Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:32:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

Which topic shall we choose for BSC2023

Place of worship
24 (33.8%)
Conveyance
16 (22.5%)
Based on children's toy (or part of)
10 (14.1%)
2' x 2 ' game board
14 (19.7%)
nature's bounty
2 (2.8%)
stealth
5 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: January 24, 2023, 02:53:46 PM

Author Topic: Build Something Competition 2023 - topic poll  (Read 3866 times)

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Build Something Competition 2023 - topic poll
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2023, 02:33:58 AM »
Three of the top four vote getters all work for me - and I could probably combine those three into one. 

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2023, 04:46:50 AM »
Three of the top four vote getters all work for me - and I could probably combine those three into one.

Ruined abbey on a back of a giant 2'x2' turtle?

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2023, 06:12:05 AM »
Ruined abbey on a back of a giant 2'x2' turtle?
Ooh, that's a good one!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2023, 06:19:31 AM »
Forgive me but how does the contest work?

Though lots of folk are wrong (i.e. have voted differently to me) I'm going to give this a shot but unsure what happens once the poll is closed...

Duh - just noticed:
Following that, I will give a week or so of grace and then publish the guidelines to hopefully start in the first week of February.
Just to add some detail - as per previous years, participants would have a week to register their interest and intent to take part , and set up a thread with the name of their build. Over a set number of weeks, the participants would need to post photos showing progress of the build; no painting is allowed other than any details which HAVE to be painted before continuing assembly. Most of the materials used should NOT be commercial model parts, but bits and pieces of stuff which are not scale models - if the toy were to be the chosen option for the competition, I'd need to set this out in some detail - using a toy car as a post-apocalyptic racer by adding a couple of guns is not exactly in the spirit of the competition; but using a loco chassis to build an Ultramarines train (I think I had seen this somewhere!) with completely new bodywork probably would be fine.
At the end of the construction you would need to send me photos of the finished (and painted) model, and I would set up polls for voting the winner in two or three rounds.  :D

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2023, 06:57:03 AM »
Though lots of folk are wrong (i.e. have voted differently to me)

lol lol lol
I find that a lot too.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2023, 08:15:51 AM »
Looks like we've been stalled at 54 votes for a few days. Did we want to try and reach out to the F*cebook crafting groups to see if we can attract new people?

That’s not really in the spirit of the LAF or the BSC.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2023, 09:49:28 PM »
That’s not really in the spirit of the LAF or the BSC.

Hence the question, as I'm all for keeping forums from dying by poaching people from the evil F*cebook

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2023, 08:36:52 PM »
Do you also open this to:

I would also include https://www.reddit.com/r/TerrainBuilding/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/dioramas/ ?

129K members of the first group and 60K in the second (though no idea how many are active / joint members)...

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2023, 12:17:01 PM »
I refuse to vote on the grounds that I could choose the theme and still not make it past the first round.  I'd rather be surprised but plan on participating.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2023, 07:35:21 AM »
As pointed out in an earlier mail, the spirit of the BSC is not to get huge numbers competing, but for members to have fun and build stuff, demonstrating how they tackle their projects. There is nothing wrong with letting others know about BSC, and any member, including anyone who joins up after hearing of the BSC,  can participate. If we get a few hundred participants I'd just have loads more work setting up the polls and replying to people and ... er ... oh dear :o

@pistolpete - I never got through the first round, and thrice failed to complete my project. I would guess that even if, as coordinator, I selected the topic, then cheated and started my build three years in advance, taking all the photos needed, and then let everyone know the topic just at the start of the actual BSC, I would still not make it through round 1 - I personally do not have the hobby time (a fine excuse for not admitting I rush things too much :D ) to get stuff done well enough to compete with what some people here produce by bashing stuff together in a few weeks, or even less! In your case, I still remember your cool pool from last year, and a quick look reminded me of the cliffs and rope bridge from 2021, which I wish I owned.
That was a classic year, by the way, it was the one I put most time and effort into in my case, and I am really happy with the scenery I produced - which got 0 votes  lol
Last year I put in as much effort, but it needed more to be finished, so it's now (a year later) complete, but STILL unpainted.
Ah well, better luck this time.

For anyone new to this thread, two days left for voting, so we'll soon be starting.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2023, 03:49:04 PM »
Well that's that: we went for a place of worship for BSC2023.
I will launch this over the weekend, probably.
Thanks to everyone who had suggested contenders for the shortlist, who voted, and who commented.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2023, 11:18:54 AM »
Vanvlak, may I suggest that you ask the admins to move the 2022 posts to the BS Archive. It is getting a bit messy in the BS thread.