle report.
https://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/2023/12/a-truce-was-struck-between-rival-gangs.html

The third game they will be used in will be Xenos Rampant. They are one of my "Detachments," so should see action in a 6-player game coming up soon. So, stay tuned to see the apes in action!

As for the movies, I DO like them. They are hit or miss at times. The reboot first one was a little plodding and pompous at times, I felt. I have liked them after that, and am looking forward to the release of "Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes" next month.

Thanks again for the kind words!

Mike Demana